Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Brian Brand

Re: The Don at Inverurie
« Reply #15 on: 23/01/2009 at 21:32 »
I am same as some above, I will be taking out a permit for Inverurie Burgh this year, some great Trout fishing area's.

Iain, yes you can still fish the Ury on a Sunday (but not the Don at the Burgh)
I used to leave the car behind the cemetery walk across the field then through the woods & then fish back to the bridge.

The Ury is where i started fishing when I was about 8 or 9, was only a couple minutes from my home.
When I was about 10 I used to go down there myself go home for something to eat then head back down to the River, no over protective parents in those days.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be :z4

Regards,
Bri.

gibbyboy

« Reply #16 on: 26/01/2009 at 16:26 »
not long until season starts now.....

what like is the water usually at the start of the season? i take it its more than suitable for the fly from the get go or do folk (that usually use the fly) start off with spinners??

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #17 on: 26/01/2009 at 20:56 »
You can fish the fly right from the start, in fact it is often more productive than spinning.

gibbyboy

« Reply #18 on: 27/01/2009 at 11:54 »
good stuff.....ill get a feel for the water soon enough im sure  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 27/01/2009 at 21:55 »
It was good to see the paths, stiles, benches and rod rests in pretty good condition at Inverurie today :z16

Who is looking after these "Bri"? They are doing a good job and the huts were clean too :z16

There are a couple of trees down here and there, but these looked like recent falls and were easy enough to get round.

Best wishes
Mike

Brian Brand

« Reply #20 on: 27/01/2009 at 22:06 »
I would assume it was the council, if it is then that's a good sign.

I haven't been down myself for a look but will ask around, there was a joint meeting between the clubs and council last November so it may have come up then.

Regards,
Bri.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 27/01/2009 at 22:12 »
Great stuff Brian :z16

I was impressed today, I haven't seen the beat looking so good for years and ready for the start of the season too :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #22 on: 27/01/2009 at 22:53 »
Great stuff Brian :z16

I was impressed today, I haven't seen the beat looking so good for years and ready for the start of the season too :cool:

Cheers
Mike

I think your getting the river itch Mike :z15

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 27/01/2009 at 23:14 »
I think your getting the river itch Mike :z15

Caught that a long, long time ago Noel .... and apparently there's no cure :z4

Cheers
Mike

Duncan McRae

« Reply #24 on: 29/01/2009 at 15:12 »
Mike

Your photos show work carried out at the top end of the beat by some of the regular local anglers.
I believe that they have been forced into purchasing their own strimmer due to the council no longer maintaining the river banks.
The local angling club were unable to help them out so they have decided to go it alone.
They have done a really great job but it's a relatively short stretch of the beat that they look after.
Come July,most of the beat has become an overgrown wilderness with many good pools unfishable.The situation is even worse on the river Ury.
In early October i decided to have a try for Salmon on both the lower Inverurie beat and the Ury and in many spots i couldn't get near the water for the Dense vegetation.
Given the splendid job they have done at the top end of the beat,i think that these local guys should consider forming their own club and take on the maintenance of the entire Inverurie beat.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 29/01/2009 at 15:36 »
Hi Duncan
Thanks for that information :z16

Must confess that I was a bit surprised when it was suggested that the improvements were possibly down to the council, but the high quality of the water height gauges did look like "council made" signs.

I should also add that I am equally surprised that Inverurie Angling Association would be unable to help these regular local anglers out :wink If these local anglers are members of the club - from my experience as a long term club member myself, I am fully confident that the club would help them out as much as they possibly could.

Yes, they have done a splendid job Duncan. Are all the benches, rod racks and stiles the handywork of this group of anglers?

Best wishes
Mike

Duncan McRae

« Reply #26 on: 29/01/2009 at 16:27 »
Hello Mike

Believe it or not,the guages are actually 'council made'.They were installed to show anglers a river level below which spinning is not permitted.This level is marked by a red band.

Don't know why the local club was unable to help.Perhaps they are no longer
involved with the burgh fishings due to having their own private beat to look after?

Yes Mike,all benches etc are the handywork of this group of anglers.

Regards
Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #27 on: 29/01/2009 at 17:01 »
Hi Duncan

Yes, the council made gauges makes sense.

Still confused by the club thing though. The club strimmers would certainly be available for members to use for this kind of work and I'm certain that other club members would have been keen to help out if they had known about the project.

Re: "Perhaps they are no longer involved with the burgh fishings due to having their own private beat to look after?"
As I'm sure you are aware, the club has never had anything to do with the actual running of the Inverurie water, but has always been keen to help out with anything that it can. The club syndicate beat is part of the club obviously, but it is certainly not the focus of the club.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Brian Brand

« Reply #28 on: 29/01/2009 at 22:38 »
Hi Duncan,

Apologies to yourself, I was assuming that the council had done this work, I should have known better.

It is great to see what the guys have done, their woodwork skills look a lot better than mine.

The council should be doing something after all surely part of the permit price should be earmarked for the upkeep of the beat. It appears to me that the more that `Joe Blogs' does the less that that they do.

We certainly miss the likes of Bert who kept on top of the the three council beats (for those who didn't know Bert he was employed by the council and his duties were as a River Bailiff and looking after the beats).

I believe that the upkeep passed onto the council leisure & recreation department (but could be wrong again).

IAA, I would have thought would have always been willing to help but as everything nowadays usually any work or help required comes down to a handful of volunteers, everybody seems to be to busy.

I will certainly bring this up at IAA's next meeting, would any of the regulars at the top end of the beat who are members be willing to come onto the committee so that they can directly put their views in.

On a totally different matter I always personally think that instead of what can any Club do for me it should also be what can I do for that club.

Regards,
Bri.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #29 on: 30/01/2009 at 15:06 »
Hello Bri

No need for apologies.I've had no involvement in the work carried out and don't really know any of the guys involved.

I agree with you that the council should have to upkeep the beats and it's
disgraceful that they don't.I think that in the interests of health and safety they should be obliged to do so.

Is Mike correct in stating that the club has never had anything to do with the actual running of the Inverurie water?
I assumed(probably wrongly)that the club was involved in the beat upkeep sometime prior to the council's appointment of Bert as river Bailiff.

Anyway,if the banks are as badly overgrown as last year then i will certainly be approaching IAA for the use of a strimmer!

Best Wishes
Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com