Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

The Don at Inverurie
« on: 22/01/2009 at 21:54 »
Hi folks :cool:

Took a wee walk down the Don today, it's always nice at this time of year ..... pre-season :wink

The water had obviously risen a tad since yesterday and looked in good form. Didn't see any trout, but I did see a couple of large looking "silver tourists" head and tailing :cool: Great to see, nothing splashy, but I would guess that they were probably kelts.

Pity I didn't see any trout rise though :z6

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

Re: The Don at Inverurie
« Reply #1 on: 22/01/2009 at 23:44 »
I hope you had a word and invited them to stay until the 11th Mike  :z4 
Very nice stretch of water, will definitely be taking a Council Roving ticket when the season starts and intend to give it a good going over, dropped two salmon there in September in what seemed like hopeless conditions.  Bit off track but....  Hamish took me for a guided tour of the upper river yesterday I have not fished or seen much of the river above Ardhuncart before then, other than in print and I have to say some of it was the most inviting looking trout water I have ever seen.  Roll on April  :grin

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 23/01/2009 at 00:02 »
Hi Ben

Yes, the upper river is beautiful, isn't it :wink

There is so much cracking water to explore :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 23/01/2009 at 08:04 »
I am off "upstream" myself tomorrow..having a scout about...i can't wait! Is there any loch fishing up that way...the only one i can think of is at Mossat..have around 4 hours to kill near Kildrummy you see :)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 23/01/2009 at 08:55 »
I am off "upstream" myself tomorrow..having a scout about...i can't wait! Is there any loch fishing up that way...the only one i can think of is at Mossat..have around 4 hours to kill near Kildrummy you see :)

Yea closest one is Mossat. There is one up Strathdon but its a bit further and its alot smaller.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #5 on: 23/01/2009 at 09:18 »
Hamish took me for a guided tour of the upper river yesterday I have not fished or seen much of the river above Ardhuncart before then, other than in print and I have to say some of it was the most inviting looking trout water I have ever seen.  Roll on April  :grin
Ben

Steady on lads. I've had the whole of the upper Don to myself for years now. I'm not sure I could stand the crowding if another two angers turned up. :grin

Rob
There is a small trout pond at Ardgeith on the road across from Logie Coldstone to Donside, near the old Boultenstone Hotel. However they don't expect many anglers in the winter so stock may be a bit low. Otherwise Mossat is your best bet.

Irvine

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #6 on: 23/01/2009 at 09:23 »
Steady on lads. I've had the whole of the upper Don to myself for years now. I'm not sure I could stand the crowding if another two angers turned up. :grin

Rob
There is a small trout pond at Ardgeith on the road across from Logie Coldstone to Donside, near the old Boultenstone Hotel. However they don't expect many anglers in the winter so stock may be a bit low. Otherwise Mossat is your best bet.

Irvine

Hold your horses I lived in Strathdon for 15+ years! Moved into Aberdeen for Uni.

Thats the other Pond I was talking about. Owned by Pat Anderson. Used to go there all the time when I was younger. Was a good little pond.

Cam

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2009 at 13:43 »

Irvine

Dont worry Irvine, you wont see me, neither will the trout, I will be in camo  :z4

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 23/01/2009 at 15:26 »
Ben,
I guess you have not seen my fishing get up..lol...Max 4 Hi def...I look like this!..... Can you see me..lol

And here is my bedroom ;)

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 23/01/2009 at 17:12 »
Today i was having lunch in my car, parked in the ADAA car park at parkhill. There was a large flock of gulls feeding over the river so something must have been hatching. It was 4.5c ??? 
Rob i cant see you, are you hiding under the covers in your cammo pj's :z4

Irvine Ross

« Reply #10 on: 23/01/2009 at 17:18 »
Dont worry Irvine, you wont see me, neither will the trout, I will be in camo  :z4
Ben

Don't pin your faith in that camouflage Ben. Against a field of newly germinated barley you will be seen for miles. Anyway Sandy manages to catch trout wearing that lurid orange waistcoat of his. :grin

Cammy
You must have been out poaching at night when you were fishing the upper Don. I used to go for weeks without seeing another angler. Or were you wearing camouflage too? :z13

Irvine

j.r fartley

« Reply #11 on: 23/01/2009 at 18:14 »
i walked the kemnay beat yesterday with my son, the river was 2/3 feet above normal levels,seen 2 salmon near the coffe pot! the river was looking awesome!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 23/01/2009 at 20:19 »
Anyway Sandy manages to catch trout wearing that lurid orange waistcoat of his. :grin

My autumn orange camoflague will be great the day i fall in the river, or fall down the banks where i hurt myself, and someone needs to spot me :z12
The fish are usually looking over my head anyway :wink

I'll be back on Inverurie this year :z16

My home stomping ground, so looking forward to revisiting a few favourite spots :wink

Great value for a season ticket

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 23/01/2009 at 21:18 »
Sandy,

Have you any comments on the Urie? Does it fish well? What's the slower, deeper water like further up towards the back of the Civic Ammenity Site?

Only had a wee dabble years ago but it's good to have option for river work on the Sabbath. (I'm sure it's permissable to fish it on a Sunday).

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 23/01/2009 at 21:24 »
Rob,

Why do I get the feeling that it's totally possible that the picture actually is of your bedroom. :z7 :z4 with perhaps a Fraggle Rock duvet set as your 'spare' :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com