Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stefan Siikavaara

Re: Roll Casts ..... the basics?
« Reply #15 on: 18/03/2009 at 14:18 »
Hi all!

Nice thread!

Do you guys play around with pullback in the rollcast? It's a great trick, especially for those very tight quarters.

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 18/03/2009 at 22:05 »
Hi all!

Nice thread!

Do you guys play around with pullback in the rollcast? It's a great trick, especially for those very tight quarters.

Best regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan

I was hoping Ben or Magnus would reply to this :z6
Now I have to look silly and ask what "pullback" is? :oops

Best wishes
Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #17 on: 18/03/2009 at 23:35 »
Hi Mike!

Oh no, there is nothing silly about that question. There was once a +80 page thread about it on Loops and I think nothing really conclusive came out of that, except that my and I suspect many others rollcasting got better of course.  :z12 

Ok, itīs as simple as it sounds but like all motorical things it can take a bit of experimenting and practice to get to work. Itīs just about pulling back the rod tip slightly after stopping it.

Here is a video of a guy doing it heavily with a DH-rod. Look at how he uses his hands and the rod during and after the stop. Check the slowmos especially. Thatīs a pullback stop. It goes by other names of course but pullback is a simple, straight to the point and descriptive term that works for me.

http://www.bazzflyfishing.com/Website/Videos/Scandispey.html

Well, please donīt ask me how it exactly works and about the physic behind it. It seems to help accelerate the line and reduce the counterflex. Loops often get a bit tighter and faster using it, and if you play around you can make long line rollcasts with a smaller d-loop using it.

As for being related to the basics of the rollcast. I teach this to beginners and find that even if they donīt get the actual pullback working at once they do get a better loop formation and learn to stop the rod tip better in shorter time.

Best regards
Stefan

Magnus Angus

« Reply #18 on: 18/03/2009 at 23:50 »
Just say NO to Whiplash - {a shiny black leather-clad whip-weilding emoticon is needed here}

Yes I do use pullback - particularly with DH rods - not my 'natural' rod type.

Spolek talked about it in one of his articles - line is being stripped out of the moving leg of the loop, so reducing the mass and accelerating the line, the principle is conservation of energy. I think there is speculation that it can also increase the KE of the fly-leg of the line slightly - not so sure about that one. For most anglers I think they come across the effect more commonly when they feather the running line or pinch the line and stop a shoot to force turnover. What it can't do is help you make longer casts.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 19/03/2009 at 00:06 »
Hi Stefan

Watched the video a few times and I've got the idea thanks. I'll experiment with it on my trout rod :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #20 on: 19/03/2009 at 00:15 »
Hi Magnus!

What it can't do is help you make longer casts

You mean, longer max distance cast right?  :wink  And to that I do agree until I see someone able to do it. I am pretty sure it adds some distance to my static rollcast and to the switch though.

Here is friend of mine pullback-casting overhand. He reaches very high line speed and he can cast far as hell. But I never seen him use it for the delivery. http://flycasting.chipmonk.se/simonsvan_linespeed.MPG

Best regards
Stefan

Magnus Angus

« Reply #21 on: 19/03/2009 at 00:22 »
Hi Stefan

Brrrr - I see the movement you mean. Looks like the right motion, comes after the stop but slightly hard to say what it's doing to the line. As with so much of this stuff its really hard to say exactly what's happening - more film we need more film  :z4 I'd add more slow motion film. I'm gradually talking myself into getting one of those Casio cameras Lasse has - Mike's getting one as a birthday present (not from me you understand.)

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #22 on: 19/03/2009 at 00:32 »
Hi Magnus!

Brrrr -
  :z4 :z4

Yes, thatīs the kind of dedication it takes to keep a good level on ones casting in this country. Itīs bloody ice age half the year.  :cry

I am planning on getting one of those cams aswell Lasses shots are amazing.

Simons loops morph to a point when he pulls back. He pulls back ever so slighty most of the time but on longer carries he has got the most distinctive and powerful pullback I have seen so far. Those lasts two casts give you a hint on it. Some people say it looks strange but then they see his loops and forget to mention it.  :z4 :z4

Best regards
Stefan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 19/03/2009 at 00:38 »
That looks like almost "bouncing" at the stop to me, which would possibly make the stop more pronounced? ..... or the effect the stop has on the rod more pronounced?

Cheers
Mike

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #24 on: 19/03/2009 at 00:44 »
Hi Mike!

Yes, thatīs a good description. He is really bouncing the rod. It happens after the stop though. It pulls the lower leg of the loop back. The loop is outbound before that happens I think.

That guy started casting at the age of 6 btw.  :z7

Best regards
Stefan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #25 on: 22/03/2009 at 21:21 »
I Whiplash my roll casts, believe Paul does too  :z4

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #26 on: 23/03/2009 at 17:23 »
Hi Ben!

Yes, he sure does! All the switches too.

Welcome to the board btw!  :z4

Best regards
Stefan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 23/03/2009 at 23:26 »
 :z4

Good to see you hear Stefan, looking forward to May  :grin

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #28 on: 24/03/2009 at 15:37 »
Hi Ben!

Same here! Itīs going to be great!  :z3

best regards
Stefan

Will Shaw

« Reply #29 on: 24/03/2009 at 18:32 »
Hi All  :cool:

So this is where everyone goes when 'loops gets too crazy!

I use pull back a lot on curve casts. A bit of pull-back can fire a curve or a wiggle right down the line in double-quick time, and make the end of the line and leader kick round nicely.

Will

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com