Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Roll Casts ..... the basics?
« on: 20/01/2009 at 12:08 »
Hi folks :cool:

I love roll casting on the river :z16

But I'm not confident that I'm "doing it right" :z8

What are the most important basic points that help us to get it right? If we want to carry out a good roll, snake or spey cast with a single handed fly rod, what forms the basis of a good cast and will help us to enjoy our casting technique?

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

Re: Roll Casts ..... the basics?
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2009 at 10:54 »
Hi Mike,

In general terms, what makes a good roll or Spey cast is minmal anchor that is straight and in line with your intended target, important too that the D loop is in line.

It is much easier to demonstrate than describe but here goes (assumes neutral wind and no heavy current with a floating line)......

Raise the rod tip to approx eye level then cant the rod to about 30 degrees from the vertical and draw the line back into a D loop.  The line should be straight as it is coming back towards you, when the end of the line and leader has stopped moving, you have lifted as much line as possible from the water into the D.  Your hand should be about level with your ear and your wrist should be cocked at about 45 degrees, about a 4 finger gap between the rod butt and your wrist.

The delivery should go something like, working form the above position, make a lift up and back into the D loop and then come forward by "pushing" the rod forwards towards your target whilst maintaining the angle between rod butt & wrist, push the rod forwards using the straight flyline on the water as a guide, you will be leading with you elbow and have a light grip on the rod.
When you effectively run out of arm and cannot push forwards any further, rotate the rod sharply and give the grip a squeeze immediately pushing the tip up into the forward loop, stop high, this should gve you a tight loop.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 21/01/2009 at 19:51 »
Thanks Ben :z16

Now all I need, is for this ice to go away so I can give it a go! :z3

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 21/01/2009 at 20:33 »
Maybe it's just me (Mr Pedantic?) but that's the type of description that is very helpfull when trying to master something like this.

It's obviously important to watch someone experienced/qualified perform the cast and then have that person watch you BUT when you're left to your own devices and the precise information is only half or vaguely memorable then it's easy to slip into bad ways.

I think that when you have a lesson (in any discipline) your performance generally improves which leads to heightened confidence and, I think, often a reduction in focus on basic technique - even Tiger Woods has to take regular lessons. Actually having a concise step by step which is easy to understand and can be printed out and emulated on the field/water is a hit.

I'm not explaining myself very well !?!.....what I'm angling at is when you know 100% where everything should be at any given stage in a cast (leader, fly, rod tip, feet, wrist, line belly, elbow, etc. ) then you are well on your way to getting it right.

I think I'm not a bad roll caster but there are a couple of points in Bens post that I'm keen to try.

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #4 on: 22/01/2009 at 14:10 »
Hi All,
         I would just add.

Thumb on top .

From  AAPGAI, and I agree . :z4

"Try to make the cast slightly inside the lay of the line on the water as this will prevent any sort of cross over of the loop with the line. (You can always move the rod out of the way too.)

The faster you move the rod tip and the more abrupt you can make the stop on the forward delivery the better the cast will be. A combination of controlled forearm movement and a sharp wrist snap are the elements which create the tip speed."

The Americans have a phrase called "Describing the D" which simply means that they draw a D shape with their rod tip which gives a good mental picture of the path the rod tip should follow.

Last, try to keep the whole thing as one flowing movement.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 22/01/2009 at 23:36 »
Hi Paul,

Cheers, thumb on top is right, palm on top or a cradle grip works well too, cant get the last to work to well due to a long standing hand injury, it works but it hurts  :cry

Interesting quesion for you.....  can you make the roll cast outside of the line?

Cheers

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: 23/01/2009 at 12:58 »
Hi Ben,

Interesting quesion for you.....  can you make the roll cast outside of the line?

Yes , with care !  I remember that this was one of Ken Mouter's questions ( yes, I really am that old !) , during one of the Largs SGAIC assesment days many moons ago. He asked "what is the maximum angle you can alter the line through in a roll cast " ?  A good question , indeed .

Back in the pub  I rather nonchalently proffered "Oh , about 90 degrees should,nt be a problem" .

This received a frown from Ken !  However, it was,nt all that hard to achieve on the lawn the next day .
But I think that we are all (or shoud be ?) considerably more mobile in our body movements nowadays than we were then , particularly with roll and Spey casts ?

Interesting to hear what others think .

Good question.

Paul.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #7 on: 23/01/2009 at 13:47 »
Interesting Ben, Paul

With a static roll I can turn to some sort of the angle inside but outside....hmm...only if the line on the water is short or on a hard surface? With a static roll on water I think I can make some small change in angle but nowhere near 90 degree - assuming the anchored line slides back on the water it's pointing in the direction that's most natural for the cast, turn the stroke away from that angle and, casting on water, the anchor kills the line unless the anchor is absolutely minimal.
The whole point of the first bit in any Spey cast is to get the anchor pointing in the right direction - thats; what separates it from a static roll or a jump roll.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 23/01/2009 at 19:22 »
Interesting Ben, Paul

With a static roll I can turn to some sort of the angle inside but outside....hmm...only if the line on the water is short or on a hard surface? With a static roll on water I think I can make some small change in angle but nowhere near 90 degree - assuming the anchored line slides back on the water it's pointing in the direction that's most natural for the cast, turn the stroke away from that angle and, casting on water, the anchor kills the line unless the anchor is absolutely minimal.
The whole point of the first bit in any Spey cast is to get the anchor pointing in the right direction - thats; what separates it from a static roll or a jump roll.

Magnus,

All correct of course and I am not talking about a Spey where the anchor should always be aligned with the target, talking about casting outside of the D loop & anchor direction on a static roll and, to nowhere near 90 degrees!!  It is perfectly possible to cast outside of the D loop if the delivery is sufficiently canted over, not a particularly efficient cast but can be useful at times.  Not played with it that much, if Sunday is O.K weather wise I may try and push it  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 24/01/2009 at 14:38 »
Hi Ben :cool:

Re: "assuming the anchored line slides back on the water it's pointing in the direction that's most natural for the cast, turn the stroke away from that angle and, casting on water, the anchor kills the line unless the anchor is absolutely minimal"

This could be where I often go wrong. I think I look at and try to cast at "the target", rather than following the most natural direction for the cast from the anchor? :oops

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 24/01/2009 at 22:34 »
Hi Mike, are you talking jump rolls or static rolls here?

I very rarely use a static roll when trout fishing other than to straighten line, lift a sunk tip or fly or as a pick up when short line dry or nymph fishing.  Providing that you are not working a long length of line then you can just dump the line in the general direction of the target and then set up a D that is in line with the target and deliver from there, that is essentially what a double Spey accomplishes.

When I was talking about casting outside of the line I should have been more clear that attempting to deliver to a target not 180 degrees to the D & anchor is rather inefficient and is not recommended, however, it is possible and it is a useful trick to have up your sleeve just in case you ever need to do it in a fishing situation (quite unlikely!)

Cheers

Ben

Magnus Angus

« Reply #11 on: 25/01/2009 at 02:20 »
Any of you guys tried any of the Skagit casts? Most are simply versions of conventional Spey casts and most of the more modern casts, Snake etc, but the Perry Poke is a technique that was first codified byr the Skagit guys in the US - very neat - http://www.bordergameangling.co.uk/Template%20Pages%20for%20new%20links/ThePerryPoke.htm and if you get into it, that leads on to a cast first written up in NZed the Tongariro Roll.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 25/01/2009 at 22:08 »
Nice Vid Magnum,

Not a cast I have really played about with as all descriptions I have come across have varied hugely and all video has been a bit poor.  Seems very similar to a Perry Poke or a Wombat without the snap reposition.  Forecast is good tomorrow so will take a long lunch and go have a play  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 26/01/2009 at 22:42 »
Nice Vid Magnum,

Not a cast I have really played about with as all descriptions I have come across have varied hugely and all video has been a bit poor.  Seems very similar to a Perry Poke or a Wombat without the snap reposition.  Forecast is good tomorrow so will take a long lunch and go have a play  :grin

Cheers

Ben

So ...... Did you play? How did it go?

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 26/01/2009 at 23:48 »
It was fun  :grin

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com