Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Size of deflated tube?
« Reply #75 on: 06/02/2009 at 11:52 »

Try re-inflating or topping up a Shakey when you're afloat without a piece of tubing. :z6

Aye, that one's in the Kamasutra :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #76 on: 06/02/2009 at 11:54 »
Yes Mike,

I know a couple of lassies that could etc............................. :oops :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #77 on: 06/02/2009 at 12:18 »
What size of boots did yo get Iain, iam an 8 so will an 8 in the diving boot be to small?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #78 on: 06/02/2009 at 12:59 »
Size 8 feet? for an adult?  :grin   Where do you get shoes that small? The Toy Bazaar?

Anyway, I honestly can't remember how much larger my boots are for going over stockingfoot neoprenes. (cos I think they come in e.g. 9/10, 11/12, etc. was it one or two sizes bigger?

I went into the shop with my neoprenes and physically tried them on - as you know there can be a lot of spare neoprene material in your foot area depending on the cut or your actual foot size, the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable when afloat. I might be down your way (cheeky) this weekend, post me your tel number and I'll bring down my boots. That'll give you an idea if you want that style, if so I'll speak to DiverDave and see what I can arrange.

toodle pip

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #79 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:30 »
Baz,

Glad 'she' arrived.  Don't use a pump! on these valves use your wind only. I thought that you'd given up smoking so this will help in bringing your lungs back to to spec.

One last thing - I carry a 16mm I.D. PVC tube (which is fitted over one of the sponson valves and curled around the inside of the respective armrest storage pocket. The tube can be used to top up either sponson without hurting your back or repositioning your weight.

Try re-inflating or topping up a Shakey when you're afloat without a piece of tubing. :z6

Iain

That was easy!
Turns out garden hose fits into the piece of spare hose in the puncture repair kit which inturn fits over the valves in the sponsons, so that's my blower upper extension sorted  :wink

Dave Mundie

« Reply #80 on: 08/02/2009 at 19:34 »
Bazz, Well done in getting your tube i might have to wait awhile longer as we went to the caravan show in Glasgow this weekend and bought a new caravan :!

I had decided on the shakey also, might keep an eye out on ebay for used one.

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #81 on: 09/02/2009 at 19:01 »
Baz where did you end up getting the Shakey from  :?

Dave

Barry Robertson

« Reply #82 on: 09/02/2009 at 19:16 »
A shop online  called lochside tackle  http://lochsidetackle.co.uk/float-tubes-26/  :z18

Barry Robertson

« Reply #83 on: 09/02/2009 at 19:28 »
Hi Kev,
is it the Vision Sub-Zeros' you use?

http://www.celticflycraft.co.uk/acatalog/Vision_Sub_Zero_Neoprene.html

I was thinking about buying these as my next pair of Tubing waders

Iain

(edit = fix the link)

Any idea where the vision 5mm waders went that were around £100
Thought i had them in my favourites and was just away to order them  :cry
Cant find them anywhere  :cry

Jim Eddie

« Reply #84 on: 09/02/2009 at 20:00 »
Any idea where the vision 5mm waders went that were around £100
Thought i had them in my favourites and was just away to order them  :cry
Cant find them anywhere  :cry

There you go Baz http://www.cliff-harvey-angling.co.uk/prod_show.asp?id=190

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #85 on: 09/02/2009 at 20:15 »
Cheers Jim,  :z14

Barry Robertson

« Reply #86 on: 22/02/2009 at 13:43 »

Sparton Tube also has a back rest bladder while the Shakespeare tube has two back rest bladders although I do not think that the top bladder is required as this takes up space you can use for additional gear (food, jacket, extra fleece in a small dry bag, small fish smoker etc).  

Is this quite common? Does anyone else leave out the top bladder?
Sounds like a good idea  :z4
Obviously this would make it less stable but cant affect it too much surely?

Looks like this i presume?
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=194

Jim Eddie

« Reply #87 on: 22/02/2009 at 14:25 »
Baz I would think it would be sore on the back sitting all day with no support  :cool:

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #88 on: 22/02/2009 at 14:45 »
I guess i will just have to try and see, hopefully no backflips  :z6

Iain Goolager

« Reply #89 on: 22/02/2009 at 20:39 »
Baz,

I only 1/2 - 3/4 inflate the lower of the two backrest bladders on the Shakey leaving the topmost one uninflated (using this compartment as a home for my waterproof jacket).

I've never felt any need to further inflate or experienced discomfort.

I did inflate both on my maiden voyage (prior to receiving any hints/advice from 'old sweats') and found that it made me slide forward a little, something that I understand is mentioned as a problem by other tubers, on other sites/literature. Inflating as previously stated means that I now sit in a backward sloping manner, or it at least feels like it.

Hope this helps

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com