Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Re: Size of deflated tube?
« Reply #60 on: 01/02/2009 at 11:46 »
Aye thats nae bad. I'd guess its the old model tube, wonder if there's anyone on here tried it before?

Dave

Edit: I see they also selling it for £99 on 3 auctions.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #61 on: 01/02/2009 at 14:27 »
Dave

Most at the guys at Haddo started with these , my mate David has one. They are not selling for £99 by the ways its an auction  :cool:

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #62 on: 01/02/2009 at 16:20 »
Dave

Here's a bargain £120 plus p & p , Tube 5mm waders and floatation vest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SNOWBEE-U-BOAT-FLOAT-TUBE-KIT-CHEST-WADERS-VEST-TUBE_W0QQitemZ330301621310QQihZ014QQcategoryZ7299QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

Jim

Hi Jim :z16

Those 5mm waders look interesting ..... anybody tried them?

The buoyancy aid in the kit wouldn't be much use, very uncomfortable for tubing as they restrict your movements when seated.

Nothing wrong with the Snowbee tube, they were good workhorses that many of us started out with :wink they just had a few bladder problems if you blew them up too hard :z6 and personally, I would not trust one on a big loch!

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #63 on: 01/02/2009 at 16:24 »
Dave

Most at the guys at Haddo started with these , my mate David has one.

Jim

So whats the general consensious on them good, not so good or bad.

Dave

They are not selling for £99 by the ways its an auction

Jim

Is that what i said above selling it for £99 on 3 auctions  or should i have said starting at £99 :z4 :z4

was looking at their site http://www.reelsndeals.com/index.html for more info cant seem to find the tube or waders, I dont think the vest has much of a buoyancy rating though.
Going to Callender for the weekend so might pop over to their shop for a look.

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #64 on: 01/02/2009 at 16:39 »
Dave, I'd better say this once again as I would not like to do it "on hindsight" ........ Do not make a float tubing purchase based on price or budget! Listen to what the experienced guys are telling you :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #65 on: 01/02/2009 at 16:44 »
Dave, I'd better say this once again as I would not like to do it "on hindsight" ........ Do not make a float tubing purchase based on price or budget! Listen to what the experienced guys are telling you :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Yep spot on Mike, just thought if i could see the product face to face i'd get a better idea of what was on offer.
Mind you it depends if the wife will let me go have a look when you consider we won't have the kids with us  :wink

Dave

Dave Mundie

« Reply #66 on: 05/02/2009 at 18:22 »
Would i be right has the snowbee tube only got 1 main bladder?
What about the valves on the shaky can you use a pump to blow them up?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #67 on: 05/02/2009 at 19:41 »
Would i be right has the snowbee tube only got 1 main bladder?
What about the valves on the shaky can you use a pump to blow them up?

Dave

Yes Dave, the Snowbee has one main bladder.

For inflation see http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1332.0

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #68 on: 05/02/2009 at 20:26 »
Thanks Mike I knew there was something about it here somewhere guess i was using the wrong search terms.

Looking at it from a safety point i think the shakey is better with 3 bladders, what about the ron thomson one has anyone any experience with it?

Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #69 on: 05/02/2009 at 20:32 »
Dave

The Ron Thomson has one main bladder and 1 bladder in the back rest.

If anyone is ovely concerned Steve Parton will convert any tube to multi  bladdered. 

( multi bladdered  :wink sounds like a bunch of drunks on a Saturday night )

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #70 on: 05/02/2009 at 20:35 »
Dave

The Ron Thomson has one main bladder and 1 bladder in the back rest.

I anyone is ovely concerned Steve Parton will convert any tube to multi  bladdered. 

( multi bladdered  :wink sounds like a bunch of drunks on a Saturday night )

Jim

By the time he converts it you'd be just as well getting the shakey with 3 from new, instead of invalidating warranty ect on the models with only 1 bladder.

Dave

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #71 on: 06/02/2009 at 09:19 »
By the time he converts it you'd be just as well getting the shakey with 3 from new, instead of invalidating warranty ect on the models with only 1 bladder.

Dave

Dave I have a Sparton, his bladders are far better than anyone elses  :z16 However i bough Daniel a Shakespeare expedition and it is excellant. Same design.
Not quite as Good material for the bladders (far better than Ron thomson, snowbee, and many others though) but i'm happy for the bairn to go out in it, and that must speak volumes :z18
At least you can blow them up nice and hard and if one leaks you can get to shore. Plus they are inflated by Mouth, so you can keep inflating a leaking bladder to get back to shore, if you had too. I know what i regard as essential features, :z16

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #72 on: 06/02/2009 at 10:57 »
My Shakey just arrived this morning  an was pleasantly suprised how light and small packed up it is  :shock
I was expecting something heavy to carry up a hill , this is looking like its going to be perfect even with a tent,neoprenes, sleeping bag and all the normal camping stuff it should not be that bad. Just means the other half will just have to carry more if she wants to come next time  :z4
Must get some kind of pump though as it was hard work blowing it up  :oops

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #73 on: 06/02/2009 at 11:19 »

Must get some kind of pump though as it was hard work blowing it up  :oops

With all that Hot air :shock I doubt it :z4 :z4

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #74 on: 06/02/2009 at 11:49 »
Baz,

Glad 'she' arrived.  Don't use a pump! on these valves use your wind only. I thought that you'd given up smoking so this will help in bringing your lungs back to to spec.

One last thing - I carry a 16mm I.D. PVC tube (which is fitted over one of the sponson valves and curled around the inside of the respective armrest storage pocket. The tube can be used to top up either sponson without hurting your back or repositioning your weight.

Try re-inflating or topping up a Shakey when you're afloat without a piece of tubing. :z6

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com