Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Re: Size of deflated tube?
« Reply #30 on: 21/01/2009 at 20:48 »
Dave

The R/T's have 2 bladders , one main one and one in the back-rest. When the weather improves and I'm tubing at Haddo come out and you can have a go .

:z18

Jim

Cheers Jim that way i can compare with the shakey.

Yes Mike i missed out on the others so will have to make sure i get along to next one, although not much sign of it being soon with these temperatures  :z6

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #31 on: 21/01/2009 at 21:00 »
"With these temperatures" ..... not desperate to rush out and buy one either :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Alex Thain

« Reply #32 on: 21/01/2009 at 21:12 »
santa left a shakespear expedition and a set of fins for me . still in the box  dont know if its for me or not.ill have to give it a try when the weather wams up; untill then ill leave it in its box

Barry Robertson

« Reply #33 on: 22/01/2009 at 20:53 »
How come the snowbee U Boat tubes are so cheap? Are they mince  :z8

Jim Eddie

« Reply #34 on: 23/01/2009 at 08:09 »
Not mince Baz, just a new model coming out.

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #35 on: 24/01/2009 at 22:46 »
Does it not feel heavy if you have on chesty's with built in boots and flippers hanging out the tube for ages?
Are chesty's with boots good enough for the job or am i best to go for stockingfoot ones?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #36 on: 25/01/2009 at 00:38 »
Hi Baz :cool:

Chesties with boots are fine, they are what I use, I've never felt the need to buy stockingfoot ones for tubing ..... BUT ..... stockingfoot is the way to go if you are planning to walk any distance in them, eg going to hill lochs.

Although I think I'd rather carry waders than wear them when hiking to be honest :wink

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #37 on: 25/01/2009 at 10:16 »
Does it not feel heavy if you have on chesty's with built in boots and flippers hanging out the tube for ages?
Are chesty's with boots good enough for the job or am i best to go for stockingfoot ones?

Baz,

you won't be aware of any excessive weight due to the weight of fins, boots etc. You'll likely be slowly backpedalling for a large percentage of the time & the natural bouyancy keeps everthing light anyway.

Bootfoot or stocking foot? That's up to you -  I prefer stocking foot as my bootfoots in the past have always given up the ghost (after years of service I must add) at the wellie /neoprene joint. The main reason for me is undoubtedly the comfort, ankle support & versatility that stockingfoots bring.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #38 on: 25/01/2009 at 10:55 »
Its decided then - stockinfoot it is! That will be another 100 notes no doubt lol  :z6

Jim Eddie

« Reply #39 on: 25/01/2009 at 11:06 »
Baz

Scroll down the link , breathables , boots and wading staff £99 delivered.

http://www.reelsndeals.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Special_Offers_87.html

Jim

Kevin Muir

« Reply #40 on: 25/01/2009 at 11:14 »
Hi folks, some great info being passed around.

Something I should have mentioned earlier, one of the main benefits of using standard walking boots for tubing with the stocking foot waders is that if you have to walk several miles, all you have to do is buy a pair of neoprene socks to wear for the walk in while your waders are in the rucksack.  You will get damp feet from the sweat but without the neoprene socks youmay still get damp (and cold) feet from the wet ground if you walk in wearing your normal walking boots or trainers.

Al alternative boot would be the Korkers or Klobba replacement sole wading boots, I must make time to have a look at these.

The neoprene socks are not heavy and do not take up much space.

The Vision neoprenes are superb, not cheap but very well made.

The main thing to remember is that if you have booked time off work and you walk a mile or two to a loch, just how annoyed would you be if a cheap pair of waders started to leak and you were wet every day for your trip.

This is still possible with Visions from wear and tear if you snag them but at least the seams are well formed and appear not to leak (five people in out tubing group have them, no leaks so far).

I have no connection with Vision, just a great product.

You should always invest in a tube of Aquasure or a similar Suncure repair product just in case yolu need it.

If possible try the waders on before you buy, or get them on approval to make sure they are a good fit, especially the feet, this is the most important point with socking foot waders.

Good luck with your tubing.

Kev.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #41 on: 25/01/2009 at 11:14 »
Are you trying to get my frozen, they look like they are made from recycled newspapers  :z4
Just been at a few sites and cant believe the price of some of these wader - ron thompson dont seam to do a stocking foot unfortunately! The ron thompson boot foot 5mm neoprenes are only £65 or there abouts  :z4. Not to shabby  :wink

http://www.fishermanstacklecompany.co.uk/index.cgi?product_id=Vision%20Flywater%20Breathable%20Stockingfoot%20Waders&d=1&details=on&mid=MM12&xm=1&tp=1&smp=1&cid=1&ref=FROOGLE
Would these be warm enough even though they are breathables

Jim Eddie

« Reply #42 on: 25/01/2009 at 11:38 »
Baz

With Beathables you need to layer up, good wicking thermals and good quality (2 pairs of socks) or just bite the bullet and buy a pair of neoprenes as well.

Felt sole wading boots are great for fishing rivers great great on rocks , on grass you are going to land on your arse with them. Thats why I like he Korkers.

If you are up at Haddo any week-end I'll bring along my tube and othe gear and you can make your own mind up.

Jim 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #43 on: 25/01/2009 at 11:53 »
Good advice Kevin/Jim :z16

Don't rush out and buy anything Baz, take advantage of the fact that between all the forum members there is loads of kit that you can try before you buy!

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #44 on: 25/01/2009 at 15:07 »
Hi Kev,
is it the Vision Sub-Zeros' you use?

http://www.celticflycraft.co.uk/acatalog/Vision_Sub_Zero_Neoprene.html

I was thinking about buying these as my next pair of Tubing waders

Iain

(edit = fix the link)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com