Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Leader rings
« on: 25/02/2009 at 19:46 »
Anyone use those leader rings you get for well ... tying leaders (the clues in the title)  :wink

Never used them , thought they would make the droppers stand out well.

Anyone tried them and how did you get on with them ? I know theres nothing wrong with a water knot , just wanted to  try something different.

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

Re: Leader rings
« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2009 at 20:41 »
Hi Jim,

I've used them a couple of times - first bought some 4 or so years ago - can't really remember why exactly, it was either to increase the amount of times that I could change the dropper flies and still maintain dropper length without having to re-tie leaders or to see if they helped to keep dropper flies more 'proud' of the mainline? or Just 'cos I wanted to have everything that was innovative.

Firstly, the original ones I bought were??? what make were they again? they came in a blue packet with black writing?!? aargh!
anyway - they weren't as smoothly finished as I would have thought and I snapped a few leaders while proof testing the knots so they were binned.

Some time later I saw some or other article featuring the Roman Moser ones, so bought a packet and the finish on them was very smooth - no knot problems. Although the rings are tiny (note that they come in 3 sizes - I think - and I have received various sizes from Sportfish when asking for the smaller ones :mad) they are quite bulky when you see the ring complete with 3 knots tied to it. Also after a few casts the dropper knot slips round and ends up facing 'downstream' so that the leader is not projected at 90 degrees to the mainline (which may have been the reason for originaly using them)
ALSO, try tying one on - even on a warm day when dexterity, my dexterity, is at normal it's a bit of a monkey! I Keep my rings on a C&F fly threader which allows the first section of line to be easily threaded onto the ring - then - how do you hold it while completing the knot? I then thread the next section of leader line through the ring and hold this 'doubled over' and attempt to complete the first knot.

I've lost a few to the grass at this stage.

I prefer to use the standard water knot for droppers but the rings are still carried with me. I use them for increasing the life of my shop bought tapered leaders and have meant to use them for czech nymphing - with a weaker leader material used on the dropper of the sacrificial nymph.

If you want some pm me your address and I'll post them on.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 25/02/2009 at 20:53 »
Iain

Thanks for the offer , got 3 packs of the Roman Moser ones off flee-bay, just wanted to try them for the same reasons you mentioned , and yes I can see me having the same problems  :wink

:z18

Jim 

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 25/02/2009 at 21:51 »
They will pull the leader down quicker thats for sure, i tried them but felt they were pulling my flies down quicker than they should really be moving in real life  :z6
Oh and they were a bugger to tie  :shock
Intresting to see how you find them  :!

Fisher

« Reply #4 on: 25/02/2009 at 23:30 »
I found them awkward to tie but worst of all they were so tiny and fell out of their packet I could never find them lying in bottom of my bag and only found them when I did my annual tidy up. more bother than they are worth if you know your knots for tying leader properly.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 26/02/2009 at 00:04 »
Hi Jim

I use one of these on the end of my furled leaders, this works well for me instead of a braided loop set up.

I don't like them for droppers though :roll for reasons that have already been brought up in the topic :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 26/02/2009 at 08:29 »
I have used them all last season with no problems. I keep them  on a safety pin and I set up the leader before I leave home so all I have ever had to do on the bank is replace a tippet or dropper.

I have one at the bottom of the tapered section of my leader so I don't loose another couple of inches every time I have to renew the lower sections and another one where the dropper might go if I want to add it at some time during the day. If I am fishing a single dry fly on the river, I don't want a dropper at all. If I switch to spiders, then I can add one with no problems.

The rings don't make the dropper stand out but make it easier to replace the dropper if you have to.

Despite what you might think, the rings don't drag the leader down. At least the ones I use don't. They came from Niche Products. I have watched the leader in clear water and they sink at the same rate as de-greased copolymer.

Anyway  :z16 from me.

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 26/02/2009 at 09:06 »
An alternative are the rings sold for carp fishing. These tend to be available in a little larger size as well as very small but finished in a dull colour rather than the bright silver I have seen in fly shops. They are round sectioned so no cutting leaders etc. They are also a fair bit cheaper..which is unusual for an item with "carp" in the title! Rest assured, they are exceptionally strong even though they are very fine.

You can also get oval ones which I think would be far better for fly fishing than round. Much less chance of knots slipping round etc.

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/tackleshopcouk/ctl10390/cp44633/si3480188/cl1/
http://www.ibstocktackle.co.uk/nash---rig-rings-936-p.asp
http://www.bosfish.co.uk/Products/CARP/kd262rigrings.htm

I use them for attaching wire traces to my leader for Pike.

Fisher

« Reply #8 on: 26/02/2009 at 22:25 »
The safety pin tip is a good idea. So simple but never crossed my mind. Doh!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com