Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: Rings
« Reply #15 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:25 »
:z16 :z16 :z16

Question for Sandy....why do you not like the single leg snakes?? I have noticed that more and more companies are using them..presumably because its cheaper to produce en mass as there is 50% less whipping and time, but Magnus has had some good things to say about the benefits.

Rob

I almost exclusively use single leg rings, but then i rarely build rods heavier than a 5wt. I have system for fitting them that saves even more time :wink
However in this case I figured being a bigger more powerful rod i would prefer to have two feet strapped to the blank, To my mind the higher loads with the heavier line will put increased strain on the rings causing them to move with only one mounting point (like a lever). If you cast with the rod in anything other than a level plane then you are also putting a sidewards force against the ring, Again the single leg will be more likely to twist.
I do not believe this to be a problem with any lightweight rods (and will always use singles unless specifically requested), but i would be unwilling to lay the same odds ,that a rod used for 7wt lines or above and will probably see fast sinkers as well , would be able to sustain the punishment without the rings cracking the epoxy (at the very least). This is entirely my opinion but it is based on repairs i have had to perform over the years. :z16

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com