Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek McLaren

Rings
« on: 16/01/2009 at 22:39 »
What are the best snake rings to replace worn snakes on a 10Ft 3 pce carbon rod. aftm 7

How much would it be to replace them.

anyone have any Idea  :?

Derek McLaren

Re: Rings
« Reply #1 on: 16/01/2009 at 22:43 »
What are the best snake rings to replace worn snakes on a 10Ft 3 pce carbon rod. aftm 7

How much would it be to replace them.

anyone have any Idea  :?

meant to say they are single leg snakes  :cool:

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 16/01/2009 at 23:09 »
Sandy will have an answer  :wink :z17

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 16/01/2009 at 23:39 »
Rob would have a pretty good idea too :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 16/01/2009 at 23:44 »
You only have two choices really..three if you want to go to the US.

I use the Hopkins and Holloway SL snakes (these are single foot although called snakes!). I normally go for hard chrome finish at 65p each but they also come in black and titanium colours which are £1.75 each. http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=336

Remember, the sizing is opposite to hooks..ie..a 1/0 is the smallest and 5 or 6 the biggest.

The second option is to go for REC Recoils. These are very expensive at £3.84 each.. http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=383 Some say they are the best, some say they wear quick..i have the light weight ones on a rod and although not worn, they make a real "singing" noise when you cast..rather unpleasent infact.

The last option is to order the Pacific Bay snakes from Meadow Fisheries or the US..these come in all sorts of colours..and i mean ALL..about  £1.25 each http://www.meadowfishery.com/prods/664.html

So...thats ya choice as far as i know...maybe sandy has another source but i have hunted high and low and the bog standard H & H are hard to beat for value.

Having said all that, have you considered the new(ish) fuji Alconite Concept guides. I have just done a rod with these and they fairly let a line fly! http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product.php?product_id=217

Hope that helps a bit

Derek McLaren

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2009 at 23:49 »
Thanks very much for the detailed reply,I had an rpl sage and the rings have lasted 10 years,I have a powerhead and the rings have only lasted 3 years and i dont fish sinkers much, in fact the rod has only had about 100 outings.

any idea on cost does it go per ring or per rod.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 17/01/2009 at 00:02 »
Are you after someone to re-ring a rod?

Sandy or myself could do that for you..whether we are willing to is another matter!!..lol. It can be time consuming getting the blank back to basics with the use of heat and a plastic scraper!

Also, Steve Parton of Sparton tackle will re-ring a rod for you.

Normally it would be on a ring by ring basis..well..for me anyway..and whether you wanted plain whipping or tipped etc.

Why not do it yourself...you will get plenty of guidence from Sandy and myself!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 17/01/2009 at 00:06 »
Forgot to say, Somers charges a tenner per ring!!  :shock :shock :shock

Derek McLaren

« Reply #8 on: 17/01/2009 at 00:16 »
I was after a rough price as the rod is only worth £100.00 If that, and the handle is pretty worn.

I dont know if it was worth spending money when i could get another new rod for £100.00

I dont think i would be any good at whipping rings on :shock, have you the heads on my flies  :z5  :shock  :cry

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 17/01/2009 at 00:22 »
If its a "cheapish" rod have a go yourself..besides the pleasure it brings, its fairly easy.

Go onnnnn, you know you want too!!! ;)

Derek McLaren

« Reply #10 on: 17/01/2009 at 00:25 »
If its a "cheapish" rod have a go yourself..besides the pleasure it brings, its fairly easy.

Go onnnnn, you know you want too!!! ;)

did the alconite rings effect the action of the rod in any way :?,or are they about the same weight as snakes :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 17/01/2009 at 00:47 »
Good question indeed..and one there has been much debate about!!!!

The difference in weight is about that between a thick coat of epoxy and a thin coat!!

I have tried weighing them, but the scales, which went down to single grams could not show a difference.

Also, they have shorter feet so you need less whipping and thus less epoxy...

soooo..in answer to your question...i dont think so.. ;)..remembering that you use a smaller lined ring than a snake.. :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 17/01/2009 at 08:44 »

Also, they have shorter feet so you need less whipping and thus less epoxy...

soooo..in answer to your question...i dont think so.. ;)..remembering that you use a smaller lined ring than a snake.. :)

Hmmmm!  What about Knots :z6

Derek I would Concur with much of What Rob has said, you'll find the Sage has Hopkins and Holloway Snakes on it (thats all they use :wink) Same material as their single leg ones :z16
The powerhead will have cheap Chinese copies which are often plated brass instead of Stainless steel and do wear out very fast, especially on higher line weights.

To be honest i don't think on a 10ft 7wt rod ,you will notice any penalty in weight whatever rings you use.

If its my opinion you want then i would probably remove the single legs and fit standard stainless/chrome snakes with the tip section done in fine wire. use the old whipping point for the bottom foot and redo the rod thus. I'd get the rings from www.guidesnblanks.co.uk The way you tie flies , you should have probs re-doing the rings :z16

Sandy

Derek McLaren

« Reply #13 on: 17/01/2009 at 09:44 »
Thanks for all the help guys,Sandy has kindly offered to sort me out,I will maybe try it myself one day when iam a wee bit older and wiser :shock  :grin  :grin

cheers

Derek

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 18/01/2009 at 10:36 »
 :z16 :z16 :z16

Question for Sandy....why do you not like the single leg snakes?? I have noticed that more and more companies are using them..presumably because its cheaper to produce en mass as there is 50% less whipping and time, but Magnus has had some good things to say about the benefits.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com