Iain Goolager

Re: Spiders
« Reply #16 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:36 »
sorry

I meant smokin'

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:38 »
Hmmm ..... I can do the GrassCasting and the :z3 ........ but I've given up shaving I'm afraid :z7

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:24 »
I used to really enjoy fishing spiders on the river, 3 of them, downstram and across. Used to get loads of plucks and pulls though..and now i know why!  :oops

When it comes to stillwater, I tend to fish them like buzzers really. Seem to take the odd fish :)..not that i do a lot of stillwater fishing...just now!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:51 »
Stop press

Another iceage throwback spotted in aberdeenshire

I believe it to be a "Woolly Mike"

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #20 on: 16/01/2009 at 07:31 »
Overall, I would say that a pearly spider has caught me more fish on stocked stillwaters than any other spider pattern. 

I think this might be the fly I posted about in the first Orvis Fly tying event. But pics would still be good ben :D  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 16/01/2009 at 08:27 »
Stop press

Another iceage throwback spotted in aberdeenshire

I believe it to be a "Woolly Mike"

Ah ha :! The relatively unknown Barrius Hirsutus Maximus, a rare thing to see even in the winter months.
Usually only seen in dry summers and apparently only then with shaved legs :shock :?
This unusual, shy and retiring species has been reported in parts of the UK, Spain and sightings have been reported in New Zealand - although the New Zealand sighting was some years ago it provided clear evidence that this species migrates great distances.
Although little is known about them, it is believed that they can be enticed into the open by strong coffee, marlboro cigarettes and chanting 'double taper fly lines'  :z8

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 16/01/2009 at 09:50 »
Hamish,

You’re mistaken. A closer look at the animal clearly shows a whitening of the underfur through age which indicates without a doubt that it is of the family Barrientus Simius.

Dr Alpen Stepenwolf MD

Hamish Young

« Reply #23 on: 16/01/2009 at 15:10 »

Iain, you could be right. This particular specimen was spotted in the same area during the summer months, note the slightly different summer coat........  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 16/01/2009 at 17:39 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #25 on: 16/01/2009 at 19:44 »
 :z4 :z4

Nice one.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 16/01/2009 at 20:22 »
Sandy, Hamish, Iain .....  :z4   :z4  :z4

Re: Baz posted "I have tried various spiders and find a spider with a hot spot of red or green behind the hackle to be the most affective when i try them"

This makes sense Baz, cause when you fish a spider like a buzzer, it becomes a remarkably good buzzer :z3

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #27 on: 16/01/2009 at 20:38 »
The link i sent with spiders plus have a good example of the nice hot spot spiders , i bought these before i learnt how to tie them!
They worked anyway  :z16
And i have buzzers with a hackle which i suppose you could say were spiders ,  i think some buzzers/spiders are very alike  :z4
http://www.spidersplus.co.uk/monthlyGuidePages/july.html

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 16/01/2009 at 21:55 »

And i have buzzers with a hackle which i suppose you could say were spiders ,  i think some buzzers/spiders are very alike  :z4

methinks you might be right :z7

I fish various spiders and they are often presented to people as the way forward, unfortunatley the way back is sometimes they way forward ,therefore people dont understand :z6

But a Waterhen bloa fished on a floater and a long leader is as good a fly as any you will try :z16 (dark, light or blue :wink)
I would add a black spider tied with a starling hackle, a black peacock and plover, a partridge and peacock and a greenwell spider to the list and then have a selection of flies which i could fish any where on any type of line and have confidence in my ability to catch fish. Of course i would also have a few red hooks with tungsten beads as a back up (because they catch everywhere all the time , so its not fair to use them :wink) Still  :cool:

Fish them upstream, downstream, short line, long line, slowly, fast, fo8 whatever you like, to make them behave however you like, depending on what the fish might like.

One only hopes this is partially coherent, as two bottles of tullibardine whisky beer, the remains of a bottle of talisker and the start of a a bottle of Quintan ruban may have affected my ability to speak, if not to type :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4.

:z18

Sandy

PDScott

« Reply #29 on: 16/01/2009 at 22:02 »
One only hopes this is partially coherent, as two bottles of tullibardine whisky beer, the remains of a bottle of talisker and the start of a a bottle of Quintan ruban may have affected my ability to speak, if not to type

Sandy,
Nice choice of whisky - I hope the head is O.K. in the morning!
Peter

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com