Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Spiders
« on: 15/01/2009 at 16:29 »
Hi folks :cool:

Spiders, in their numerous forms, are probably the most productive all round flies on small stillwaters in my experience, this is certainly the case at Haddo :wink

So ..... How do you fish them and which are your favourite spiders?

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Livingstone

Re: Spiders
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2009 at 18:35 »
My favourite spider is either a waterhen bloa type with a peacock herl head tied in front of the hackle or a grouse and orange with a dusting of hare's ear at the thorax.  On stillwaters it is usually single fly with a slow figure eight of short twitches but I also have found on the drop to work.  As for running water I usually fish them of the bend of a dry.  The waterhen bloa work well on my favourite little stream fish behind a #12 royal stimulator variant.  I usually have both spiders from #12-#18.  Failing that- a black spider plopped under overhanging branches is a good trick!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2009 at 18:37 »
Have not had to much luck with spiders  as i am to busy fishing buzzers probably!
Certain waters seam to take to a spider better, i guess it must just be a confience thing yet again  :z6
If its your thing and you know they will catch fish then i can understand why you would use them. I have tried various spiders and find a spider with a hot spot of red or green behind the hackle to be the most affective when i try them.
If i were to fish them it would be on a floating line as a top dropper more than likely with a couple of buzzers further down from it fished dead slowly - maybe with the odd pull  :z16
Have a look here at some nice spider patterns  :z16
http://www.spidersplus.co.uk/shop/intro_page_01.asp

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2009 at 19:55 »
Overall, I would say that a pearly spider has caught me more fish on stocked stillwaters than any other spider pattern. 

I tie it on B175s in sizes 12 to 16, black 12/0 thread, opal mirage tinsel over black thread, XS silver Ultra Wire rib and about 3 turns of magpie scalp feather for hackle.  I tend to fish this pattern like a buzzer on a floating line with a very slow retrieve, longish pulls and let it sink again with takes usually coming when retrieving

Next most successful would be a GRHE spider or a hare & plover I fish these differently depending upon what is on the water.

I have also have excellent results with a glo brite pink spider hackled with a turn of med dun hen hackle and a rib of stretched opal mirage tinsel a fly I tied for grayling, sometimes works and sometimes totally ignored when it works it is lethal.

On wild waters black or claret pennells waterhen bloas, hare & plover, partridge & orange infact anything that works well on the river does well on calmer days although I would usually fish slightly larger sizes.

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:00 »
Hope your ready for a mamoth post here from Sandy  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
Iam guessing it will be quite a big one  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:05 »
No Comment
 :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:15 »
Ok then, fair enough :roll

They died out after the last ice age i believe. Once there were many thousands of them all around the northern hemisphere and they resembled large brown hairy elephants.
They were hunted to extinction by our ancestors although today many of their remains are still found in receding glaciers and even dredged up from the bottom of the North sea.
Their tusk provide ivory which has a peculiar quality (i'm led to believe, although i have never seen any myself )and can be used to form componants for fly rods.
Being large creatures they were once thought fierce although it is more likely they were fairly placid, being that big, no-one really pisses you off too  much. Eh "H" :z4
However it is a pity that there are none around today as think of the Collie dogs you could tie :shock

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #7 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:23 »
Now look what you've started Baz.  :z4   :z4   :z4   :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:25 »
That took me a while to work out!  :oops
 :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:43 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 x 2

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:49 »
Yeah was quite smart for someone who still makes fishing rods out of wood  :z4  :z7

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:50 »
Yeah was quite smart for someone who still makes fishing rods out of wood  :z4  :z7

What wood?  :z8

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:51 »
Sorry, grass!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:57 »
 :z12

Barry Robertson

« Reply #14 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:18 »
 :oops :oops :oops :oops :oops x 3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com