Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Bare hooks!
« on: 26/11/2006 at 01:07 »
Just noticed on one of ther other topics you were all talking about bare hooks, Is this a piss take or does it actually work. I suppose a black hook bare would look like a skinny buzzer. How does this bare hook work , i presume you just fish it as a buzzer?

Cheers
Baz :z2

Hamish Young

Re: Bare hooks!
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2006 at 08:33 »
Quote from: "bigtroot"
Just noticed on one of ther other topics you were all talking about bare hooks, Is this a piss take or does it actually work.

No piss take and yes, they do work  :wink:

I suppose a black hook bare would look like a skinny buzzer. How does this bare hook work , i presume you just fish it as a buzzer?
Cheers
Baz :z2

Just so, fish them just the same way as a buzzer. Think of painted hooks like "Jock Scot" ( A H E Wood) mentioned in "Greased line fishing for Salmon" and you've pretty much got the idea. Some pre-coloured hooks are also available on the market, Drennan for example.

Barry Robertson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2006 at 19:28 »
Not a bad site after all , learning loads out here on nightshift. Offshore aint a bad place after all ! :grin:

Sandy Nelson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #3 on: 26/11/2006 at 21:49 »
No Joke

But its one of those great products you can tell everyone about and they just dont buy into it.
As Hamish says drennen make some in various colours, i use the Charles Jardine living Nymph hooks in Red , now and then :wink:

Sandy

Barry Robertson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2006 at 22:33 »
Where can you buy the coloured hooks from sandy

Cheers

Mike Barrio

Bare hooks!
« Reply #5 on: 27/11/2006 at 00:26 »
Where can you buy the coloured hooks from sandy

Cheers

Glasgow Angling Centre used to do them ........ and possibly still do?
Yes, see http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Charles_Jardine_Nymph_Hooks.html
But Sandy may have a better source?  :wink:

Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #6 on: 27/11/2006 at 01:58 »
Thanks mike , was up fishing at insch last time home and was a fair treck up the road for me - is Haddo just as far away?.
Iam normally fishing every weekday on my two weeks off so might have to pop up for a days fishing this time off!

Sandy Nelson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #7 on: 27/11/2006 at 08:37 »
Baz

Try www.celticflycraft.co.uk  for the living nymph hooks.
They have a great stock of stuff and great service.
Lathkill have them too but since John took a back seat the service has suffered big time.

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Bare hooks!
« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2006 at 11:17 »
I have used bare Drennen UV hooks before, especially the red ones. Perfect bloodworm immitation...and the green ones are perfect midge pupae.

Sandy Nelson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #9 on: 27/11/2006 at 19:11 »
Rob

Have you tried the Blue ones?

Brownies love em.Damn hard to get now though, unfortunatley.

Silver and gold work too.

Sandy

bare hooks
« Reply #10 on: 27/11/2006 at 21:05 »
one of my friends stopped flytying and gave me all his stuff and there was a pack of coloured hooks i think they were called rainbow triads not sure of the make theyr up the loft will have to check them out there were reds and blue ones but i just dismissed them as no use :oops:  :oops:

Barry Robertson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #11 on: 27/11/2006 at 21:33 »
I have found the red hooks but you lads must have a secret stash where you buy the other coloured hooks as i cant find the anywhere!

Hamish Young

Bare hooks!
« Reply #12 on: 27/11/2006 at 21:42 »
Keep looking  :wink:
http://www.tomcsaville.com/hooks/hooks.htm but they're not the whole answer.... experiment yourself  :!:  :wink:

Barry Robertson

Bare hooks!
« Reply #13 on: 27/11/2006 at 21:47 »
i reckon i will have to get the gothic nail varnish out when i get home and try some funcy colours oot

Mike Barrio

Bare hooks!
« Reply #14 on: 28/11/2006 at 00:59 »
Thanks mike , was up fishing at insch last time home and was a fair treck up the road for me - is Haddo just as far away?.
Iam normally fishing every weekday on my two weeks off so might have to pop up for a days fishing this time off!

Hi Baz

Yes, afraid so, more or less the same distance from Montrose  :z6

Best wishes
Mike
 :z2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com