Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Re: Second Flytying Evening @ Orvis in Banchory
« Reply #60 on: 07/02/2009 at 18:32 »
Not to shabby cameron, where are you  hiding the hook  :z4
I had probs finding materials so ended up buying some online so will just have to wait until they arrive before i start playing  :z6
Nice cheap stuff here lads  and a cracking step by step

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10671&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=feeb7ec5264d6b4b2031b5902bac0bc8   
 :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #61 on: 07/02/2009 at 18:35 »
haha yea its just under the very front fibres, you can make it out, directly in line with the end of red...............JUST

I did use a bit too much fibers. But its a first attempt so...

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #62 on: 08/02/2009 at 08:55 »
I think they look brilliant :z16

Wish i'd gone now, although the roads out here were really shit, still are today :z10

Now can anyone do a trout about 4" long :wink
Or better still how about a Step by step, so i can give it go too, purleeeese :grin

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #63 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:02 »
Right here's my last two as I need to sort out some Salmon patterns,

I'm much happier with these but I still can't seem to get that lateral line material where I'd like it.

still - getting closer

Iain

Sandy,

I'm a few colours shy of representing a trout but I've ordered some more.

I bet Rob has Trout patterns already tied.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #64 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:05 »
Sorry Cam. forgot to say

great looking fly - we're obviously not in Rob's league but I'm sure we can catch on these.

Keep them coming.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #65 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:08 »
Right here's my last two as I need to sort out some Salmon patterns,

I'm much happier with these but I still can't seem to get that lateral line material where I'd like it.

still - getting closer

Iain

Sandy,

I'm a few colours shy of representing a trout but I've ordered some more.

I bet Rob has Trout patterns already tied.

You must have far to much spare time  :shock,  Cant wait to see if you catch on them  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #66 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:09 »
Excellent stuff guys :z16

Great to see you experimenting with such a wide range of patterns and materials, from these cracking flies down to wee dries.

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #67 on: 08/02/2009 at 13:21 »
Bumped into Rob in a certain emporium of fine tackle on Friday (late) afternoon, we discussed a few things in fly design/methods but I'm intrigued..... and also wish I could have gone to the second evening. But, work comes first  :z6

I can't see why some of those materials couldn't be made to work in salmon flies. For example, I'm already using some Orvis "super hair' to support arctic fox in some patterns, I can see great possibilities in a merge of techniques  :z17

Time to get my fly tying head on again  :wink

Hamish  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #68 on: 09/02/2009 at 08:41 »
I'll do a step by step if you like...try and do it tonight :)

As for trout patterns..ohhhhh yes :)..I have them in Rainbow and Brown and a sort of Parr too. :)

As Hamish was saying, I cannot see why these would not work for Salmon as is. I think I will try a "Rapala" one tonight for a laugh..silver lower, blue top and a yellow eye!

Dressed slim they would be dead ringers for a rapala!!

And Iain, there is nothing wrong with those flies..spot on, they look really good!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #69 on: 09/02/2009 at 09:01 »
Oh..and like I said on the night, its a style of fly rather than a specific pattern..no reason why you cannot run some "flash" down the outside for a lateral line effect, of tie a tiny amount of Angel Hair into the back or belly. You can also add a whisp of EP fibre down the flanks to give a highlight....I often add a fine whisp of pink along the flank to give it a "rainbow" feel about it when dressing a beige back and white belly.

The same tying technique can be used for DNA fibres and this gives an amazingly lifelike fish pattern!

I will stick up some pictures of the flies from Wednesday :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #70 on: 09/02/2009 at 09:05 »
Great stuff Rob :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #71 on: 10/02/2009 at 22:34 »
Are we going to set a date for another evening?
 :z18

Ben Dixon

« Reply #72 on: 11/02/2009 at 21:12 »
Hi Baz,

Working on it, got a lot on right now with work & I have some exams coming up, part of which takes place this weekend.  I hope to get a night arranged for early to mid March and the theme will be trout streamers, will do some flies and I have a fishing presentation I can give too if that appeals to anyone.

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #73 on: 11/02/2009 at 21:16 »
Iam up for learning anything to do with catching fish so look forward to hearing about another Night later on down the line  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #74 on: 11/02/2009 at 22:00 »
 :cool:

Definitely will not be next Wednesday, some shit about salmon on TV next Wednesday night!

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com