Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

stickleback

Re: FIRST TIME ROD BUILD PROJECT
« Reply #30 on: 29/01/2009 at 23:31 »
From start to finish if you had all the kit , how long does it take to make a good job of a rod?

My build took an hour or two each night for the guts of a week (that included making my wrapping cradle).  The longest bit for me was doing the wrappings.

Re slow blank turning gadgets.  I've read on the internet that the turntable motor from a microwave oven has the perfect turning speed - approx 6 - 8 RPM.  Needless to say, in preparation for my next project, I've managed to cadge an old microwave and hope to strip the motor out with the help of a mate who's an electrician - wouldn't want to get zapped by mistake  :shock  Hopefully I'll succeed in building a Heath Robinson turner and will post pictures.  If not I'll have to take you up on your kind offer Sandy.

Re my earlier comment about my desire for cheap Meiser salmon rod blanks.  After a fair bit of digging around on the internet I've found that it's a New Zealand company called CTS that supplies them.  I've spoken to them and confirmed it and ordered the blanks up tonight   :z12.  For anyone buying blanks from abroad - beware of the exchange rates and do your homework - the blanks I identified varied hugely in price depending where they could be sourced from.  CTS firstly quoted in US dollars (I presume because most of their sales are to the US ?), then when I asked they also quoted in NZ dollars. This one questio has saved me approx 30% of the price - buying them in New Zealand dollars is saving me approx £90 compared to buying them in US dollars.  I think this must be down to the crazy volatility of the exchange rates between the 3 currencies  :z8.  I could also have sourced the blanks in Europe but price was frankly outrageously.

Does anyone know where I can source reasonably priced good quality cork rings (including burl) in half inch, quarter inch, and eighth inch thicknesses to make a fancy handle ?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 30/01/2009 at 12:03 »
Incidentally in my experience Heating the epoxy will reduce the pot-life substantially , it will make it slightly less viscous for a short time, but will reduce your time for completing the job. Too much of a compromise for me.

Totally agree..hencd the reason I am stuck with 5 rods to epoxy!!!! Bring on the warmer weather!!!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #32 on: 30/01/2009 at 12:05 »
Stickleback...

did you know you can get CTS blanks in the UK? H and H bring them in.

Also, for cork, try David Norwich or Steve Parton..infact, steve is cheaper and the quality is spot on.

Hope that helps
Rob

stickleback

« Reply #33 on: 31/01/2009 at 09:00 »
No - I ordered the blanks direct from CTS in New Zealand.  I'll check out your suggested cork suppliers.  Cheers

Cammy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #34 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:11 »
First Rod Build Project - Finished at last!!!

Well I finally found the time to get some more work done on my first rod building Project, an IM6 10ft 5/6wt 7pc travel rod.

After reading Cammy’s post a couple of times, getting some advice from Spiderman & borrowing a rod turner from Mike B I set to it.

It wasn’t all plain sailing, luckily I managed to get a replacement reel seat & wooden insert from Mike.

The finished product looks OK to me, plan to take it to Haddo on Sunday to let Mike see it & see what he thinks.

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:28 »
 :z16 :z16 :z16 Nice build!

I did a 7 peice for a friend a good few years ago..nightmare to do..lol..far too many whippings ;)

You are not the only one to do that to a reel seat...  :oops :oops

Barry Robertson

« Reply #36 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:29 »
Looks very techno Alex, love the whipping colour.
Well done anyway on completing your first rod  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:37 »
Hi Alex

Great to see the photos, I'm really looking forward to seeing the rod ....... Well done! :z16

You have embarked on a slippery slope ..... What's your next project then? :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #38 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:44 »
Hi Guys Thanks for the kind comments. :z16

Rob

Yes now realise the 7pc was not the wisest move for a first Project. :oops

Mike

Don't know , will wait & see what you think when you see the Rod on Sunday, :wink
Been asked to build a 10 1/2" 8wt for a guy I work with but don't think I am up to building
rods for someone else, but if he insists I will try to convince him to try something lighter. :z8

Alex

stickleback

« Reply #39 on: 28/08/2009 at 22:51 »
Nice one Alex - looks like you've made a cracking job  :z16.  You don't do things by halves - whipping 7 sections on your first build  :shock :z4  Well done.

Cammy

Alex Thain

« Reply #40 on: 29/08/2009 at 19:03 »
hi stickleback.    solway custom components  is the best site i have used for cork   great service   hope this helps? 

stickleback

« Reply #41 on: 30/08/2009 at 10:04 »
hi stickleback.    solway custom components  is the best site i have used for cork   great service   hope this helps? 

I was going to use Solway Custom Components but discovered that Mudhole.com are based on the outskirts of Orlando and as I was going there on holiday in July I decided to visit them (much to the disgust of my wife and kids  :z4 :z4) and get my stuff at American prices with no postage/customs charges.  I was like a kid in a sweetie shop - a truly incredible aray of rod building goodies.  They have a relatively small front shop but when I turned up all the way from Scotland they took me through to a humungous rear store room and workshop and helped me choose all my bits and pieces (and more worringly gave advice on what I'd need for future projects that I've got in mind  :shock).   My only word of caution to anyone who fancies visiting them is don't try and find them without a SatNav - they're tucked away down a quiet lane that's not very well sign posted.

If anyone's going over to Disney this year in October, Mudhole are having an open day on the 10th with demos etc.  Shame I was 3 months early.  Definitely worth a visit IMHO, but please don't blame me for your ensuing divorce  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #42 on: 30/08/2009 at 10:51 »
I have used Mudhole a few times too, but get the stuff sent to my partners office in Houston, and then she brings it back with her:)

She is back there in 2 weeks time so have a couple of reels on order from BassPro :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #43 on: 30/08/2009 at 22:16 »
Hi folks :cool:
Had a cast with Alex's rod today ...... excellent for a first build ..... and I'm sure it will fish very well :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #44 on: 02/09/2009 at 17:06 »
Hi Alex

You have embarked on a slippery slope ..... What's your next project then? :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike  - Next Project  :shock  Oh Okay, yes there is going to be a next project. I am planning on building an IM6 graphite 4PC, 5WT, 9FT, fast action rod, blank weighs 1.8 ounces & is a Dull Matt Black in colour.  Titanium Carbide plated over Stainless Steel Snake Rings and they are Gunmetal Grey in colour, AAA grade Half Wells cork handle & hopefully a reel seat that is a little bit special!!! :wink :wink.

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com