Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Re: Starting Fly tying
« Reply #30 on: 19/01/2009 at 21:33 »
So what is or was your first attempt of a fly dave?
I still have my first one lying about some where and it looks like a shark lure!
Quite funny how your fly box changes over the year as your tying gets better!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: 19/01/2009 at 21:40 »
Still remember my first.

It was a Size 10 black spider, Start the way you mean to go on :z4
It was christmas morning, 1984 and i have never looked back :z16

Now thats a memory that makes me feel good :z18
Cheers Baz :z16

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #32 on: 19/01/2009 at 23:20 »
My brother was a keen fly tyer and even tied lovely fully dressed Salmon flies @ a very young age, he showed me how tie red seals fur buzzers with peacock herl heads ....back in ?? 1976??

A very basic pattern but it caught me loads and loads of wee trout & I'll wager would still do a turn today.

Iain

Dave Mundie

« Reply #33 on: 20/01/2009 at 21:24 »
So what is or was your first attempt of a fly dave?
I still have my first one lying about some where and it looks like a shark lure!
Quite funny how your fly box changes over the year as your tying gets better!

Not tied anything yet as i want to master the tying off part first.
Seen lots of tutorials on various flies but don't know if i should copy them for a start till i get the hang of it or just dive in and see what happens.
Would like to get a chance to go to the tying thing at mastrick just to give me some idea of all the things, i mean you read about this and that but what are they, if i was there and they said im going to use bla bla then i'd see them picking it up and know what it was if you know what i mean?

Dave

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #34 on: 21/01/2009 at 06:43 »
Not tied anything yet as i want to master the tying off part first.
Seen lots of tutorials on various flies but don't know if i should copy them for a start till i get the hang of it or just dive in and see what happens.
Would like to get a chance to go to the tying thing at mastrick just to give me some idea of all the things, i mean you read about this and that but what are they, if i was there and they said im going to use bla bla then i'd see them picking it up and know what it was if you know what i mean?

Dave

I do think it would be benifitial to get the the tying @ mastric (this thurs), as you can ask questions also rather than just watching tutorials. As for first fly, I would recommend having a go at a spider pattern.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #35 on: 21/01/2009 at 23:04 »
Hi Dave,

Why not try this one

Basic Black and green buzzer

Materials required;   Hook – Kamasan B110 size 12 (smaller if required) , Black tying thread, Mylar Pearl rib, Flouro Green Floss, Sally Hansen Hard as Nails.

Place the hook in the vise - masking the point

Tie in black thread at the eye and extend to the end of the thorax area, remove tag.

Tie in the pearl tinsel. Snip the tag of tinsel or if you’re feeling brave make it neater by tying the tinsel in with two or three loose turns of black thread then pull the tinsel towards the hook bend until the butt is level with the 1st of the wraps (no cutting to be done).

Hold the tinsel at an angle and continue wrapping the thread along the hook shank – holding the tinsel at an angle assists the thread being applied with touching turns. Stop the thread about half way around the bend of the hook.

Leave the tinsel and return the tying thread up to the thorax area, again in touching turns. Try to ensure that the turns are touching as you are trying to leave a nice even surface of thread for the next step.

Wrap the pearl tinsel up the shank towards the eye. Try to make the wraps nice and ever increasing  toward the thorax. Tie the tinsel off at the area that will eventually be ‘under the thorax’. Trim the tinsel , whip finish the thread and snip off.

Tie in the Flouro. Green floss at the eye and snip off the tag. Make as nice a head as you can – rugby ball shaped is good. Note that whip finishing with thick floss will increase the head size so you may want to back off a few wraps prior to finishing. Snip off floss.

Apply a coat (or two) of ‘Hard as Nails’ ensuring that most of the fluid is wiped off of the brush prior to application as the brush fibers and  shaft hold a lot of fluid and you don’t want to spend ages trying to wipe all the excess off.

Ok so it's not rugby ball shaped but I'm confident the fish don't mind.

This is not only an easy fly to tie but it is without a doubt a fish catcher and my most productive buzzer
To make things even easier miss out the pearl rib and it’s just as reliable.

Hope this at least encourages you to give things a go.

Tight lines
Iain

Dave Mundie

« Reply #36 on: 22/01/2009 at 09:10 »
Ian,

Nice step by step will just have to bite the bullet and get started. Not sure but i might make it along to mastick tonight give me a feel for all the various feathers and their names ect.

Dave

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #37 on: 22/01/2009 at 11:21 »
Ian,

Nice step by step will just have to bite the bullet and get started. Not sure but i might make it along to mastick tonight give me a feel for all the various feathers and their names ect.

Dave

Yea just bight the bullet, but its not as easy as it looks lol.

You should come along tonight, Im going. Say hi, I look like my avitar funnily enough.

Cam

gunner100

« Reply #38 on: 22/01/2009 at 14:43 »
Dave,

Like you I am very impressed with Goolager's video. I have been using a whip finish tool for 15 years or so but there was a twist (no pun intended) in the vid that I had not seen before i.e. trapping the thread under the eye when starting to lay the thread. I will be doing this in future as it will secure the thread before commencing to finish off.

Goolager's suggestion to start on a buzzer is also good advice. I assist at the Stonehaven and District Angling Association fly tyeing evenings and always start new tyers on buzzers as they are straightforward and people can then progress at their own pace. BTW, the next SDAA fly tyeing evening is Mon 2/2/09 at the Community Education Centre (opposite the former St Leonard's Hotel) at 7pm. You are very welcome if you can make it.

Lyall 

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com