Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Starting Fly tying
« Reply #15 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:03 »
You can use two or three half hitches to finish off if you like Dave :wink

That'll get you started and you can come back to master the whip finish later :z17

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #16 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:21 »
This should help alot Dave
http://copperfly.net/fly_tying_videos.php

Let me know if they are any use  :z4

clark

« Reply #17 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:31 »
hey dave the flytying class at the mastrick community center is back on  :cool: if you come along and bring your stuff we have alot of experienced people there from expert classic salmon flie tyers to trout bums like me  :wink :z4 :z4
clark

Dave Mundie

« Reply #18 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:44 »
You can use two or three half hitches to finish off if you like Dave :wink

That'll get you started and you can come back to master the whip finish later :z17

Cheers
Mike

Yeh but how do i do them though?

This should help alot Dave
http://copperfly.net/fly_tying_videos.php

Let me know if they are any use  :z4

The prob with all the videos i've seen they dont use the same tool that i have .

hey dave the flytying class at the mastrick community center is back on  :cool: if you come along and bring your stuff we have alot of experienced people there from expert classic salmon flie tyers to trout bums like me  :wink :z4 :z4
clark

Its just getting time to get there thats the problem.

Dave

Barry Robertson

« Reply #19 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:51 »
I hated that tool and never understood how it worked , the matarelli is easy to use :z13

Dave Mundie

« Reply #20 on: 18/01/2009 at 18:54 »
I hated that tool and never understood how it worked , the matarelli is easy to use :z13

Yep it deffo looks easier.

Dave

Barry Robertson

« Reply #21 on: 18/01/2009 at 20:14 »
But iam sure if you look on you tube there will be an explanation for that tool somewhere!  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 18/01/2009 at 20:46 »
Dave,

I've the same tool - they are all easy when you've seen them used.

I tried to take stills of the process but gave up as I didn't feel that they were as clear as I'd like if I was learning.
I've taken a small video on my camera as my camcorder is giving me gip. Battery is charging - as always when you need to upload, and will post via photobucket real soon.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 18/01/2009 at 21:29 »
HI Dave

I used a half hitch for years, however i decided to try the tool eventually.
It took me ages to get the knack, but now i wouldn't use anything else.
Hopefully iain's Video works, if not i'll have a go myself and see if it can be demonstrated.
Otherwise it'll require the hands on approach. and a date will need to be set at the Hut :z18

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #24 on: 18/01/2009 at 22:31 »
Hope this helps Dave,

not a great quality but it givs you the idea of the twists and turns required.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 18/01/2009 at 22:36 »
Brilliant, Iain :z16

Hopefully, Dave, that will help loads, I wish i had had something like that to try and copy when i learned how to use it :grin

Sandy

Derek McLaren

« Reply #26 on: 18/01/2009 at 22:37 »
Easy when you know how  :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #27 on: 19/01/2009 at 07:02 »
Thats a great vid Iain, Ive always struggled with those damn WhipFinish tool. I always just use my fingers, but now i tend to use the "a few wraps around the dubbing needle handle then over the eye" method. quick and easy :D

Dave Mundie

« Reply #28 on: 19/01/2009 at 14:56 »
Wow cheers Ian think i got it now will keep practicing though. you better check i haven't worn out your video with the amount of times I've played it.

No other video i found on you tube uses this tool.

Dave

Peter McCallum

« Reply #29 on: 19/01/2009 at 16:47 »
My advice, for what it's worth, would be to get a biggish hook in the vice and practice on the bare hook till you can whip finish blindfolded almost. then go on to big flies and graduate down in size. When I could see to tie them I used to tie #28 caenis and there was no real problem whip finishing with appropriate thread

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com