Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Mike Barrio

"Total Float Fisher" anyone?
« on: January 07, 2009, 00:37:59 AM »
Hi folks :cool:

Help, I'm in agony, I've just been rolling around the floor in stitches! :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4

Somebody sent me a link to a video by TFF editor Steve Cullen, titled "Fishing The Thingamabobber" :z6

http://www.totalflyfisher.com/Videos/category_1/video_42/

Cheers
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Hamish Young

Re: "Total Float Fisher" anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:06 AM »
Oh dear - that's 8 minutes of my life I'll not get back  :z8
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »
Well well well...I first used one of these around 30 years ago!! I bought a packet in Singapore and fished a worm or small live shrimp under them in the Sungais of brunei for SiameseTiger Fish (Very similar to Barramundi but smaller and stripped ). The only difference i can see is that the actual eye looks like its ceramic these days, back then it was metal.

I would never have considered using one on a fly rod!!!

But this brings up a point about the use of bobbers being compared to "coarse anglers" float fishing. Well, compared to a coarse fishermans float set up, these things are extremely crude and unsensative! However, I am going to try and fish a team of buzzers on proper float gear this summer for Ide...just to see if i catch more than with conventional baits.
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »
Hi,
     Well this is all wrong is,nt it ?

The Bobber is far too small . Needs to be at least 3 inch diameter and far brighter ,fluo pink or green works. Also need to dispense with that silly wee fly and get a bunch of maggots or better a live nightcrawler on there .  :roll

Anyone detect a slight Americanisation ?  :z4 Maybe that's because bobbers have been used there ,(and elsewhere) from the year dot, fresh and salt , bait , fly and jig.
Just a small step further (backwards ?) to use a wee one as a bung .

Is it proper fly fishing , of course not, Charles !  Good fun though !   :z4

Paul.

PS: doesn't say much for the intelligence of your "Total" reader to feel that you have to make a video as to how to set up and fish a plastic bung , does it ?

luckyshot66

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »

PS: doesn't say much for the intelligence of your "Total" reader to feel that you have to make a video as to how to set up and fish a plastic bung , does it ?

HAHAHAHAHAAHAAA

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 13:10:46 PM »
To be fair, the "Total Plonker" range of mags is aimed at the novice. Encouraging them to fish in this way can only help with my world domination by coarse anglers ;)
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Paul Rankine

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 13:30:05 PM »
Well Rob,
               Many a word spoken in jest ...... :z4
Paul.  :wink

sightbob

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 17:01:52 PM »
all i need now is a spinning reel that'll take my flyline :z4 :z4
 :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 17:14:33 PM »
There's nowt new.........  :z4 :z4

http://www.oldreels.com/images/pivoti3.jpg
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

bigtroot

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 18:22:44 PM »
This is the kinda  of bute i could not be arsed standing next to at a fishery!
I could just imagine him looking around making sure everyone clocks him catching a fish!
I think if you have to use a bubble to catch fish you would be as well staying at home!
Cant believe he recomends sticking a lure underneath it to, and this is what beginers have to learn from  :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 22:33:58 PM »
and this is what beginers have to learn from  :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8 :z8

yes! which is why it should be US :z16

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Goolager

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 22:59:17 PM »
Relax Ladies,  I though fly fishing was all about experimenting & living together.

I actually think the 'thingummybobbers' are a great idea - so much so I bought one and plan to fish it in the not too distant future. I don't see what all the fuss is about & it'll let my two buzzers fish naturally with easy bite detection, no more eye strain watching the end of the line.

Chip Kazlowski

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 08:56:24 AM »
I've got the perfect rod to go with that.

No need for a double haul :z4

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »
Cracker Sandy  :z4  :z4  :z4
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum