Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tam Greenock

Re: Best tackle products 2008?
« Reply #15 on: 23/12/2008 at 19:51 »
Airflo G3 fluorocarbon for me, great stuff from Airflo unusually, bought some Fulling Mill copolymer, only used it twice, both times lost fish on the dropper through slippage

Barry Robertson

« Reply #16 on: 23/12/2008 at 20:39 »
Dave

You will always get droppers twisting round the leader , its nothing to do with the leader material. I suffer from it as well , just tie shorter droppers. the fish don't mind  :wink

:z18

Jim   

Funny you mention to try shorter droppers Jim, i find that longer droppers get in less tangles believe it or not!
Strange ? :z8

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 24/12/2008 at 11:39 »
Interesting :cool:

So which fly reel did you feel was the best in 2008? :z3

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #18 on: 24/12/2008 at 11:51 »
Mike

Wouldn't use anything other than your reels now Mike, :z16 I even stopped using more expensive reels to start using yours & wouldn't go back to them.

Alex

Barry Robertson

« Reply #19 on: 24/12/2008 at 12:22 »
Well after getting sandy's old Loop LTS reel for my 5wt i thought i better get another one for my 7wt. So Loop LTS was the reel of choice for me  :z16
Still use the trusty Greys grx on the big waters as it takes all my diff sinking lines :z4

Jim Doyle

« Reply #20 on: 24/12/2008 at 12:54 »
Snowbee xds  but still in love with my backwinders.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #21 on: 24/12/2008 at 13:28 »
Love the Barrio reel  :z16 Also have he Grey's GTX , I like that because of the cheap spools , the spools also fit the latest model. The Vision Koma is a lso a cracking reel at a great price.

:z18

Jim

Tam Greenock

« Reply #22 on: 24/12/2008 at 17:28 »
Cant wait to use Hamish and Sandys' backwinder woohoo, love my Danielsson Nymph

Iain Goolager

« Reply #23 on: 24/12/2008 at 21:46 »
Has to be the Loop Opti for me, but IMHO one of the nicest reels to fish with and fantastic value for money is the Scierra IC3 (providing you don't use the clear cartridge spool which makes it look cheap - which can also occur on more expensive reels).

Iain

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #24 on: 24/12/2008 at 21:55 »
being a bamboo and silk nut I love the Hardy Bougle Agate II. It is so smooooooooooooth and has a lovely sound when the fish runs!  Also, use my Orvis CFO III a lot and like that but the drag adjustment knob when switched to RHW is a bit iffy but a definite close second place for me!

Hamish Young

« Reply #25 on: 27/12/2008 at 11:14 »
Thought I'd group all of 'my' best products I've used (but not neccessarily owned) in 2008 together:

1. Fly line.

Rio Spey AFS shooting heads. Simply a revelation, simply the most effortless way to cast distance with a salmon rod, I'm a convert  :wink

2. Rod.

On the open market: Orvis Helios 9.5ft #6wt. Probably the most competent all round rod I've ever picked up, but all the Helios range are mighty.
Custom: Sandy produced the goods once again with my Winston BIIX 9ft #5wt which is sublime  :cool:

3. Reel.
Tricky. It's well known I like quality reels - or toys as I call them. Whilst the Lamson Velocity 4 runs it close, the 'prize' goes to another Orvis product the Mach VI large arbour salmon reel (shame it's discontinued).

4. Leader material.

I'm still a fan of Riverge Grand Max, but the froghair stuff will be my material of choice for trout on rivers in '09.

5. Fly tying vice.

No prizes for guessing that it will be the Marc Petitjean 'Swiss Vice" Master edition, an awesome piece of kit.

6. Waders.

Despite a few issues requiring an exchange or two, the Greys 'G' series get my vote for '08 as they were cheap, fitted me and were pretty good quality. OK, the first 2 pairs leaked badly but the third pair are tickity boo  :cool: Having now tempted fate, they'll leak like a sieve on the first outing of '09 no doubt  :roll

7. Wading boots.

Yet again Orvis - 'cos they make them in my size - this time the Henrys Fork II wading boots.

I'm sure there's much more (jackets, fishing vest etc), but that'll do for now :!

Hamish  :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 05/01/2009 at 21:19 »
and ....... what was the best tool for making proper coffee in the great outdoors? :z8

Barry Robertson

« Reply #27 on: 05/01/2009 at 21:39 »
I use one of these bad boys - for the hill lochs and a long day on the boat!
http://www.basegear.com/markill-peak-ignition-stove.html :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 05/01/2009 at 21:50 »
I use one of these bad boys - for the hill lochs and a long day on the boat!
http://www.basegear.com/markill-peak-ignition-stove.html :z16

Looks interesting, I hope it has been de-barbed :z4 ...... but what goes on top? Any old pot will make coffee, but what would you use to make some really great coffee?

Harri's photos have really got me going today :wink

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #29 on: 05/01/2009 at 21:58 »
These are pretty handy Mike

:z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com