Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

Re: Double Hauling
« Reply #30 on: 11/09/2009 at 13:38 »
Hi Stefan,
               Nice one. Thanks for that . Yet something else for me to change and try or should that be to try and change ! This is not going to be easy for me as i know I'll have to unlearn the way I,ve ben doing this for Years. Having unlearned yourself are there any wee tricks you could recommend ?

Many Thanks,

Paul.

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #31 on: 11/09/2009 at 15:46 »
Hi Paul!

Yes.

Break the casting down to just doing pick up-lay downs.

Cast without a line on. Pantomime with the rod.

Book Ben D for a lesson.

Best regards
Stefan

Paul Rankine

« Reply #32 on: 11/09/2009 at 18:23 »
Hi again Stefan,
                          Good advice there.  I,ve also found that doing it sideways somehow makes me more aware of what I,m doing . No jokes please chaps !  :z4
Cheers,

Paul.

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #33 on: 11/09/2009 at 18:57 »
Hi Paul!

I've been nagging people to work from a sidecast for more than 10 years. I am not laughing. Itīs another chapter in the book of dog bollocks if you ask me.  :cool:

Sideways is also good for gauge I've been told. Can you please explain that expression to a swede?

Best regards
Stefan

Paul Rankine

« Reply #34 on: 11/09/2009 at 19:58 »
Hi Stefan ,
                  I think that just means it's easier to see (and to measure and react to ) what would normally be hard to see.  As in an engineering "gauge "measures things.

I started going sideways  a few years back when teaching folk double hauling then I discovered that Joan Wulff had put out a video doing the same thing . I think we are deffo on the right lines with that one .

Should have said that I also often just ask people to put the rod down too , and then just go through the hand motions. That's interesting. Especially asking them to talk you through it .

The problem is though  that often they are not doing what they think they are doing  and also they don't have a line to show them what would happen if they were casting for real.

What is REALLY useful I,ve found is to get a friend (or someone they trust like an instructor) to watch closely what is going on and then demonstrate what they are actually doing .

Cheers for now, 

Thanks again,

Paul

PS: Spot on with the pick up and lay downs .

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #35 on: 12/09/2009 at 06:39 »
Hi Paul!

Sideways is also good for gauge I've been told.

Sorry. I am pulling your leg. This is a very coarse joke in Swedish... Maybe it was for the best that it did not translate that well  :z4  :z4

BTW, do you have any clips of you casting to share?

I read somewhere that there is a teaching model that they use for surgeons in the US: Watch one - Do one - Teach one.  That thing works WELL for casting too...

Best regards
Stefan

Paul Rankine

« Reply #36 on: 12/09/2009 at 21:48 »
Hi Stefan,

Sideways is also good for gauge I've been told. Can you please explain that expression to a swede?

Sorry. I am pulling your leg. This is a very coarse joke in Swedish...

Okaaay............ apologies from me too , it's difficult to respond properly when we have not met.

Of course I see now, the joke refers to tailing loops and they always look bigger sideways, ..........  of course. :z4

Unfortunately I don't have any casting  videos  of myself to share , maybe it's something that we could do as part of the Outcasts winter casting season ?  :z18

Best Regards Stefan ,

Paul.

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #37 on: 12/09/2009 at 22:27 »
Hi Paul!

:z4

Ok, try to get a video on yourself for your own use anyway. It can be very rewarding. Allready the video cam on a cellular phone will get you a long way in this aspect.

Hopefully there will be a Scottish Sexyloops Meet again next year and we could meet there! Even if there it not a SL-meet Charlott and I will probably come to Scotland anyway since we both absolutely love being there!!!

My casting is often rather crap in the early spring though but itīs always great to have a cast!

Best Regards
Stefan

Paul Rankine

« Reply #38 on: 12/09/2009 at 23:01 »
Hi Stefan!,
                Sorry if I sounded a bit stuffy there.

Not getting out fishing always makes me more than a little bit stir caraaazeee!

Yes, totally agree about the video . Something I,ve been meaning to do for a while.

Let's keep in touch , especially if you come over.

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #39 on: 12/09/2009 at 23:09 »
Hi Stefan,

What's the chance of you getting a short holiday over here in October?  It will be baltic here by then but probably still warmer than where you are  :z4

Went out and did some single handed distance today with the 5wt for the first time since the gathering in May, it is amazing what happens when you don't practice, was much more relaxed than the last time I had the tape out, wasn't hitting it and it was really going!!  Worked out that I am hauling througg the stroke on the BC and I think towards the end of rotation on FC but I think rotation is still a bit early on FC anyway.

Ben

Stefan Siikavaara

« Reply #40 on: 13/09/2009 at 15:35 »
Hi Ben!

Aha, hitting the big ones huh? Fecking hell...well that was just a question of time, blimey!  :cool:

For short-strokers like you and me hauling seems to be a very critical thing for getting real distance. I belive the last 10 ft for me has been near solely about hauling (and tracking). Increased my AWG about 5 ft after working on the stuff Paul taught me on the clinic in Inverury btw, and that was all hauling.

October, that is very tempting. Yes, it would probably be like our summer   :oops Not sure what will happen in October, got a clinic and a certification event coming up as it looks.

Best Regards
Stefan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com