Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

gibbyboy

Don Beats
« on: 08/12/2008 at 15:09 »
Thinking about getting a season ticket for either the Inverurie fishings or the Kintore fishings.....

Was out at Inverurie at the weekend and had a wonder from the bridge back up to where the trees start not long after the fishing hut at the sdge of the field but got stopped in my tracks there...

My query is, on the whole, what are the two lengths of water like (type of water, ease of access, techniques used on each etc etc)..

Any info would be much appreciated

Cheers

:z18

Jim Eddie

Re: Don Beats
« Reply #1 on: 08/12/2008 at 19:35 »
Gibby

Thats Mikes home territory , I'm sure he will reply when he spots this thread

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 08/12/2008 at 19:45 »
Thinking about getting a season ticket for either the Inverurie fishings or the Kintore fishings.....

Was out at Inverurie at the weekend and had a wonder from the bridge back up to where the trees start not long after the fishing hut at the sdge of the field but got stopped in my tracks there...

My query is, on the whole, what are the two lengths of water like (type of water, ease of access, techniques used on each etc etc)..

Any info would be much appreciated

Cheers

Hi "gibbyboy"

Welcome to the forum :z16

I like the Inverurie water myself, you will find a greater variety of conditions and personally I find it nicer to fish with the fly.

Once you have fished it for a while, you'll start to get a feel for the water and pick up some nice Brownies :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 08/12/2008 at 20:52 »
Hi Gibbyboy

I would echo mikes sentiments. If you prefer trout fishing Inverurie is better. Kintore has lots of good salmon water.
What are you hoping to catch :z15.
May well see you down there, next season :wink

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2008 at 21:06 »
I have not fished Inverurie for trout as yet, only for salmon but have fished Kintore for both.  I would definitely go for Inverurie if you are thinking about trout fishing with conventional methods as the wading is better, it is not as deep for the most part and it has a better flow to it.  There are some very large trout in the Kintore stretch (I have seen them  :cool:) but most of it is too deep to wade and due to the nature of the river there it is very hard to fish conventionally from the bank.  Big back eddies and conflicting currents really mess with your line and your drifts, some of the water is great if you want to fish streamers on sinking lines.  Same goes for salmon fishing I would say, the Kintore water only fishes well in all but a few places if it is running high, it is great holding water but more suited to spinning.  As for salmon at Inverurie, I have only fished it once and fished from the top of the beat almost into town I think the height was about 15" on the gauge and it fished very nicely with a fly.  I think I was using a 14 ft rod and shooting heads.

Cheers

Ben

gibbyboy

« Reply #5 on: 09/12/2008 at 09:48 »
Cheers boys  :z16

Thats some good info there....

I would primarily be looking to fish for salmon but also trout from time to time.
I've heard the Kintore stretch can be slower water and therefore, as said before, better spinning water then fly.

From the bit of water I saw the other day at Inverurie, it looked very shallow and slow the nearer the town I was....does the water change the nearer the start of the beat you get? As Ben said, better fly water for salmon perhaps?

Cheers again boys  :wink

gibbyboy

« Reply #6 on: 15/12/2008 at 14:39 »
another thing....

what is the access like at the start of the beat? Is there somewhere to dump the car up that end, or is it park at the farm and hike to the start??

cheers again folks :wink

Bigtrout

« Reply #7 on: 15/12/2008 at 16:44 »
Don’t restrict yourself to  just the busy council waters. There are some great other inexpensive  beats too. I have fished Kildrummy and a few others but my most favourite  is  Ardhuncart although I have not fished there for 2 years. I really must get back up there for a long weekend fishing in ’09. It is lovely fly water

gibbyboy

« Reply #8 on: 15/12/2008 at 16:55 »
absolutely....i fully argee, but if im looking to get a season ticket for this specific bit of water im after as much knowledge about it as possible!! :cool:

Bigtrout

« Reply #9 on: 16/12/2008 at 14:03 »
Makes perfect sense to me gibbyboy. I hope you enjoy your fishng no matter where you go!   :wink

gibbyboy

« Reply #10 on: 16/12/2008 at 14:23 »
I'm sure I will mate....im sure i will  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com