Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

Fish smoker
« on: 21/11/2008 at 09:08 »
Anyone ever used a fishsmoker similar to the one GAC are adverising at the moment
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/Just_FishM.html#a3993

Are they any good? I have a larger smoker for cold smoking but wanted something easy to use and hotsmoke, this seems to fit my requirements.

I once used my cold smoker to hot smoke and was fortunate not to burn down my shed so this may also be safer.

My 3yr old son has kindly offered to buy me it for Xmas :z4

Fisher

Re: Fish smoker
« Reply #1 on: 21/11/2008 at 09:57 »
Looks similar to the one I use. Excellent for hot smoking fish fillets -eg mackerel. Only problem I had was the burners were not very good. Fortunately I have a couple spirit burners from my camping days of old and they work much better. The fish taste wonderful when freshly done and still hot. I sometimes put mine on top of the barbeque - works a treat

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2008 at 17:05 »
On our annual assynt trip there are usually 3 smokers  in the group and lunch is based around the smoking of trout & a bottle of red wine.........................marvelous

Cal

« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2008 at 11:29 »
Its the same as the one I've got and they work pretty well, got mine in Lidl when they had fishing stuff a couple of years ago.

spencie

« Reply #4 on: 22/11/2008 at 14:26 »
I use one like this for hot smoking fish - usually trout or mackerel. Works very well, I brine my trout before smoking and they tast great. :wink

Stuart

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2008 at 14:14 »
Ive always fancied getting one and that seems a good deal. I know if I get one the way my luck goes i would stop catching fish lol

Kev Danby

« Reply #6 on: 24/11/2008 at 12:14 »
Cheers for the feedback I've oredered one. Hot smoked trout is good but fresh macks smoked on the same day with tomato salsa and crusty bread takes some beating. I just need to get out next year and catch a few.

I brine my fish for hot smoke but for cold smoke use a dry mix of salt and brown sugar. :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com