Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Children in Need
« on: 11/11/2008 at 17:09 »
Children in Need

I think i should.,be able to do this on here.

For the last few months i have been working on a concept fishing rod, some of you got a wee chance to play with it on Sunday. It has turned out to be a tad too expensive to produce commercially :cry Which is a shame as it is a fantastic rod and i think, quite a neat idea.
So listening to Terry Wogan this morning and his auction of things that money can't buy, it gave me an idea.
Why not run a mini auction for a unique fishing rod with all the proceeds going to Children in Need :z16

So up for grabs is "The Barrio Outcast Concept no.5"

Its a 9ft 4piece 5wt fast action fishing rod. It comes with TWO butt sections. One is for casting/practicing and has a slightly shorter grip and an anodised alloy reel seat.
The other Butt section has longer handle for comfortable fishing all day and a lovely nickel silver and an extra select buckeye burl reel seat. Both grips are high quality cork.
The rod is finished in Natural Carbon grey with royal blue whippings. It has single leg recoil guides and a Fuji cermet (Gold carbide) butt ring, this was chosen for minimum friction and does a fantastic job, the rings spacing has been optimised to improve the weight distribution and eliminate as much loose line friction as possible.
As far as action goes this rod is very similar to the Sage XP 9ft 5wt :wink and can match it cast for cast, its very light in the hand and is suitable for all forms of river and small stillwater fishing.
I think this is possibly the best rod we have built so far :z16

So if you fancy owning a One off fishing rod that is something quite special, and want the proceeds to go to a good cause then make me an offer.

The starting bid has to be over £150 :z16

The winning bid, should be a cheque made payable to "BBC Children in Need Appeal"

Pm me for more details, Children in Need is on Friday 14th November. I'll close this at Midnight on Friday. The rod can be tried out at Haddo anytime between now and then, but it is very good and just as described.

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Re: Children in Need
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2008 at 17:34 »
Fantastic idea!

I will open the bidding at £160...come on guys...

I have an XP made by sandy and i can vouch for the quality of his work!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2008 at 19:30 »
Good Cause

I'll bid £180

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2008 at 22:07 »
This is great

Thanks guys. :z18

I was originally going to make the closing date this Friday, the 14th. But i thought that perhaps people might like a bit of time to think.
However i'm thinking now it would be better changed to this Friday, given it is Children in Need day.

Does anyone disagree?

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2008 at 07:45 »
Fine by me  :cool:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2008 at 07:49 »
OK then :z16

CLOSING DATE

MIDNIGHT 14TH OF NOVEMBER 2008[/b]

SANDY

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2008 at 11:55 »
Hi Sandy,

Nice idea and nice rod.
Unfortunately I've just bought a Z-Axis so am skint (pity as the Simms vest is a nice one too).

Best of Luck

By the way my child is in need of a 4wt Helios, so if someone would like to donate one we, I mean he would be very greateful :z4

Iain

Steven Kidd

« Reply #7 on: 12/11/2008 at 13:14 »
Mmm...I like this, tried it out on Sunday.

I'll wait till the last minute I think, ebay style....

oops just gave the game away...

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 15/11/2008 at 00:29 »
Good Cause

I'll bid £180

Jim

Well done Jim! .....  :z16

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 15/11/2008 at 08:33 »
Great

Now I just have to convince Mrs Jedi , it was for good cause and not just a new toy  :z4

I'll drop by tomorrow Mike.

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 15/11/2008 at 08:49 »
THANK YOU JIM[/b]

May the force be with you :z4

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 15/11/2008 at 18:55 »
Well done..was going to go higher if I had not had to pay £360+ for a bloody new whel bearing...

Looks like you have a lovely rod there...jealous as hell :(

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 15/11/2008 at 19:18 »
Well done..was going to go higher if I had not had to pay £360+ for a bloody new whel bearing...

Looks like you have a lovely rod there...jealous as hell :(

Its an ill wind  :wink

Aye Rob cars are expensive hobbies.

Jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 16/11/2008 at 17:39 »
Colected the rod from Mike's this morning , its as nice as it looks in the photos  :cool:

I have not had a chance to try it wih a line yet , I'm looking forward to that  :z7

Its lucky really, I counted my fly rods , I had 13 , so that was unlucky , I really needed the 14th one  :z4

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 16/11/2008 at 22:10 »
I like it Jim ..... Yes, you really did need a 14th :z13

Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #15 on: 17/11/2008 at 08:19 »
Jim,
You do realise in some cultures 14 is an unlucky number! ;)...I have had a recent "pruning" of rods...i am down to 51 now... :z10..but have another two in "production" :)

Jim Eddie

« Reply #16 on: 17/11/2008 at 15:27 »
Rob

Thats just the fly rods , have not counted the spinning rods , sea-fishing rods etc  :wink

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com