Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Best of the Don?
« on: 01/11/2008 at 08:54 »
Hi folks :cool:

What is your personal favourite area of the River Don, the upper river, the middle reaches, or the lower river? ........... and why do you think you prefer to fish in that area?

This is a good time to think back over your season :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

Re: Best of the Don?
« Reply #1 on: 01/11/2008 at 09:06 »
Interesting question and a tough call that one Mr B :cool:
I am very fond of the upper river (oddly enough :!) as it was my introduction to the river.
But I like it all, I just don't have enough time to fish it all :z10
If I had to say why I really like fishing the upper river (say Alford up) then it would be because it's a very 'highland' stream with plenty of challenges for the angler - and it's remote, a great place to get away from it all for the day.

Hamish  :z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2008 at 13:13 »
Funny that

For similar reasons i would pick the middle river from Inverurie up to Alford.
I love it becasue it is a bit bigger, lots of green and some fantastic challenging water with glides and riffles.
Not telling you my favourite bits but they lie between Inverurie and Kemnay :wink

:z4

Sandy

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: 01/11/2008 at 15:57 »
Hi Mike,
           That is indeed a difficult one . There are so many nice bits both up and down and in the middle too !
For me it depends also on other related things like how many other folk are out ,(particularly on association waters !) .
For me though , if I had to pick just one bit ....... probably a non association stretch ( !) and probably Paradise Woods ,  in May .... Ah !!    :grin

Paul.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 01/11/2008 at 18:12 »
Interesting question and a tough call that one Mr B :cool:
I am very fond of the upper river (oddly enough :!) as it was my introduction to the river.
But I like it all, I just don't have enough time to fish it all :z10
If I had to say why I really like fishing the upper river (say Alford up) then it would be because it's a very 'highland' stream with plenty of challenges for the angler - and it's remote, a great place to get away from it all for the day.

Hamish  :z3

As with Hamish but I've only ever fished the upper river, so I must say that.

I would love to fish some of the other streches, any offer to take me next year? Sandy? Hamish?  :z8

paavo

« Reply #5 on: 02/11/2008 at 18:27 »
Hi
The first snow for the season is here. Tjirak took me out for a long walk yesterday.
It’s now time for dreaming of new fly fishing waters. So folks, for us who aren’t locals would it bee nice to see some pics. from the Don, exp, around Kemnay. :z13
//Harri

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2008 at 22:18 »
As with Hamish but I've only ever fished the upper river, so I must say that.

I would love to fish some of the other streches, any offer to take me next year? Sandy? Hamish?  :z8

Would be happy too :z16.

Come April we can sort something out Another excuse to get by the water :z12

Sandy

Harri.

Will have to rake for some decent pictures, might pop out and take a few if the weather stays nice :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #7 on: 03/11/2008 at 15:42 »
Would be happy too :z16.

Come April we can sort something out Another excuse to get by the water :z12

Sandy

Awesome, any excuse huh  :z18

Irvine Ross

« Reply #8 on: 03/11/2008 at 17:20 »
What is your personal favourite area of the River Don, the upper river, the middle reaches, or the lower river? ........... and why do you think you prefer to fish in that area?

I'm fond of the upper river for two reasons. Firstly it's easy for me to pop over the hill and be on the bank in twenty minutes. Secondly I rarely see any other anglers so I get the place to myself. Maybe the fishing is better lower downstream but I have not tried many of the beats there.
Must explore more next year! :z16

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 03/11/2008 at 18:15 »
Must confess to having a soft spot for the Inverurie Burgh Fishings, as I've spent so many enjoyable hours on there :cool:

I guess as long as I'm on the river ........ I'm happy :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 03/11/2008 at 23:50 »
I must admit I spend (usually) a fair chunk of the season at Kintore although I do prefer the river upstream of the flood plains as it's more like the fly water people envisage when targeting Browns.

I did fish Kemnay (ADAA water) pre April and liked the water very much but never made it back during the Trout season - why?!?  Both council stretches @ Alford are also cracking (never made it there either :z6)

Iain

Duncan McRae

« Reply #11 on: 04/11/2008 at 21:46 »
Mike

I'm also going to choose the Inverurie Burgh fishings purely for nostalgic reasons.
I first started fishing there as a boy 33 years ago and can vividly remember huge trout feeding along the reed beds on balmy summer nights.The bottom half of the beat was my favourite and fishing was a real joy back the early years.
Sometimes i wish i could return to my carefree trout fishing days and end my obsession with the "Silver Tourists"

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com