Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

Re: Our 2008/09 Winter Flytying Challenge
« Reply #60 on: 05/12/2008 at 08:42 »
Mike that makes sense I have a couple of other ideas for the paddles if I find time I'll tie a couple up.

One of the ideas is to knot a couple of longish feather fibres e.g. bronze mallard and then either furl the fibre or tie direct I'm not sure if this will work but I'll give it a go.

The other is to use golden pheasant tail and use the fibre after it has been pulled from the quill. if you have seen Ollie Edwards tying videos that will make sense as he uses this technique for bug legs.

Good luck to all with the next tying.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #61 on: 06/12/2008 at 16:19 »
Irvine,

You are pretty close on the paddles.  I used a feather from a grouse wing I have kicking around the desk, stripped then fixed with head cement.  It is amazing to see what materials you can find thanks to these flytying challenges!
Mike

Mike

Was that flexible cement (fleximent?) or ordinary head cement you used. I only have the latter in stock just now and was afraid it would make the paddle too rigid and prone to breaking off. sorry you were too pushed for time to enter Kev, you usually come up with good ideas and nice patterns.

I hadn't though about the possibility of the paddle making the fly spin. I just wanted them to be flexible so they would wag back and forth with a jerky retrieve. I'll tie up a couple using Mike's technique but, the way the weather is just now, it might be a while before I can try them out.

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone tackled the next round.

Cheers :z18

Irvine

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #62 on: 07/12/2008 at 16:36 »
I used normal head cement but thinned it right down.  It seemed to work OK.  I agree that flexible cement would be better but at a pinch thinned hed cement shold be alright.

Mike

Kev Danby

« Reply #63 on: 08/12/2008 at 10:23 »
I have some tubes of silicon adhesive (Dow Corning xxx) if you want to try this I can drop one off at mikes. I have used it on a couple of flies instead of epoxy for rubbery sand eels. This stuff is clear when set. Work was chucking it out and the tying magpie got the better of me.

The adhesive is quite thick but i have thinned it down with the accelorator used with aquasure.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #64 on: 08/12/2008 at 14:03 »
Kev

That is a very kind offer but I have just sent off an wee order for fly tying material so there should be some flexi cement coming in the post for me soon.

Thanks all the same :z18

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #65 on: 18/12/2008 at 22:39 »
Anyone completed their Alders yet?

I've got my test samples done & plan finalised - will do them tomorrow night.
 :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #66 on: 18/12/2008 at 22:43 »
not started yet

Irvine Ross

« Reply #67 on: 19/12/2008 at 09:09 »
Anyone completed their Alders yet?

I've got my test samples done & plan finalised - will do them tomorrow night.
 :z16

Yup

Done, dusted and handed in. I had to beat a tight deadline. SWMBO told me to put my gear away so we can all sit at the table for Christmas :grin

Good luck all

Irvine

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #68 on: 30/12/2008 at 09:10 »
Whats the deadline for this months entries?

Alex Burnett

« Reply #69 on: 30/12/2008 at 09:38 »
Whats the deadline for this months entries?

DECEMBER

Ok guys as promised. you have 6 weeks for this one, the closing date will be the 31st of December

Just incase you are still wondering when that is, it's TOMORROW Cameron  :z4   :z4   :z4

Alex

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #70 on: 30/12/2008 at 09:52 »
DECEMBER

Ok guys as promised. you have 6 weeks for this one, the closing date will be the 31st of December

Just incase you are still wondering when that is, it's TOMORROW Cameron  :z4   :z4   :z4

Alex

Oh well, no flies from me then, sucks being away for xmas.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #71 on: 30/12/2008 at 23:56 »
My flies are done but not handed in.
 I'm working in the morning (hopefully just the morning ) so will drop them off at Mikes'.

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #72 on: 31/12/2008 at 07:48 »
Mike,

-4.5 deg C with me this morning - doubt you'll be open, is there an alternative for handing in the flies?

Iain

Peter McCallum

« Reply #73 on: 31/12/2008 at 10:33 »
I could be a little late with the flies mike try to get them done by the weekend and post on monday

Peter

Mike Barrio

« Reply #74 on: 31/12/2008 at 12:07 »
Hi folks :cool:

Next week will be fine, either to my home address or handing in at the fishery :wink

Haddo is closed today and tomorrow for new year festivities :z3 and looking out the window, I guess ice might be an issue when I try to open again.

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com