Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

Fly lines
« on: 17/11/2006 at 18:44 »
Hey, I have a Sharpes Gordon 9'6 foot rod 7#, i use a shakespeare glider line ( just a cheap line, it was a present ) but it really doesn't suit my rod, i've tried the worchester fly line from Shakespeare, it felt better but still not ideal. Can anyone reccomend a Fly line that might suit it well, i'm probably looking for a weight forward also anyone got any info about Airflo's Sixth Sense or their ridge fly lines? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks Jay

Hamish Young

Fly lines
« Reply #1 on: 17/11/2006 at 19:11 »
Jay,
Well, loads of choices around. I suggest, when you go to Haddo for a fish, ask Mike for his WF and DT lines to play with and find which suits you and the rod best. Fair play, they are all Mikes Mallard lines  :!:  but even if you don't buy (which you should) it might help point you in the right direction when it comes to the line weight which might prove more interesting to you then yuo might think.
I've tried the Airflo ridge line and it was most impressive :z16
Pretty sure Jedi has Sharpes Gordon - so he may be able to help further.

Jay Scott

Fly lines
« Reply #2 on: 17/11/2006 at 19:20 »
Ok will do, thanks. So you would recomend the ridge fly line, the technology involved looks a bit suspect.

Thanks Jay

Hamish Young

Fly lines
« Reply #3 on: 17/11/2006 at 19:33 »
Ahhh - interesting point, it does sound a bit gimmicky which is something I do usually associate with Airflo products  :wink:

The idea is sound, in practice the ridge line I tried on a March Brown rod (yours again wasn't it Jim :?: ) absolutely flew through the rings and had less memory than I expected of an Airflo...... I've yet to try one out in real fishing conditions or on a rod other than the March Brown, but it left me feeling quite impressed.
Someone else must have tried 'em - Magnus :?:

Jim Eddie

Airflo Ridge line
« Reply #4 on: 17/11/2006 at 19:48 »
To be honest I bought it one out of curiosity and two because it was cheap.

I have not really fished much with it though. It does enable average casters like mike self cast prodigious distances though. Not that I think   you need to cast vast distances for the majority of sitautions though.

It was a bit stiff to th touch , but once it had come off the reel and you had cast a couple of times the memory was OK  I think it might suffer from memory in the colder weather. I aslo fished it on a Sharpes Gordon 10ft 7#  , the lines a WF6f and it seemed more like a 7 or 8#

I normally fish one of the Barrio range of floaters and  you will be hard pushed to find a better line.

:z18  

Jim

Jay Scott

Fly lines
« Reply #5 on: 17/11/2006 at 19:51 »
Great, how much do they cost? I did look at them on the website looks very nice. I'll be sure to ask at Haddo when i go up.

Thanks Jay

Jim Eddie

Bario lines
« Reply #6 on: 17/11/2006 at 20:13 »
Jay I think they are very reasonably priced at £16. Though check with Mike in case they  have gone up .

I do not do B/S , do not take my word for how good a line they really are , the link below is from probably the busiest Fly fishing forum in the UK , the question was : along the lines of whats the best bit of tackle you have ever bought.

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5437&page=4  

Cheers

Jim

Jay Scott

Fly lines
« Reply #7 on: 17/11/2006 at 20:24 »
Wow!! Good line, Good price........Sound GREAT!!  what weight would you recomend for a 7 weight rod? just a 7 or maybe something a bit lighter?

Thanks Jay

Jim Eddie

Barrio lines
« Reply #8 on: 17/11/2006 at 20:41 »
Jay

Take your rod along to Haddo , the great thing about Mikes lines is that you can try before you buy.

You can have a few casts with different line ratings to see which suits your rod and casting style.

:z18

Jim

Jay Scott

Fly lines
« Reply #9 on: 17/11/2006 at 20:46 »
Great will do, thanks a lot for your help.

Sandy Nelson

Fly lines
« Reply #10 on: 18/11/2006 at 08:41 »
Can only agree with the above except for the bit about the Airflo line.
Never liked any of their floaters, too many gimmicks and too much memory.
Have tried several never liked any.Anyone else notice that the ridge line hasn't been pushed that hard in advertising this year, or is it just me not reading certain magazines.
FF&FT only tend to do the decent stuff.

As for the Mallard, i have yet to try a better floater (incl my GPX) i have one of the first DT4's and it still floats perfectly, has no cracks and although is a little stained now, it fishes like new.Cleaning and slicking it once every couple of months makes a huge difference to any line.
Trying before you buy was concept based on the fact that several of us preferred different rods with different lines, IT WORKS :z16

As for 7wts Get yourself a 4 or 5 wt and you'll enjoy the fishing around this area a whole lot more, wherever you go. :grin:

Sandy

stickleback

Fly lines
« Reply #11 on: 19/11/2006 at 11:04 »
Jay

I've exactly the same rod as you and I've used a Barrio Mallard #7 WF for the last couple of seasons. It works perfect with the rod.  You're pretty close to Haddo so I recommend you pop out and try one - in fact just make a day of it, you won't be disappointed.

Mike Barrio

Fly lines
« Reply #12 on: 23/11/2006 at 21:47 »
Hi folks

Well, young Jay paid me a visit today with his Dad and seemed to enjoy himself despite the rain in the morning  :cool:
........ and he bagged himself a nice 4½ lb blue trout, plus a few others :z15  :z15  :z15  :z15  :z15

Fly line for the rod? .......... The WF7F was fine  :wink:

Best wishes
Mike

Jay Scott

Fly lines
« Reply #13 on: 23/11/2006 at 22:31 »
Great sport!!! loved it thanks again Mike.

Jay

Fly lines
« Reply #14 on: 24/11/2006 at 12:39 »
I got the 10 foot gordon a couple of months ago and i use the greys platinum wf7 and it is extremly well matched in my opinion and i also have the same line in a wf8 and it just flys thru the rings and they are quite cheap at £30
 :grin:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com