Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Casting rights and wrongs
« Reply #45 on: 27/10/2008 at 20:18 »
Hi Jim

I don't know how ...... I guess I must have buggered up when describing the idea behind the Outcasts ....... but some of you appear to have some right funny ideas about the whole thing ........  :z6

"danger of the casting club mentality" ........ We haven't even had the taster session to see what folk would enjoy doing yet  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4  :z4

This is all about a bunch of fishers having a bit of fun in a park ..... simple as that :z7

And yes, in my humble opinion, having a bit of fun in a park may well help to improve your enjoyment of "fishing out in a boat on one of our bigger waters in a big wind" ........ it certainly didn't do me any harm at the Lintrathen outing, I think that was the first time I have ever fished 3 flies from a boat all day without a tangle or a wind knot :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #46 on: 27/10/2008 at 20:24 »
Jim

A less eletist bunch you are ever likely to meet  :wink

:z18

Jim

Jim Doyle

« Reply #47 on: 27/10/2008 at 20:31 »
I said a big wind mike lol :grin :grin   Maybe you should call it a casting clinic :z12  as I say good luck to those of you who wish to participate   jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #48 on: 27/10/2008 at 21:24 »
I said a big wind mike lol :grin :grin   Maybe you should call it a casting clinic :z12  as I say good luck to those of you who wish to participate   jim

Like the float tubing Jim, we don't really need to call it anything, we'll just go out there and enjoy ourselves ..... thanks for the "good luck" wishes anyway :wink

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #49 on: 18/11/2008 at 00:28 »
Hi folks :cool:

Reading back through it ..... this is a really interesting thread :wink

I'm glad we went ahead with the Outcasts taster session, despite the cold and breezy weather and I'm sure the gatherings are going to be a lot of fun next year :z16

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #50 on: 18/11/2008 at 08:07 »
Hi folks :cool:

Reading back through it ..... this is a really interesting thread :wink

I'm glad we went ahead with the Outcasts taster session, despite the cold and breezy weather and I'm sure the gatherings are going to be a lot of fun next year :z16

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Yes it was a great day. FOr future event tho I think we may need to look for a larger playarea as it was getting tight and we had a number of unfortunate dropouts that day! (hope everyone is feeling better!)

Paul Rankine

« Reply #51 on: 09/01/2009 at 22:47 »
Hi All,
         Sorry guys , just catching up with this thread , and not trying to resurrect it .

To Jim Doyle and a lesser extent Big Troot I get the impression that we are talking a wee bit apples and oranges here.

I think , and correct me if I am wrong , but you guys are speaking mainly about stillwater bank or boat fishing , not river fishing . Sure , putting out a line on a loch , even in a gale , is a fairly straightforward affair. Not trying to be dimunitive here. This does not equate to what we are doing .

The "casting club" is I hope not just an end to itself ,the  I,m better than you , beachcasting type scenario, described by Jim. 

In context , being able to perform a variety of different fly casts in , say, a river situation can only help but improve ourselves as fly anglers.

Nowt  to do with beachcasting prowess or otherwise. I can cast over 150 yards with my beachcaster ,(which is an old one !) . Yes, I would like to cast further , but I do not have the knowledge and technique to do so , YET ! 

It's not just about distance though , so comparing beachcasting to fly casting is indeed, apples and oranges.

Peter raises an excellent point also. Having an understanding of our casting, even in a boat sitaution , understanding wide and narrow loops, roll casting off either shoulder , change of direction casts , casting under differing wind directions, and casting utilising different competition techniques are all useful things for a fly fisher to have in his armoury, I.m sure you would agree.

It's not geekyness. It's about being better at fly FISHING.  :z4

Never really understood why folk don't equate good casting with good fishing and the reverse.

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com