Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Casting rights and wrongs
« Reply #30 on: 12/10/2008 at 19:21 »
I would imagine that Sandy is talking about 9ft rods with line weights equal to (or more probably less than) a #5  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 12/10/2008 at 22:27 »
I recall a 4 weight 9 footer being mentioned..might still be on the rolling table...

Barry Robertson

« Reply #32 on: 26/10/2008 at 01:24 »
After reading all the names mentioned as casting greats - i find it intresting that none of them are world famous anglers.
My point being is it not more important to concentrate on how to catch fish rather than how to look like a designer caster  :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #33 on: 26/10/2008 at 13:31 »
Speaking personally for the majority of the time most anglers use a small range of casts, it's only when the going gets tough you need to use some more complicated casts. Some of the more exdtreme casts are primarily for show. It's a bit like fly tying - theres a certain satisfaction in tying a really good fly, much better than is needed for the deciet of a trout or Salmon. I mean any angler or fisherman can appreciate the beauty of a well tied fully dressed Salmon fly but very few would actually fish with one.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #34 on: 26/10/2008 at 15:02 »
Baz

Most of us will never need to be able to cast 40yds , but it would be nice to able  to do it if we ever did   :cool:

Its not just about distance though , its better presentation , line control etc

Cheers

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #35 on: 26/10/2008 at 15:14 »
My point being is it not more important to concentrate on how to catch fish rather than how to look like a designer caster  :z4

The two go hand in hand IMHO, whilst luck is always going to be a big part of fishing it is primarily about skill. Casting skill in particular.
Honestly, casting on its own as a hobby is quite absorbing - no.... really :! It is :! :! In some ways it's an art form. But being able to translate that casting ability to the water when fishing makes the effort all worthwhile. I'd argue that the names Rob quoted in his first post - particularly Joan Wulff and Lefty Kreh - are among the best known international fishers of their time, maybe not so much now, but in their time - yes.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #36 on: 26/10/2008 at 16:46 »
Most of the good casters I know personally are extremely good anglers, Paul Procter has the ability to make any cast look easy and I think he catches fish sometimes.  With a DH rod there are very few casters I have seen that make Spey casting look easier than Ally Gowans does and I am pretty sure that he catches his fair share.  I rarely fish in freshwater with a single hander at more than 20 or so yards but being able to hit that range in any weather condition is only possible for me as I can throw quite a long way further, if you can cast 30 + yards then 20 with good turnover and a straight leader is quite easy.

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #37 on: 26/10/2008 at 18:45 »

Intresting thoughts anyway , obviously people will have different opinions but it seams i was the only one to think along these ways. As far as still water or reservoir fishing goes i am yet to see anyone produce anything other than a straight forward cast!
Anyhow thats my thinking with no malice intended.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #38 on: 26/10/2008 at 21:03 »
What about hauling & roll casts - they're very useful from a boat or  bank. a reach cast when you want to drift buzzers and theres a strong cross wind . Do you use them?
 If you decide to fish a river a straight cast is not going to let you fish as well as you might. What happens when you need to avoid drag? Cast around a boulder? Add heaps of slack? Cast through a tight gap in foliage? Theres a whole load of situations where the difference between success & failure is being able to execute the right cast.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #39 on: 26/10/2008 at 21:09 »
Baz

You are right as far as still water and reservoir goes , saying that on the big English reservoirs , fishing from the bank the guy who can cast furthest is going to catch the fish.

Baz I consider myself to be a fairly bad caster and not a good learner ,  with bad habits that I have picked up over the years, so I go with some trepedation, If an old dog set in their ways is willing to give it a go anyone can  :cool:

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #40 on: 26/10/2008 at 21:13 »
I would disagree with that jim as from my own experience the majority of the fish i catch are usually no further than 30 yds out. Half the time you get in a boat the most common drifts are along banks or are quite close in to the side.
Again its only an opinion  :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #41 on: 26/10/2008 at 21:21 »
Baz

I was not saying that was the right thing to do, half the time the trout are at our feet , however on the English reservoirs ( competion wading restictions aside) folk tend to wade out as far as they can , this drives the fish further out hence the long casters get the fish.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #42 on: 26/10/2008 at 21:31 »
That i do agree with jim, i miss read your first post sorry.
Its actually quite funny you mention about the english waters , down at graftham this year everyone piled straight into as deep as they could wade before having a cast!
There was the odd wise old chaps who knew better though  :z13
No one fished the margins and all the boat anglers tried to cast into where the bank anglers were!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #43 on: 27/10/2008 at 19:23 »
Even on a stillwater I use Speys now & again for example if I see a fish cruising / rising at 90 degrees to where my line is I would probably use a Spey to make the direction change and if necessary I would go into a false cast to ad distance, it is the fastest way to present a fly at a dramatically different angle.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Doyle

« Reply #44 on: 27/10/2008 at 19:55 »
I tend to go down the same road as barry.  I said before that when you start to get into one aspect of fishing above any other then it becomes a pointless excercise.  You are all more than welcome to come out in a boat with me on one of our bigger waters in a big wind and try and do more than put your flies out in a presentable manner.  sod presentation its sometimes just doing it.   Yes, I think at some time I learnt to underhand spey cast, but i dont use it .  If its a casting club you want fair enough , I feel that these some times get elitist, i have been involved in the odd distance club but that was bait casters.  Its quite funny how many of the casters held up as paragons of good casting are american, most of them dont fish still waters and ask them to sit down in a boat and cast they would look at you in a very bemused fashion.  There is a place for trick casts ect but they are on exhibition fields when some sponsered caster or other is trying to sell some rod or other.  I think I will give this one a miss, I love my fishing and travel all over the world to fish, but the danger of the "casting club" mentality is the same as the "dry fly" vs other forms of fly fishing and its a place I do not wish to go.  good luck to those of you who do. jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com