Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: "The Outcasts"
« Reply #30 on: 10/10/2008 at 22:31 »
If ironing out faults is 'at hand' then I'd suggest bring the rod you use most often and are most comfortable with :z17
Get past any issues with tracking/drift etc then work on the distance stuuf, if that's yer bag  :wink

Should be an opportunity to learn a whole load of useful river casts too  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Thanks for the kind words Hamish we should try to get Will up too, this is the weekend before Caer Beris  :shock

As for kit to bring if we are looking to improve casting with a view to catching more fish with less effort, folk should just turn up with whatever kit they fish with most IMHO.  Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them  :z7

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #31 on: 10/10/2008 at 22:57 »
Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them

I wonder if he means 2wt rods? :roll

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: 10/10/2008 at 23:15 »
Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them  :z7

**Cough** (Hamish loosens collar :shock, blushes  :oops, looks slightly awkard  :o)....... I promise not to break them  :D

Jim Eddie

« Reply #33 on: 11/10/2008 at 13:54 »
I'll be there providing family work etc dont intervene  :wink

I can cast as badly as the worst of them 

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 11/10/2008 at 22:15 »
As a youngster I used to fish with bait in the sea and spinning gear in the rivers and lakes and I loved it ( in those days you could go fishing in New Zealand and never meet up with another angler ) but then one day, for the first time, I saw somebody fly fishing in a river ........ Awesome, I was fascinated by the way the fly line travelled through the air and I just sat quietly watching for ages :cool:

The angler made his casting look so effortless and the whole thing was almost a work of art in my eyes ....... that was it, I was hooked and I just had to learn how to do it :z3

I have been fly fishing for a good number of years now and I still love to sit and watch a fly line being cast by somebody that knows how to cast well ...... it is magical ..... and I wish I could control a fly line like some of the top casters do :wink

If I can improve a little, through some practice on grass ( away from fish :z4 ) I think it will add a lot to my enjoyment when I'm out fishing.

Best wishes
Mike

Magnus Angus

« Reply #35 on: 12/10/2008 at 15:03 »
Finally found the thread - love to come Mike but that's the weekend of British Fly Fair - so no can do.

How do I embed some Youtube clips?

Hamish Young

« Reply #36 on: 12/10/2008 at 16:23 »
On you tube go to the video you want to link to, click on 'share'. Highlight the link and copy n paste into your post:

Magnus Angus

« Reply #37 on: 12/10/2008 at 17:22 »

Clive Mitchellhill - English but still a nice guy and master caster - technically superb
(http://www.stsflyfishing.com/Casting%20Video%20Clips.html - fine casting)

Perter Morse - Australian, seems well capable of casting and his technique looks just fine to me.

Traditional Japanese fishing - single handed rods.

US caster Rick Hartman trying the new Sage TCX at the Denver show - casting a fair bit more than 40ft.

Paul Arden on Lefty Kreh
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/5principles.shtml
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/5principles2.shtml

Nowhere does Paul say "Lefty has no idea how to cast and is doing it all wrong!" - his first piece says he believes some of Lefty's principles explain casting badly - in the much later article (some years later) Paul revisits Lefty's casting advice and has changed his opinions.
For that matter Lefty's views have changed over the course of a long career http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkcastingbasic/index.html
Oh and of course he advocates practicing on grass

Fly fishers seldom need to cast more than 50 feet when fishing. Yet becoming proficient at long-distance casting can improve all your casting. You should learn to cast short (30 feet) first and then practice at greater and greater distances.

You can't learn casting from a book. You must do it. The more you practice the better you'll become. Practice on a lawn or pool. Casting while fishing is not practice. Practice allows you to focus on casting fundamentals without distractions.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #38 on: 12/10/2008 at 18:24 »
Nowhere does Paul say "Lefty has no idea how to cast and is doing it all wrong!" -

Bahhhhhh..the website has been changed!!!..as it says at the top..he has changed it as he re-read through it...see..even he says it was confusing!...The jist was that Leftys principles where wrong ..he has now changed it to badly explained.  :z16

Anyway..my post was meant as a little tongue in cheek and a little to stimulate debate...maybe I should re-word my original post coz too many folk are taking it literally  :z18

At the end of the day..i cant cast...they can..

Paul Rankine

« Reply #39 on: 12/10/2008 at 19:01 »
Rob,

At the end of the day..i cant cast...they can..

Soooo... All the more reason for you to come along to one of the casting days then ?

Go on , you know you want to .....  :shock

Paul.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #40 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:05 »
Baaaahhh! yourself Rob - you invented Paul saying Lefty can't cast Rob. Read the links - Paul has faults like most people but he is honest and has left both his old and current thinking about Lefty's ideas on casting.

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:22 »
Sooooo - I'm afraid I wont make it to the first one  :cry I'm on dayshift.
Will just have to look forward to the next one  :z16

(I'll drop by Robs' and kidnap him on the way)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:34 »
This is not good :z3 ........... Magnus/Hamish, what if we move it forward to Sunday November 9th?

Would that be OK?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #43 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:40 »
Again for me, no  :z10
I'll most probably be somewhere on the M6 south off to sit 8 days of exams  :shock

Bummer  :roll

Magnus Angus

« Reply #44 on: 12/10/2008 at 20:53 »
I can certainly be there on the 9th Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com