Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Re: "The Outcasts"
« Reply #15 on: 10/10/2008 at 09:01 »
Hi,

This sounds like a great idea, count me in.

I guess Ben_D, your the same guy that let me demo the Orvis Helios and Trout Bum down at Glasgow Angling Centre open day.  If we can learn to cast like you did then count me in!!........near 70 - 80ft with a 3wt?!

Cheers,

Steven

Peter McCallum

« Reply #16 on: 10/10/2008 at 09:21 »
There will be an initiation test of course .......... :z4

Cheers
Mike

Hey the casting looks no problem but what was that brown thing he lassoed??? :wink :z4 :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 10/10/2008 at 09:26 »
I guess Ben_D, you're the same guy that let me demo the Orvis Helios and Trout Bum down at Glasgow Angling Centre open day.

The very fella  :wink and the fishing manager or Orvis Banchory  :cool:

If we can learn to cast like you did then count me in!!........near 70 - 80ft with a 3wt?!

Is that all he managed with the 3wt :? :z7 - hope for me yet then  :z7   :z4 :z4 :z4

But he can really cast  :shock

Jim Doyle

« Reply #18 on: 10/10/2008 at 09:32 »
I will try and get along to some of the days, working shifts etc stops some participation.   70ft with a 3wt hmm I take it that was a 3oz lead and and an abu 6000 . lol :z12

Alex Burnett

« Reply #19 on: 10/10/2008 at 09:33 »
Hi "outcasts" :cool:

OK ...... I've looked at dates and have decided to go with Sunday November ( edit = now 9th )

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Hi Mike

Unfortunately I will be offshore so wont make this one, but hopefully all will go well & there will be others as I definately need help with casting, no point having a "state of the art" Barrio 5wt rod if you struggle to cast well.

Alex

Kev Danby

« Reply #20 on: 10/10/2008 at 11:42 »
Of late my already poor casting seems to have got worse so i'll try and make it.

Any thoughts on what kit to bring along???

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #21 on: 10/10/2008 at 12:01 »
There will be an initiation test of course .......... :z4

- VID-

Cheers
Mike

So you found that video of me then mike?  :z4

Mike,
if you ever want a "southern" meet occasionally, you can use my field, I am sure refreshments etc can be provided as can a "casting court" plus there is a barn for folk to mingle in :)

Barn sounds nice knowing the Scottish weather!!!

In all honesty I'm really looking forward to these, need to brush up on my technique as Ive gotten rusty from the many years away from the sport. Will bring my brother and friend also.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #22 on: 10/10/2008 at 12:10 »
I will try and make this but as usual wont know until closer to the time.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #23 on: 10/10/2008 at 13:05 »
Hi Mike,
          Always keen to learn . Can you count moi (and Stuart ) in too ?
Cheers,  :z16

Paul

Hamish Young

« Reply #24 on: 10/10/2008 at 13:20 »
Any thoughts on what kit to bring along???

If ironing out faults is 'at hand' then I'd suggest bring the rod you use most often and are most comfortable with :z17
Get past any issues with tracking/drift etc then work on the distance stuuf, if that's yer bag  :wink

Should be an opportunity to learn a whole load of useful river casts too  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #25 on: 10/10/2008 at 13:25 »
Yea to be honest I'm looking on this as a way to improve my technique more than distant. As most know, you find alot of fish cruising the margines.

Dave B

« Reply #26 on: 10/10/2008 at 17:29 »
 :z4Count me in! Always try something new.

Dave B

Dave Mundie

« Reply #27 on: 10/10/2008 at 18:48 »
Will see if i can sweet talk the other half as Sunday is family day, but would be good to learn something and improve my bad casting.

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 10/10/2008 at 19:39 »
This casting club thing may look a bit weird coming from me ......... let's face it, I have always been the one standing on my soap box and saying there is no need to cast very far and if you do you'll probably put the fish down. Presentation is the key, etc etc :z7

But our trip down to the sexyloops meet at Dunkeld earlier in the year has changed my thoughts :wink

Why? ...... Firstly because it was so much fun casting on grass, I didn't realise just how much fun the casting bit of our fishing really is! After watching some world class casters doing roll casting tricks etc, I find myself experimenting more and more and finding practical ways to present a fly to the fish which I would never have tried before. A real eye opener :shock

More recently, I have been trying to teach myself to cast further. One of my current fly line design projects is a 150 ft fly line with a 100 ft head for competition sport casting ........ and I really do need to learn enough to be able to test my prototypes myself :oops

This pushing oneself to the limit has resulted in a big improvement in my "normal fishing range casting" and what used to be just outside my comfort zone is now within my range and feels much easier :wink

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

DruBuc

« Reply #29 on: 10/10/2008 at 20:47 »
Count me in as well Mike please.

Sunday ohhh hope the hang over is nae to bad from the night before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com