Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: "The Outcasts"
« Reply #75 on: 24/10/2008 at 21:41 »
Hi gents,

forgetting the order for a moment, the content is spot on.

I'm looking forward to getting up and running :z18

"He who casts grass, casts longest" :z6

Iain

Magnus Angus

« Reply #76 on: 24/10/2008 at 23:37 »
Yup - we could switch it about.

I'd bear in mind this is aimed at improvers more than outright beginners, so our victims already cast, already hold the thick end of their rods and already know their feet are on the far ends of their legs. It might be an idea to introduce hauling using their default casting styles before opening a can of worms which might introduce style alternatives. To be honest I dunno if the order really matters.

Ben PMed me about doing something about roll casts, if we have time I think that would be a good idea. I'd like to throw Snakes Rolls and Snap or Circle casts into the ring and we should consider having a session on presentation casts. Clearly enough material for future meeting.

Do we have a start time yet? Btw I'll be late, I'm always late  :oops

Peter McCallum

« Reply #77 on: 24/10/2008 at 23:56 »

Do we have a start time yet? Btw I'll be late, I'm always late  :oops

Starting at 6.00 am Magnus - that way when we arrive you'll only be a wee bit late :z4 :wink

Magnus Angus

« Reply #78 on: 25/10/2008 at 00:49 »
Do they have a 6 that early - you mean 6pm?

Paul Rankine

« Reply #79 on: 25/10/2008 at 17:18 »
Hi Magnus,
              I wasn't talking about complete beginners or even different styles ......   but you take my point , obviously ,(eg.) someone with a timing problem is not going to be able to keep enough tension on the line to be able haul effectively . I suppose these things will all come out in the wash on the day and Rome won't be built that day either. :z4

Roll casts , snap T's , snake rolls and other circle casts etc. all good stuff but could I also suggest that the fishing /weather situations where these casts could be used are also emphasised fully . Maybe even looking at using the day to organise a game plan for future sessions ?

Anyway , it's looking good , plenty of stuff for folks to think about already !

All the Best,

Paul.

PS: I,ve Pm'd you re-SANA/SGAIC.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #80 on: 25/10/2008 at 18:51 »
Hi Paul

Yup - with a timing problem it won't be easy to learn to haul. Dunno that Grip, Tracking and Stance actually address timing issues do they?

As you say Rome took more than a day - hopefully those come with time and practice.

Snakes and Circles on grass don't come with a weather warning as far as I know :z4
Paul with a single-handed (or DH) rod on grass, snakes and circles are safe, and its easy to demo and practice them, learn the movements and the changes of direction and their applications come very easily. For my part I can't think of a type of fly fishing where I don't use them now - meaning they are not exclusive to double handed rods and salmon rivers.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #81 on: 26/10/2008 at 01:34 »
Can demo / teach most roll / speys on grass but it does feel a bit different when you try it on water, grass is much more forgiving of laying too much line down etc, that said, the main thing with these casts is learing the rod movements to set the cast up for the delivery, if you can perform a jump roll on water then you should be able to take the grass pratcied set up onto the water without too much trouble. 

I dont think we should overplan this but a 6am start does sound good :z4

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #82 on: 26/10/2008 at 05:43 »
I dont think we should overplan this but a 6am start does sound good :z4

I'm sure Magnus doesn't believe that sort of time of day exsists  :z7 :z4

In a rather unexpected turn of events, it seems highly probable I will be attending the 1st event  :z16
More on that later - if I get the 'phone call at work I'm expecting  :cool:

Jim Eddie

« Reply #83 on: 26/10/2008 at 11:31 »
Kidding aside guys  :z4

Have we decided where and at what time yet ? or did i miss that  :wink

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #84 on: 26/10/2008 at 23:27 »
Kidding aside guys  :z4

Have we decided where and at what time yet ? or did i miss that  :wink

:z18

Jim

Hi Jim .............. No, you didn't miss it :z4

Looks like sunset is going to be about 4pm on the day and it gets dark pretty quickly in November, so I guess we need to think about packing up at 3pm or 3.30pm latest ( if we don't want to be loosing gear )

Sunrise is going to be about 7.40am :z7

I have a few locations "up my sleeve" and will do my best to make a decision on which one to use sometime this week.

Best wishes
Mike

Paul Rankine

« Reply #85 on: 27/10/2008 at 13:16 »
Hi Magnus and Ben,
                            Magnus agree with all you say re DH and SH rod casting and Ben re- grass and water casting , (somethings harder , somethings easier , -more "stick" on water ) , sorry  ,my point was more to do with "usefulness" than the safety aspects of the various casts, ie. for weather read wind conditions and what casts are most appropriate for which fishing situations , kinda thing . If that makes sense. Would tie in with the obstacle course Magnus ?  :z18

Paul.

« Reply #86 on: 29/10/2008 at 12:57 »
Only jut found this thread and would love to take part if SWMBO does not hae other plans.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #87 on: 29/10/2008 at 23:38 »
Hi folks :cool:

Just to keep the updates going ........ the "Outcasts taster session" will be on Sunday November 9th, meeting up at 11am ( so please bring your own flask and sandwiches etc ) till approx 3pm depending on how things go and of course the weather :wink

The location has not been decided as yet, but I am looking at a few parks in the "Haddo" area :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Magnus Angus

« Reply #88 on: 30/10/2008 at 00:56 »
Hi Paul

Points taken.

Thing about this is Mike has proposed a club, we need to see how that'll work, its a fresh idea, I've nor been involved with anything like this before. Some of us, you, me, Ben, Pete, Hamish etc have been involved in casting classes, days and what have you - that tends to be about instructors setting the agenda. As I see it clubs work differently - members pool their skills - it need not be structured as an introduction or a lesson.

As an example, what I really enjoyed about the Sexyloops thing in Dunkeld were those moments where, say, Lee or Stephan or Marc said or demonstrated something I hadn't seen before - Lee performing a stunning version of a Circle cast - Stephan showing a level of control and the straightest tracking I've even seen - Marc throwing a slack line presentation I'd not see before. They explianed what they were doing but had no need to start at the beginning or dumb down what they were doing and assume their audience were newbies.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #89 on: 30/10/2008 at 12:34 »
Hi Magnus,
               yep, I get you , looking forward to it.
Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com