Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: "The Outcasts"
« Reply #60 on: 14/10/2008 at 22:59 »
Aye, for all the energy I put into casting you'd think I'd be thinner...................  :z7

Paul Rankine

« Reply #61 on: 15/10/2008 at 22:30 »
Hamish,
            That will be the batteries .  :wink

If so ,  I,d better change mine .........  (57 yesterday ... I mean ) .

Seriously though , I hope that the new casting club is not going to be about who's better than whom .

That's not what the object is at all.

Personally I see the whole project as an opportunity to learn new stuff from everyone.

Paul.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #62 on: 15/10/2008 at 22:43 »

Personally I see the whole project as an opportunity to learn new stuff from everyone.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Spot on ..... it is all about sharing skills and ideas :z16

The November meet will be a bit of a "taster" and is basically a chance to see what folk would enjoy and what they might like to learn/improve on.

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #63 on: 17/10/2008 at 18:17 »
Hi folks :cool:

This is proving interesting ....... over the last few days, forum members at the fishery are experimenting and taking a greater interest in their casting techniques and discussing what they are trying!

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #64 on: 17/10/2008 at 21:44 »
Seriously though , I hope that the new casting club is not going to be about who's better than whom .

Here ,here...........or I'm nae turning up :z4

Mike, after numerous years of casting badly I'd like to work on my basics primarily. Double Haul is an obvious desire but if my tracking and rod arcs etc. are s***e then I want to get that sorted first.
This said any of the other fancy 'instantly useful' casts (underhand single handed c/w haul, single spey, snap 'T' to name but a few) along with the vast array of cool stuff is getting me all excited.

Roll on the day!

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #65 on: 23/10/2008 at 08:23 »
Morning Outcasts :cool:

Couple of questions for November 9th .........

What time will it get dark ( have the clocks changed by then ) thinking about a start time?

Once we have the time sorted, I'll come back with my thoughts for a basic plan for the day, looking for feedback.

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #66 on: 23/10/2008 at 08:27 »
Morning Outcasts :cool:

Couple of questions for November 9th .........

What time will it get dark ( have the clocks changed by then ) thinking about a start time?

Once we have the time sorted, I'll come back with my thoughts for a basic plan for the day, looking for feedback.

Best wishes
Mike

Yes the clocks will have changed..they change this weekend :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #67 on: 23/10/2008 at 08:29 »
Thanks Rob :z16

So what time will it get dark then ...... 4.30 or 5.00 maybe? What would be a good start time then?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #68 on: 23/10/2008 at 11:15 »
Thanks Rob :z16

So what time will it get dark then ...... 4.30 or 5.00 maybe? What would be a good start time then?

Cheers
Mike

All you need to know here :)
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=305&month=11&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

No idea what time to start..coz i wont be there.. :z7

:z16

JoshAnelli

« Reply #69 on: 23/10/2008 at 17:18 »
mmm sounds realy good guys il see if i can get baz to come up aswell  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #70 on: 24/10/2008 at 11:34 »
Doing this "taster session" in November is not exactly ideal, the weather could do anything and this is all so much more fun in the summer and in T-shirts :z4

So ..... I think we might do better to keep things simple, I like simple :wink

I would suggest something like the following:

1: A short ( 15 mins approx ) presentation on hauling ( Ben )
2: followed by a good while for everybody to practice and help each other
3: Have a go at a couple of the easier casting games ( Peter )
4: A short ( 15 mins approx ) presentation on stance, tracking and grip ( Magnus )
5: followed by a good while for everybody to practice and help each other

6: If we find we have time to play with after the above, maybe somebody could volunteer to do a short presentation on one of the "twiddly" casts, followed by practice?

I think something like the above would help to build a good foundation that we can continue to play with next year and will give us an idea of what it is like to cast on grass.

How does it sound to you folks .........OK?
Best wishes
Mike

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #71 on: 24/10/2008 at 12:02 »
Doing this "taster session" in November is not exactly ideal, the weather could do anything and this is all so much more fun in the summer and in T-shirts :z4

So ..... I think we might do better to keep things simple, I like simple :wink

4: A short ( 15 mins approx ) presentation on stance, tracking and grip ( Magnus )

6: If we find we have time to play with after the above, maybe somebody could volunteer to do a short presentation on one of the "twiddly" casts, followed by practice?

I think something like the above would help to build a good foundation that we can continue to play with next year and will give us an idea of what it is like to cast on grass.

Best wishes
Mike

Sounds SPOT ON to me mike,

Irvine Ross

« Reply #72 on: 24/10/2008 at 15:45 »

Mike

I suggest you swap item 1 with item 4. No point practising hauling if your basic casting still needs repair. Your errors ( well my errors at least) just become even more significant.

Cheers

Irvine

Paul Rankine

« Reply #73 on: 24/10/2008 at 17:33 »
Hi All,
         I agree with Irvine. In fact I,m almost going to say that maybe "the basics"  should be the major focus to begin with , but still keep it fun though .

Paul.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #74 on: 24/10/2008 at 20:21 »
Correct a haul is not effective unless it is applied to a good basic cast so it may make sense to swap Magnus & I, will have a chat to Magnus about it.

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com