Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Ben_D

Re: "The Outcasts"
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 22:31:12 PM »
If ironing out faults is 'at hand' then I'd suggest bring the rod you use most often and are most comfortable with :z17
Get past any issues with tracking/drift etc then work on the distance stuuf, if that's yer bag  :wink

Should be an opportunity to learn a whole load of useful river casts too  :cool:

Hamish  :z3

Thanks for the kind words Hamish we should try to get Will up too, this is the weekend before Caer Beris  :shock

As for kit to bring if we are looking to improve casting with a view to catching more fish with less effort, folk should just turn up with whatever kit they fish with most IMHO.  Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them  :z7

Ben

Goolager

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2008, 22:57:14 PM »
Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them

I wonder if he means 2wt rods? :roll

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2008, 23:15:00 PM »
Ill bring along a few toys too as long as you promise not to break them  :z7

**Cough** (Hamish loosens collar :shock, blushes  :oops, looks slightly awkard  :o)....... I promise not to break them  :D
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Jim Eddie

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 13:54:15 PM »
I'll be there providing family work etc dont intervene  :wink

I can cast as badly as the worst of them 

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 22:15:52 PM »
As a youngster I used to fish with bait in the sea and spinning gear in the rivers and lakes and I loved it ( in those days you could go fishing in New Zealand and never meet up with another angler ) but then one day, for the first time, I saw somebody fly fishing in a river ........ Awesome, I was fascinated by the way the fly line travelled through the air and I just sat quietly watching for ages :cool:

The angler made his casting look so effortless and the whole thing was almost a work of art in my eyes ....... that was it, I was hooked and I just had to learn how to do it :z3

I have been fly fishing for a good number of years now and I still love to sit and watch a fly line being cast by somebody that knows how to cast well ...... it is magical ..... and I wish I could control a fly line like some of the top casters do :wink

If I can improve a little, through some practice on grass ( away from fish :z4 ) I think it will add a lot to my enjoyment when I'm out fishing.

Best wishes
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Magnus Angus

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 15:03:27 PM »
Finally found the thread - love to come Mike but that's the weekend of British Fly Fair - so no can do.

How do I embed some Youtube clips?

Hamish Young

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 16:23:44 PM »
On you tube go to the video you want to link to, click on 'share'. Highlight the link and copy n paste into your post:

“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Magnus Angus

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 17:22:35 PM »

Clive Mitchellhill - English but still a nice guy and master caster - technically superb
(http://www.stsflyfishing.com/Casting%20Video%20Clips.html - fine casting)

Perter Morse - Australian, seems well capable of casting and his technique looks just fine to me.

Traditional Japanese fishing - single handed rods.

US caster Rick Hartman trying the new Sage TCX at the Denver show - casting a fair bit more than 40ft.

Paul Arden on Lefty Kreh
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/5principles.shtml
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/5principles2.shtml

Nowhere does Paul say "Lefty has no idea how to cast and is doing it all wrong!" - his first piece says he believes some of Lefty's principles explain casting badly - in the much later article (some years later) Paul revisits Lefty's casting advice and has changed his opinions.
For that matter Lefty's views have changed over the course of a long career http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkcastingbasic/index.html
Oh and of course he advocates practicing on grass

Fly fishers seldom need to cast more than 50 feet when fishing. Yet becoming proficient at long-distance casting can improve all your casting. You should learn to cast short (30 feet) first and then practice at greater and greater distances.

You can't learn casting from a book. You must do it. The more you practice the better you'll become. Practice on a lawn or pool. Casting while fishing is not practice. Practice allows you to focus on casting fundamentals without distractions.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 18:24:33 PM »
Nowhere does Paul say "Lefty has no idea how to cast and is doing it all wrong!" -

Bahhhhhh..the website has been changed!!!..as it says at the top..he has changed it as he re-read through it...see..even he says it was confusing!...The jist was that Leftys principles where wrong ..he has now changed it to badly explained.  :z16

Anyway..my post was meant as a little tongue in cheek and a little to stimulate debate...maybe I should re-word my original post coz too many folk are taking it literally  :z18

At the end of the day..i cant cast...they can..

Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Paul Rankine

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 19:01:01 PM »
Rob,

At the end of the day..i cant cast...they can..

Soooo... All the more reason for you to come along to one of the casting days then ?

Go on , you know you want to .....  :shock

Paul.

Magnus Angus

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 20:05:03 PM »
Baaaahhh! yourself Rob - you invented Paul saying Lefty can't cast Rob. Read the links - Paul has faults like most people but he is honest and has left both his old and current thinking about Lefty's ideas on casting.

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 20:22:26 PM »
Sooooo - I'm afraid I wont make it to the first one  :cry I'm on dayshift.
Will just have to look forward to the next one  :z16

(I'll drop by Robs' and kidnap him on the way)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2008, 20:34:44 PM »
This is not good :z3 ........... Magnus/Hamish, what if we move it forward to Sunday November 9th?

Would that be OK?

Cheers
Mike
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Hamish Young

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2008, 20:40:22 PM »
Again for me, no  :z10
I'll most probably be somewhere on the M6 south off to sit 8 days of exams  :shock

Bummer  :roll

Magnus Angus

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2008, 20:53:57 PM »
I can certainly be there on the 9th Mike

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum