Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

New Places to Fish
« on: 16/11/2006 at 19:41 »
Hey

I have been fishing a lot at Insch but lately i havnt been catching a lot lately and am thinking about trying somewhere new. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jay

Hamish Young

New Places to Fish
« Reply #1 on: 16/11/2006 at 22:14 »
Jay,
As I'm sure you know, there are plenty of waters to choose from in the area  :wink:  We are spoilt for choice you might say  :wink:
Might be easier if you say which waters you have fished (other than Insch) so some suggestions can be made......  :?:

Jay Scott

New Places to Fish
« Reply #2 on: 16/11/2006 at 22:17 »
Thanks er... lochter and loch insch are the only two local fisheries i have fished, usually if i catch a fish then i dont go anywhere else :grin: i've always wanted to try haddo and i think i will very soon but anymore suggestions, the more the merrier.

Thanks Jay

Hamish Young

New Places to Fish
« Reply #3 on: 16/11/2006 at 22:32 »
Jay,
Of the front page of the sitehttp://fishingthefly.co.uk/ there's links to numerous fisheries, many of whom post reports on the forum.
I haven't managed them all myself (too little time & money) but do go to Haddo :cool: Also well worth a visit is Midmar although like insch and lochter it's relatively exposed and at this time of the year that's something of a mixed blessing :shock:
Come the spring next year a day at Glen Tanar Loch could provide you with some good sport on a quiet water :idea:
I guess it depends on what you want from your day :?:  Always worth asking around on the forum to see if anyone else is going out who can point you to the right places/methods at a new fishery - pretty obliging lot here  :wink:

Sandy Nelson

New Places to Fish
« Reply #4 on: 17/11/2006 at 09:21 »
Jay

Welcome to the Forum, for what its worth most of the fisheries are good on their day.
Pitfour, Haddo and Delgatie are all must tries from the boat or tube.
as from the bank any of the others are worth a shot.
Must confess lochter is my least favorite place due to the exposed and fairly featureless surroundings.
I fish haddo most , but i like Otters,ospreys,voles,squirrels,herons and various hawks to watch while i'm fishing, plus Mike makes the best Tea :grin:

Living in Inverurie you should get yourself a Season ticket for the river next year and give it a go, there are some great stretches under the Inverurie ticket.Walking down the Don on a night ,beats going out to a fishery any day and it can turn out a few surprises,
Inverurie produced at least 3 trout over 5lbs last season that i know of.(one of those was over 6lb and caught on a trout fly)
But there are plenty of 1lb+ once you get the hang of it.
Its much more fun to learn about than the stillwaters too :cool:
Plus the Ury is always worth a few casts(in the right spots :wink: )
Althought eh building work at Meldrum bridge may affect it , we'll see next season, hopefully not.

Sandy

Jim Eddie

New places to try
« Reply #5 on: 17/11/2006 at 10:36 »
First of all get yourself along to Haddo , you'll enjoy it.

Not a lot to add to the advice already given , however Fedderate Reservoir on its day can throw up some cracking sport , with the chance of a good wild Brownie.

:z18

Jim

Jay Scott

New Places to Fish
« Reply #6 on: 17/11/2006 at 13:05 »
Thanks i'll be sure to give those fisheries a try and get a season ticket for the Don, thanks for the advice, it was most helpfull

Thanks Jay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com