Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Strachan

33lb Salmon
« on: 04/10/2008 at 13:57 »
Just wondering if anyone else down this way has heard of this? I was fishing the North Esk on Thursday at North Water Bridge and was told about a 33lbr caught in the West Water, i had a look at the fishesk site and it does have a fish that size recorded but doesnt say from where. Anyway ,if it did come from the West Water whoever hooked it must have had a battle royale in such a small river! Fingers crossed its big brother has come up the Luther or Bervie!  :z4

Rob Brownfield

Re: 33lb Salmon
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/2008 at 16:56 »
The largest salmon ever caught in the UK came from the Bervie..I believe it dwarfed the Tays 64 pounder...but it came to one of the estuary nets.  I cannot remember the size but i am sure it was 90 + pounds. Would have been the late 1800's. The Mearns Leader did a local history page years ago and it was in there. I understand the records may be kept in Stonehaven if anyone wants to look it up.

Strange how small rivers can throw up HUGE fish.

Jim Doyle

« Reply #2 on: 04/10/2008 at 21:06 »
I think the largest unofficial salmon came from a river feeding into the Forth system, it was poached and when weighed the next day on potatoe scales was over 112lb!  from sutherlands book I think .  jim

Jim Doyle

« Reply #3 on: 04/10/2008 at 21:08 »
Have to admit I lost a very big fish in the west water below the loups. there was reputedly one caught and returned at over 40 a few years ago .  jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 04/10/2008 at 22:12 »
I think the largest unofficial salmon came from a river feeding into the Forth system, it was poached and when weighed the next day on potatoe scales was over 112lb!  from sutherlands book I think .  jim

Blimey!!!  :shock

I think..and its a big "think" that there is a photo of the Bervie fish at Fasque House..was thinking about it tonight and somewhere in the distant past I am sure I saw it there when having a look round.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 04/10/2008 at 23:04 »
There was a brief report on this fish in this weeks 'Brechiner'.

Sorry but I only got the gist of the story due to 'a house full of kids'. I did catch the fact that it was from the Westie and reportedly was the largest fish from the water in ten years. The beat was given but it didn't register as I'm not overly familiar with the river.

However, there was a picture of the elderly gentleman holding his prize by the wrist so I'm assuming it was knocked on the head :cry

Didn't get a glimpse of method or weight but will get my roving reporter to phone the details tomorrow.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2008 at 07:00 »

Graham Strachan

« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2008 at 09:59 »
Blimey!!!  :shock

I think..and its a big "think" that there is a photo of the Bervie fish at Fasque House..was thinking about it tonight and somewhere in the distant past I am sure I saw it there when having a look round.

Yeah i think you`re right Rob, im sure i`ve seen that at Fasque as well, also remember a story years ago about a 50lbr caught in days of old just at the old Bervie bridge on the worm. I know myself i`ve seen some big fish in the Bervie 15-20lbs and i remember pulling a dead fish out of the water years ago (which was absolutely STINKING by the way!) which weighed 26lb, i love these little rivers!
It will be interesting to see if there are any reports in the bigger papers about the Westie fish, but in the mean time i`ll have to try and get my hands on a copy of the Brechiner.

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #8 on: 05/10/2008 at 19:55 »
There is a picture of the fish and the story of its capture on here

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi?board=southesk&action=display&thread=2411&page=1

Graham Strachan

« Reply #9 on: 05/10/2008 at 20:03 »
There is a picture of the fish and the story of its capture on here

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi?board=southesk&action=display&thread=2411&page=1

Christ thats a big fish!

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #10 on: 05/10/2008 at 20:31 »
There was one of 34lb off the Deveron this last week.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 05/10/2008 at 21:02 »
Thats nice to hear Graham , I'm fishing the Deveron next week , mind you it will be the usual story , should have been here last week  :wink

:z18

Jim

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 06/10/2008 at 12:48 »
  Jesus That is a fair fish!  I recieve the fishdee report via email and there has been a lot of big fish recorded in the last week :z16

I have four days begining this friday on Middle Drum so heres hoping! :z15 :z15 :z15

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 06/10/2008 at 21:07 »
Very brief report of Westie Salmon from 'Brechiner'

Photo is avail. from G Ritchies Link

Iain

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 07/10/2008 at 21:00 »
  Just an after thought this wouldnt be ''grahamstrachan'' aka whiteboy from laurencekirk would it? if so this is steven sinclair (lee summers' mate speeg) i tried sendin you a pm but im not sure if it worked properly or not.

Cheers Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com