Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Andy Wren

Inflation
« on: September 28, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »
Short of Puff ,
Just started with a Shakey Tube ,finding blowing the thing up hard work on the lungs, Bailiff at Ravensthorpe said he thought I was due a heart attack !
What would you guys recomend for inflation ,the bumf that comes with the tube recomends not using pumps .
If no answer it may go on classified and I dont want that to happen !
Andy Wren

Hamish Young

Re: Inflation
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:08:45 AM »
An airbed pump, preferably single action, should do the job fine. I have one of these:
http://www.outdoorfox.co.uk/3-Litre-Foot-Pump-p-145.html
Although as you say the tube you have is designed to be 'lung' inflated, so be careful as it will not take long to fill :!
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Andy Wren

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:14:32 AM »
Hamish ,
thanks for that ,of to bash the plastic ,will probably leave it for a week to get any other votes !
Andy Wren

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
Every so often Lidles have double action pumps for sale for mini-money :z16. Argos also do them. I use these on my big caddis (same as Hamishes) which has funny valves to so you put a length of appropriate dia hose - I've 'aquired' :shock a 2-3"  length of gas tubing from my school which fits over the valve (it also fits over my mates Shakey) and the fitting on the pump. Takes about 2 mins to fully inflate my caddis. :grin However being a lazy blighter :oops I've bought a wee electric pump from tesco which works off  mains or car sockets (honest I've just had a heart artery fixed) and this takes the hard work out of it.

Goolager

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 21:49:11 PM »
Hi ACW,

I always inflate my S/Spear Exped. by mouth and although IMHO the process is surprisingly quick I must admit that I can get a bit giddy when I'm excited and try to inflate it too quickly. That said a hand/foot pump (or electric!) is a reasonable solution for introducing the 'volume' before pressuring up by mouth.

I just acquired a section of 16mm I.D. tubing which I used to top up the 'old lady' on the fin on Saturday & I'll use this to give the pumped inflation method a go tomorrow.

Don't put it in the classifieds - she won't let you down.

Thank god for decent valves - I remember blowing up two lilos on my last holiday and I had to sit down for a good 40 min's after!

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 23:46:08 PM »
Hi folks :cool:

Be careful with pumps, I have mentioned this in the past and Steve does so in the instruction leaflet that comes with a new Sparton float tube ....... lifejacket style valves do not like pumps :roll and should only be inflated by mouth :z6 or after a number of inflations they start to leak.

Something that I have noticed, but forgotten to mention before :oops is that this is one of the big differences between a Sparton and the Shakespeare :z17 The earlier Sparton float tubes had silver grey bladders which Steve made "in house" and these had valves with a larger diameter which were much, much easier to inflate by mouth ........ very easy in fact!

The Shakespeare yellow bladders have a smaller valve which feels more restrictive when inflating and in my experience requires about twice as much "puff" :shock

I have also noticed that since the Shakespeares came on to the market, Steve has started to use these yellow bladders in some of the Spartons :cry so to be honest, if I personally were ordering another Sparton from Steve, I would make a point of asking him to make sure that it is fitted with his original bladders.

Hope you find this useful
Best wishes
Mike Barrio
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum