Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Rankine

New Breathable Chest waders
« on: 25/09/2008 at 16:59 »
Hi All,
         Looking for a new pair. Anyone recommend good ones around the £100 mark ? (so not Vision).
Not Ron Thompson , crappola, Hardwear turned out to be software.
Snowbee possibles, Rapala ???!

Hamish , did you say at Lintrathen that the Airflo ones were not recommended ? or was that the Grey's ???

Any feedback anyone ?

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

Re: New Breathable Chest waders
« Reply #1 on: 25/09/2008 at 17:29 »
I have been using the Wychwood ones for a season and a half now. No leaks, well put together. Bearing in mind I use mine for Pike fishing so lots of walking, kneeling and climbing fences etc. I also put them on at the house..fish the whole day then drive home in them. Previous to this I used there "All Season" waders which had a neoprene lower and breathable upper. I had them 3 years before they went between the legs. It was the neoprene, not the breathable bit that went.

I paid £60 for the breatables as i did not need the boots. I think they are £100 with boots. Double lined lowers, comfy braces etc etc.

http://www.wychwood-game.co.uk/waders.html

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 25/09/2008 at 17:51 »
Paul

I have pair of the Wychwood they are OK but leaked at the foot seams , aquashure did the trick though , free delivery from ReelsNDeals. It was the Greys Hamish had problems with.

http://www.reelsndeals.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Wychwood_Chest_Waders_834.html 

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2008 at 19:02 »
Cheers Guys ,

Thanks a lot for that .

Pity about the leaks , I don't think I,ve ever bought a wader that didn't leak at sometime. I suppose it's like most things , you get good ones and not so good ones.

Most of my waders up end looking like Aquasure City at some point.

Any more recommendations anyone ?

Am I the only one who gets pissed off at the prices some manufacturers are asking , (even with a GAIA discount ? ) :roll

Paul.

PS: Already checked your resident American discount house Jim , nothing there of interest so far !!   :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 25/09/2008 at 19:36 »
Paul

Scroll down this link there are breathables for £50.

http://www.yga.yorks.com/acatalog/XMAS_OFFERS_-UPTO_50__OFF.html

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 25/09/2008 at 19:56 »
It was Greys G-Series waders Paul, I'm on my third pair (fair play to John Norris who have replaced them without quibble) and they've each religously 'let go' after their 3rd outing  :z6 :mad

Latest pair leak after trip 2, but nowhere near as bad as their predecessors.

I'm looking at an Orvis pair, but to be honest a lightweight pair of neoprenes might be the alternate. Diverdave was looking at having some made, so will maybe wait and see what he comes up with :z16

Hamish  :z3

goosander

« Reply #6 on: 25/09/2008 at 21:17 »
Second pair of Snowbee boots faling apart after a couple of months.
Breathables leaking after one months use.
Have given up hopeing to find a pair that does not leek after a couple of months

Paul Rankine

« Reply #7 on: 25/09/2008 at 22:41 »
Hi ,
      Thanks again to All,
                                  Jim, very tempted by the Klobba stuff. Only heard good things about them .

Hamish, funny that I thought the very same thing myself, light neoprene with a tough breathable outer , and a five year guarantee (!) , would sweep the market.  :grin

Ian, Snowbees have a good name but I wonder how much older stuff is sold , (maybe on E-thingy) , which is past it.

Waders , EH ! , Probably one of the greatest fishing problems of our age .  ???

Paul.

PS: Also very attracted to Orvis , (with my discount) ,but unfortunately had a few bad wader experiences  with them , especially with the top ends of their range .  :roll

PPS: Why don't manufacturers offer a return scheme if faulty , or even if they leak , like broken rods , for example. Some cost as much .

Answers on a postcard , or here , please.

stickleback

« Reply #8 on: 25/09/2008 at 22:47 »
I've got Orvis Clearwater breathables which have performed well over the last couple of years.  I think they normally sell for about £160 but with the sale on at their Banchory shop they might be down to a price nearer your target.  I seem to recall mine costing £120.  I've heard Orvis have a no quibble guarantee but thankfully I've not had to try it !  Give the shop a phone if your interested.

Just noticed I'd typed this as you were typing about your not so good experiences with Orvis  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 26/09/2008 at 09:10 »
PS: Also very attracted to Orvis , (with my discount) ,but unfortunately had a few bad wader experiences  with them , especially with the top ends of their range .  :roll

PPS: Why don't manufacturers offer a return scheme if faulty , or even if they leak , like broken rods , for example. Some cost as much .

Orvis does!! :z16 I have been in the Banchory shop several times when someone has come in with a pair of leaking waders. Replaced without quibble! Infact, one lucky visiting lady (so she had bought her waders else where) was given a free upgrade as they did not have a pair that fitted her in the model she had.

However...I am not in there "that" often..so to have seen several pairs of waders come back means there must be a high failure rate.  :z8

Peter McCallum

« Reply #10 on: 26/09/2008 at 17:40 »
Paul you can't beat visions IMHO. I've a pair of the (now discontinued) flyweight waders for almost 10 years - they only started leaking 2 seasons ago after using them tubing for a couple of seasons as well as wading/walking/bosting. Can't recommend them highly enough

Dutchfly

« Reply #11 on: 26/09/2008 at 19:33 »
Have my pair of Simms Goretex waders for over 10 years now, never had a problem with 'em. When they last you that long, are they really an expensive pair of waders?

Regards,

Jeroen

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 26/09/2008 at 20:13 »
Jeroen

Yes you have had good value if they lasted 10 years , were they boot foot or stocking foot , all my problems with waders have been with leaks in the foot seams.

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 26/09/2008 at 20:29 »
.....all my problems with waders have been with leaks in the foot seams.

Interesting, my problems with the Greys G-Series seem to be confined to the knee area only  :z10

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 26/09/2008 at 20:37 »
Interesting, my problems with the Greys G-Series seem to be confined to the knee area only  :z10

Hamish , the thought crossed my mind that as  I  always experienced the leaks after "tubing". Did  the designers probably  not take this into account , obviouslly when tubing you are puting more stain on the foot seems with the constant flipper action or am I puting 2 + 2 together and making 5  ?

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com