Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

DruBuc

More Help required on buying Rod
« on: 18/09/2008 at 21:30 »
Was thinking about buying a travel rod.(Just got motorbike and trying to justify to the wife that i can use it to go fishing,)

Looking for info on 6/7 piece travel rods, just peoples general opinion.

Are they as good as 2 or 3 piece.

I am currently using a Greys M2 Flex 9ft 6 6/7 weight would the action in the travel rod in the same weight fell similar.

Jim Eddie

Re: More Help required on buying Rod
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2008 at 21:50 »
Dru

I've got a couple of different travel rods you can try . The Mach Brown Hidden Water 5# which is a great rod . I also have a couple of Flextec rods from E-bay which at around £45 are tremendous value.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=flextec+wilderness

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2008 at 22:45 »
Hi,
     Agree with Jim. Well made multi-piece rods offer everything in convenience and sacrifice little in performance . Is,nt there a March Brown Hidden Water 5# up for sale , at a sale price, on this website.
I would have bought it myself if it were not for the forest I HAVE ALREADY .   

No connection with the seller by the way .

Paul.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2008 at 09:19 »
DruBuc,
For a long time my only form of transport was a Vespa Scooter, then a CBR 600 so well used to carrying rods on a bike :)

Firstly i can tell you what NOT to do...and that is try to ride with a beach caster slung over your shoulder! I lost the tip somewhere between Auchenblae and Stonehaven!  :oops I have managed 3 x 12' pike rods, but its not pretty and it was only for a short distance.  :grin

I managed ok with a 4 piece rod (lots more to chose from on the market) in a tube. I either placed it into a rucsac on my back, or bungeed it to the seat so it ran along the seat..if that makes sense? If you have a trials style bike I have seen people fix a tube to the rear of the bike pointing up the way, then slide the rod tube into it. If you have a tourer with panniers you can bungee it across the seat and the top of the panniers :) A 4 piece 9 footer works out about 30" is you include the tube, maybe a bit less, or 27 inches without a tube.

Plenty of 4 piece rods in the Orvis Sale in Banchory :)

Hope that helps a little.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com