Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Ardhuncart Fishings update
« Reply #15 on: 02/10/2008 at 23:51 »
Back in to the interweb after a bit of restricted access

I think the Ardhuncart situation is most unfortunate. I know Hamish will have done his best and I have some sympathy for him but the access that is being provided is shocking and I really think that the syndicate and Mr Brown are a disgrace. Since they are in breach of the PO, I am tempted to get a few of my ex-mining neighbours in a minibus up for a visit next season if access arrangements do not change. With rights come responsibilities.
Some might ask why I am so concerned about acces to a river I don't fish anymore because I now live in Fife but I reckon it is the thin end of the wedge. there have been access issues on some of the Tay beats and I do know that the Tay board have threatened them with removal of them from the PO order.
It is a sad day when the goverment in their wisdom have provided the ordinary man with access to fish but certain individuals think they are above the law. Hang isn't that the way it has always been?

Hamish I appreciate the info wherever you post it. Thanks.

Hi Ian

The picture is not quite as clear cut as that, syndicates are not necessarily in control of all access matters and very often have to follow the guidelines set out in their lease ...... I know of at least one beat on the river where this is the case :wink

"access to fishing" issues are being worked on throughout the river system, but these cannot be solved overnight and a little patience is required.

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Paul Rankine

« Reply #16 on: 03/10/2008 at 20:38 »
To those it may concern ,

these cannot be solved overnight and a little patience is required.

Amen .

If you are geniunely concerned about Don access to trout fishing or indeed anything else covered by the Protection Order why not contact Hamish directly for info, or even offer your help.

It's always easier to criticise or to try and diminish other peoples efforts ,not so easy to try and accomplish something meaningful.

Like everything in life there are those who talk and there are those who DO.

Hamish and everyone involved in the Don improvement group deserves the wholesale support of the Scottish angling community .

Paul.

zeolite

« Reply #17 on: 03/10/2008 at 20:50 »
Paul...I do talk to Hamish, although not lately, and I have every sympathy with what he is trying to achieve and I have said this in my last post. I cannot be more help as I live too far away and spend too much time offshore. (I think you noticed my absence.) What I have no sympathy for is people breaching the law. If people were fishing illegaly the likes of Mr Brown would be the first to start screaming for the police. Why does it have to be one way? I call that hypocrisy.

Mike...I think a whole season is patience enough surely? I know that there are things going on behind the scenes but it seems that at the end of the day bigger sticks are required.

SAY

« Reply #18 on: 03/10/2008 at 21:18 »
Back in to the interweb after a bit of restricted access

I think the Ardhuncart situation is most unfortunate. I know Hamish will have done his best and I have some sympathy for him but the access that is being provided is shocking and I really think that the syndicate and Mr Brown are a disgrace. Since they are in breach of the PO, I am tempted to get a few of my ex-mining neighbours in a minibus up for a visit next season if access arrangements do not change. With rights come responsibilities.
Some might ask why I am so concerned about acces to a river I don't fish anymore because I now live in Fife but I reckon it is the thin end of the wedge. there have been access issues on some of the Tay beats and I do know that the Tay board have threatened them with removal of them from the PO order.
It is a sad day when the goverment in their wisdom have provided the ordinary man with access to fish but certain individuals think they are above the law. Hang isn't that the way it has always been?

Hamish I appreciate the info wherever you post it. Thanks.

Gents,

Excuse my ignorance on this thread but what does the Don PO actually say..????  Where do you obtain a copy...????

I searched on the internet for this and the Statutory Instrument mentions that under the Don PO, those fishing for freshwater species within the Don catchment are required to have written permission to do so.  Which I assume basically means that to fish for Brown Trout on the Don you are required to have a permit (written permission) as in the same way when fishing for Salmon and Sea Trout.

Forgive me If I'm wrong but are there not other syndicates within the river where access is restricted and possibly no details on how to obtain access...??

SAY

Hamish Young

« Reply #19 on: 03/10/2008 at 21:36 »
Gents,

Excuse my ignorance on this thread but what does the Don PO actually say..????  Where do you obtain a copy...????

You can get a copy here: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1990/Uksi_19901971_en_1.htm
As it is a legal document I am unable to provide a freebie copy  :z6

I searched on the internet for this and the Statutory Instrument mentions that under the Don PO, those fishing for freshwater species within the Don catchment are required to have written permission to do so.  Which I assume basically means that to fish for Brown Trout on the Don you are required to have a permit (written permission) as in the same way when fishing for Salmon and Sea Trout.

In essence a reasonable summary of what a PO is for  :z16

Forgive me If I'm wrong but are there not other syndicates within the river where access is restricted and possibly no details on how to obtain access...??

SAY

Indeed, I am in the process of finalising a letter to the Clerk of the Don Board with a list of those beats/syndicates/proprietors who are not providing reasonable or affordable access to fishing for Brown Trout following a letter I previously wrote the board outlining some of my concerns. If individuals feel that someone is taking the piss (for want of a more eloquent phrase) they should contact the RDBTIA (as principal point of contact, that would be me) and let me try to get to grips with it rather than reporting things willy nilly to the SE. A beat can be removed from the PO but it would be better to try and get a change rather than a loss - if you follow me.
A threat to the PO as a whole has been mooted in certain cricles which is frankly worrying.

There is more to this than just Ardhuncart and it is by no means certain the syndicate will continue with the lease on that water next year. So in '09 things may be different there.

Retaining the PO is of paramount importance to the future of the river, all of those with a legitimate concern for the river would do well to remember that.

SAY - if you need to have more explained I would be delighted to try and do so. My email contact for the Don is rdbtia@btinternet.com

Hamish  :z3

zeolite

« Reply #20 on: 03/10/2008 at 21:39 »
Thanks for that Hamish.

A bit of bedtime reading I think.

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 03/10/2008 at 21:42 »
Thanks for that Hamish.

A bit of bedtime reading I think.

It's interesting but, dare I say it, dated.
I would like a re-write but that is sadly some time off. Just wish I could dedicate my time to the subject 100% but sadly there's bills to be paid so my full-time job takes precedence.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #22 on: 03/10/2008 at 21:54 »
Hi Zeolite,

You make comment on the PO and the situation at Ardhuncart but have not actually  read the Order ?
 ??? ??? ???

Paul.

SAY

« Reply #23 on: 03/10/2008 at 22:02 »
Hi Zeolite,

You make comment on the PO and the situation at Ardhuncart but have not actually  read the Order ?
 ??? ??? ???

Paul.

Paul,
It seems that way and probably hasn't spoken to Mr Brown either.

Hamish,
Thanks for the information, very informative and best of luck with your efforts with the RDBTIA.

SAY

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 05/10/2008 at 07:24 »
I have watched this one with some doubt as to say anything.
However what i cant understand is why everyone is getting so wound up over Ardhuncart.
Most of the Don beats are as good as each other (although possibly at different times of the year :wink)
The only thing i can see is that Ardhuncart was probably the cheapest fishing on the river (day tickets)
It was restricted before in terms of numbers, so nothing really has changed except the prices, which are now in line with the rest of the river. Early season this still makes it a worth while trip.
As for the issue with the salmon anglers right of way- Whats new, i've fished the Don since i was 11 and it has always been like that.
The protection order is much missunderstood, By me also, until Mr Young got the details and explained it properly.
However The Don Trust once it has a good foothold appears to be the way forward.

It's like people getting excited about the mad rush of people going to fish the river due to the articles appearing magazines.
Has anyone ever noticed this happen, I haven't :z8
There are many rivers in the UK capable of producing fish like the Don and they do. Only difference is the Don has a grand history (i belive intended to keep the locals off the Dee) which is well documented. But as any of us who fish the river with any regularity knows, she doesn't give up her secrets easily. SO you have a choice learn to fish or find somewhere else, most people do the latter (once they've fished it a couple of times) unless they are local then if they cant do the former they just slag it off.

Anyway back to Ardhuncart, a lovely beat with good accessibility for those less able bodied. Plenty of nice fish. But like most places worth going ,you have to book. No change there then.

Perhaps we need another post about what is considered reasonably priced fishing, and what the expectations would be per pound? maybe we could compare this to the cost of tackle and how much you would spend on gear to make yourself cast better (itself an illusion :roll) Then Perhaps Cross reference the two to see where people priorities lie (might also indicate how susceptible to advertising we all are) :z18

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com