Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Ardhuncart Fishings update
« on: 11/09/2008 at 21:10 »
Hi folks :cool:

I've been following up the trout fishing situation on the River Don Ardhuncart Fishings since the subject was raised a while back.

I now have some feedback from Dave Brown regarding the availability of permits, so I'll copy most of the email below for you :wink

Hope you find it useful
Best wishes
Mike Barrio

( Copied from email )
I have now sorted the brown trout tickets on the Ardhuncart of the river Don they will be as follows:

1.                Two tickets will be available Tuesday – Thursday throughout the season with the exception of the month of August when no tickets will be available.

2.                The cost will be £10/day, and must be pre-booked by phone by contacting Dave Brown on 01224-777579 or by E mail contact david.brown4@psnworld.com. The tickets will be subject to availability on a first come first served basis.

3.                Permits can be collected and paid for the following day at Tyries Steading, Kildrummy, on the Honeybarrel road.

4.                All returns nil or otherwise must be posted in the collection box at the iron bridge West side after fishing or posted to the address shown on the permit as soon as possible afterwards.

5.                Precedence shall be given to Salmon fishers should they wish to fish a particular pool.

6.                All migratory fish both Salmon & Sea-trout caught are to be returned.

7.                Fishing is Fly only throughout the season.

8.                Parking is in the designated area’s only.

9.                All gates must be closed after use please respect the country code.

10.             All don fisheries board rules apply.

Hamish Young

Re: Ardhuncart Fishings update
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2008 at 07:52 »
Not sure the august thing works for me  ???

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 12/09/2008 at 08:35 »
I thought the "Salmon anglers are more important than you lowly Trout anglers" attitude had been banished to the past....

I pay more money for the privalige of driving a 4x4..does that mean I can drive to the front of the que at traffic lights?  :wink

I really must get out on the Don...I do like the river :)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #3 on: 12/09/2008 at 11:33 »
I thought the "Salmon anglers are more important than you lowly Trout anglers" attitude had been banished to the past....

I pay more money for the privalige of driving a 4x4..does that mean I can drive to the front of the que at traffic lights?  :wink

I really must get out on the Don...I do like the river :)

Yerp I'd also love to get a day out on the river, need some waders tho  :roll

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 12/09/2008 at 21:32 »
Hmmm ...... yes :roll

So I guess that means no trout fishing on any Monday, Friday or Saturday throughout the season and no trout fishing in August :z6

Plus a reduction to only two rods per day :z6

I could be really funny :z4 and point out that I notice in the email that "brown trout" has been given no capital, yet "Salmon" and "Sea-trout" have! ......... but it is not funny ???

Is it just me, or is this "silver tourist" thing on the Don getting silly :z8

Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 12/09/2008 at 22:04 »

I could be really funny :z4 and point out that I notice in the email that "brown trout" has been given no capital, yet "Salmon" and "Sea-trout" have! ......... but it is not funny ???

Maybe their his own trout (Brown.... gettit?? :z6)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2008 at 22:27 »
Maybe their his own trout (Brown.... gettit?? :z6)

Nice one Peter :z4  :z4  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2008 at 22:41 »
I should hasten to add that I like salmon fishing, I like sea-trout fishing, I like brown trout fishing, I like rainbow trout fishing and ( although the opportunity hasn't arisen for me for years ) I'm sure I would like sea fishing, pike fishing, carp fishing etc etc etc :cool:

The River Don is not in the same league as rivers like the Dee or the Spey when it comes to salmon fishing and it is about time this was accepted :z7
However ........ it is an exceptional mixed species river that can produce beautiful trout, sea-trout and salmon and this is what makes it special in my humble opinion :wink

Best wishes
Mike

zeolite

« Reply #8 on: 16/09/2008 at 13:22 »
I don't think that complies with the PO idea of reasonably priced fishing and fair access now does it?
It smacks of doing the very minimum to keep the PO order in place. Frankly it is taking the piss!

I am a mostly salmon angler I should say.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 16/09/2008 at 17:47 »
I don't think that complies with the PO idea of reasonably priced fishing and fair access now does it?
It smacks of doing the very minimum to keep the PO order in place. Frankly it is taking the piss!

Yup  :z6

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 18/09/2008 at 14:38 »
I spoke with Dave Brown this morning (he was returning my call), as I was just on my way to bed after a nightshift. As I had been up for 25hrs at the point he rang I hope I wasn't too 'fuzzy'.....

We discussed a number of things which give me concern with regard to the recent information that has been provided regarding the availability of trout fishing at Ardhuncart. I cannot break any confidences, but it would be fair to say that his hands are somewhat tied, particularly with the August access.

I feel that the ticket price they are charging is entirely reasonable when compared to the river average, which in itself is artificially high thanks to a handful of beats. As I said, the syndicates hands are tied a little and the current arrangements offer the best they can do, and it's better than some others.

I do still have some concerns, but having now spoken to Dave their heart is very much in the right place. I would like to think that things might change a smidgen in 2009, but there are other beats which offer less (if anything at all) and my short term focus will be on them and not Ardhuncart.

Hamish  :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 26/09/2008 at 00:21 »
I spoke with Dave Brown this morning (he was returning my call), as I was just on my way to bed after a nightshift. As I had been up for 25hrs at the point he rang I hope I wasn't too 'fuzzy'.....

We discussed a number of things which give me concern with regard to the recent information that has been provided regarding the availability of trout fishing at Ardhuncart. I cannot break any confidences, but it would be fair to say that his hands are somewhat tied, particularly with the August access.

I feel that the ticket price they are charging is entirely reasonable when compared to the river average, which in itself is artificially high thanks to a handful of beats. As I said, the syndicates hands are tied a little and the current arrangements offer the best they can do, and it's better than some others.

I do still have some concerns, but having now spoken to Dave their heart is very much in the right place. I would like to think that things might change a smidgen in 2009, but there are other beats which offer less (if anything at all) and my short term focus will be on them and not Ardhuncart.

Hamish  :z3

Thanks for that Hamish :z16

All the above makes sense now .......... Let's hope for some changes in 2009.

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 29/09/2008 at 19:31 »
It has been brought to my attention that readers of another forum have been looking for an update on what's happening on the Don - particularly with regard to the RDBTIA.
Sadly I am unable to oblige them on their own forum, members from 'that site' might like to know that some of the principals from this forum have had their memberships of the 'other site' deleted - me among them  :roll
No reason given, no email sent, no phonecall made.
One might have reasonably expected, bearing in mind the previous good relations I personally thought I had with the chief 'conspirator' of that site, that this would be unthinkable but sadly not the case  :z10

This means being able to provide objective and accurate information about what's happening with all things Don is really only possible via websites such as this, arguably with less of an agenda  :wink

However, I would remind anyone who has a legitimate query to get in touch.... my details are readily found on this forum  :wink

Paul Rankine

« Reply #13 on: 30/09/2008 at 13:05 »
Hamish,

"This means being able to provide objective and accurate information about what's happening with all things Don is really only possible via websites such as this" .

Methinks that statement was and always will be the case.  :z4

Paul.

zeolite

« Reply #14 on: 02/10/2008 at 23:19 »
Back in to the interweb after a bit of restricted access

I think the Ardhuncart situation is most unfortunate. I know Hamish will have done his best and I have some sympathy for him but the access that is being provided is shocking and I really think that the syndicate and Mr Brown are a disgrace. Since they are in breach of the PO, I am tempted to get a few of my ex-mining neighbours in a minibus up for a visit next season if access arrangements do not change. With rights come responsibilities.
Some might ask why I am so concerned about acces to a river I don't fish anymore because I now live in Fife but I reckon it is the thin end of the wedge. there have been access issues on some of the Tay beats and I do know that the Tay board have threatened them with removal of them from the PO order.
It is a sad day when the goverment in their wisdom have provided the ordinary man with access to fish but certain individuals think they are above the law. Hang isn't that the way it has always been?

Hamish I appreciate the info wherever you post it. Thanks.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com