Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

River Don September Fishing
« on: 10/09/2008 at 08:12 »
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of local know how here. I have heard it said in the past that the cream of dry fly fishing is April and May on the Don,which is common with a lot of rivers generally. However we all know that June-Aug can be dour during the day with all the long hot,rainless summers we get(not!). This Summer for me has been dire and the last days fishing I have had down here was 1st June on the Eden which was a superb days fishing. I have been out 3x in the evening on the Wharfe and each time had to come home early due to the deluges. It has been pants with high water practically continuosly.

September is generally reckoned to be the month everywhere that fishing picks up during the day with good hatches of Pale Wateries,Willow Flies etc.

What/where is the best fishing at this time of the year? Is it any good from Monymusk upstream........again the log book in the Grant Arms shows the peak Brown Trout activity fishing wise in April and May. How do the stretches downstream fish? Are there big fish feeding at the surface or are their heads hard down on the bottom this time of year?

Any advice or views would be most welcome,

Many Thanks,

Richard

Hamish Young

Re: River Don September Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2008 at 08:26 »
I recall suggesting you try the ADAA waters when you were up last :z17
I'd urge you to consider them again, although you may have a job getting through the salmon to reach the trout  :z7

Hamish  :z3

buntinbee

Re: River Don September Fishing
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2008 at 10:01 »
I would agree with Hamish regarding the ADAA waters, if you are fishing in September it should not be too busy during the week with salmon fishers though. In the past few years I have seen the best of the hatches during September rather than in the spring, the summer evening rises were the best I have seen for years too. If you are coming up and want someone to show you the water, please feel free to contact me on fergus64@hotmail.com.

John

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com