Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek McLaren

Re: buzzers
« Reply #30 on: 14/01/2009 at 23:52 »
Hi Derek

Good to see you caught some fish today :z16

It's raining here tonight, so I'm hoping that will help to sort the loch out :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Yeah mike it's pouring down here ,if it stays like this you will be able to open and let everbody have a play :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: 15/01/2009 at 06:05 »
One thing to watch out for is if the idicator or dry is too big it will cause alot of resistance when the fish takes the fly which in turn might cause lots of mouthing of the fly but less hook ups!
A floating line has very little resistance which in turn alows the fish to take of with the fly giving you time to strike, resulting in a better hook up rate  :wink

My sentiments exactly, I would even go so far as to say that lighter weight flylines improve the situation too :cool:
 :z15 :z15 :z15

Sandy

Jim Doyle

« Reply #32 on: 15/01/2009 at 12:06 »
From another place I know but worth a look http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32972. some very interesting patterns .  jim

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #33 on: 15/01/2009 at 12:16 »
Thats some nice looking buzzers.

Evenin' thrillseekers..

From the Buzzers in the classified section... for those of you who might wanna tie yer own ;) Don't ask me for any tips though whilst I'm floggin them :rolleyes:

Most of these patterns followed on from the 'Brancusi' buzzer, which I entered into last seasons 'Buzzer Challenge', and some of you will have seen before. I tried to keep the form as pure and simple as possible, yet still suggestive of the pupal profile. The hook profile seemed to say it all, and would no doubt catch buzzer feeders fished bare. I don't believe a bare hook is a fly though, or cricket. I still needed the coloured and translucent thorax though, so I started working out from the hook, rather than onto it, and consequently ended up doing away completely with any 'materials' as such. A slow build up of varnish, and the feintest hint of ink at the thorax complemented the Hayabusa profile in a very pleasing way. The combo of red ink and varnish gives a lovely glow, and when transmitted in the water brings light and life that suggests the surge of blood to the thorax as the buzzer ascends prior to hatching.

Anyway, that's enough of that nonsense.. Yes, they work! I caught many fish on this incarnation of the Brancusi right through last season - being particularly effective in April/May/June.

[SIZE="4"]The 'Brancusi' Buzzer[/SIZE]

Same Buzzer - Different light

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SIZE="4"]The 'Jelly Bean Buzzer'[/SIZE]

Another 'minimalistic' suggestive approach. This one followed on from the Brancusi, but with a bit more meat on the bone, and bringing more colour and translucency to the full profile.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next batched followed on from the 'Jelly Bean', with the addition of the cheeks/ 'wing buds' that appear on the natural prior to hatching, coupled with the surge of blood. Now we can get really specific with the colour combinations for when the fish get picky, or for those of you who wouldn't trust the simplicity of a 'Brancusi' !
Pointless giving any of the a name really, there's that many permutations possible.

'Solid Shuck'
[/B]

'Ribbed'
[/B]

A few options......

Tight lines

Rob

Derek McLaren

« Reply #34 on: 15/01/2009 at 12:26 »
now that is what you call flytying,the photos are amazing :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #35 on: 15/01/2009 at 12:31 »
now that is what you call flytying,the photos are amazing :z16

Why thank you very much..............I wish  :z7

Derek McLaren

« Reply #36 on: 15/01/2009 at 12:42 »
one day if you keep going to the lessons :z4  :z4  :z7  :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #37 on: 15/01/2009 at 12:49 »
one day if you keep going to the lessons :z4  :z4  :z7  :z16

hahahah yea. To be honest I think I could tie those, its just I have no patience for the varnish to dry lol

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #38 on: 15/01/2009 at 20:47 »
Thanks for that Cammy

Them i like, special the bare one, right up my street, now all i have to do is practice a bit :z4

:z18

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #39 on: 15/01/2009 at 21:20 »
How do you think they get that affect?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:08 »
How do you think they get that affect?

Mostly, well lit photography :wink

But i do fancy trying putting the dye into the varnish, but what do you use and does it just need a touch and then it blends in?

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #41 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:11 »
Hmmm iam puzzled, coloured silicone then varnished????
I will do some investigating tonight?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #42 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:14 »
Do you think if you used a pen on the hook and then varnished over it , it would work?

Must go find out :z7

Sandy

Derek McLaren

« Reply #43 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:21 »
Do you think if you used a pen on the hook and then varnished over it , it would work?

Must go find out :z7

yeah it works ,I have one drying  :z4

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #44 on: 15/01/2009 at 22:22 »
Must have evidence to support such claims Derek  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
Camera man please  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com