Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Re: buzzers
« Reply #15 on: 07/01/2009 at 22:53 »
I guessed they have been around for years, but when people tell you they catch on a buzzer it means nothing really.
A buzzer can be anything these days - there are so many variants!
And you get alot of stinges that tell you absolute rubbish and they are out there trust me!
The type of people that would say they were catching on something but really they were on the complete opposite  :cry
Never understood why
 ???

Anyway i think i will be experimenting over the next few weeks with straight buzzers - but no doubt it just a confidence thing!
Once i take a few fish on the straight hooks i will be confident to fish them again  :z4

Derek McLaren

« Reply #16 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:05 »
Hi Baz

I've noticed that a few of the "top buzzer fishers" that visit Haddo tie just as many on straight hooks as curved ones :wink

They don't say much about it, but they use them a lot and they certainly seem to work :wink

This is nothing new, I have seen them using them for years.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike, do you reckon more fish are caught using indicators with buzzers or fishing them normally, ie figure of 8 sort of style?

Barry Robertson

« Reply #17 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:07 »
I reckon if i stuck an indicator on it would prob cut my catch rate by half!

Derek McLaren

« Reply #18 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:11 »
I reckon if i stuck an indicator on it would prob cut my catch rate by half!

what about New Zealand style then  :shock,any thoughts :?

Barry Robertson

« Reply #19 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:15 »
New Zealand style is a good tactic to have!
I like this when there is alot of weed or fish just moving under the surface!
Mill of criggie is a good place for this when it becomes very weedy!
Hang a buzzer 3ft under a hopper or Klink  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:18 »
Hi Derek

Good question, I think it really depends on just how the fish want them on the day, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say without indicators. Fishing a buzzer under a dry appears to work as well as fishing them normally, I think under an indicator produces less fish.

This is probably a confidence thing and varies depending on the experience of the angler. To be honest, I think the angler using an indicator seems to focus on the indicator and perhaps misses everything else going on around them? :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #21 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:21 »
Hi Derek

This is probably a confidence thing and varies depending on the experience of the angler. To be honest, I think the angler using an indicator seems to focus on the indicator and perhaps misses everything else going on around them? :wink
Cheers
Mike

IMHO  :grin
I think that hits the nail on the head!
The tip of your floater is the only indicator one needs  :z16

Derek McLaren

« Reply #22 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:24 »
I have not really used an indicator much but it seems to be used a lot ,that will be my project for 2009  :grin,

any idea what are the best types  :?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 07/01/2009 at 23:27 »
I have not really used an indicator much but it seems to be used a lot ,that will be my project for 2009  :grin,

If you want to experiment Derek, try using a bushy sedgehog "New Zealand style" :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 08/01/2009 at 08:48 »

The end of your flyline :z16

Sandy

Derek McLaren

« Reply #25 on: 08/01/2009 at 09:23 »
The end of your flyline :z16

Sandy

I love nymphing etc but there must be some skill involved when using indicators,they cant all be chuck it out and leave fishers.

If it means chucking it and leaving it sitting i might not make it my  2009 project after all  :z6

clark

« Reply #26 on: 14/01/2009 at 22:14 »
hey monksmyre i have used an indicator a fair bit in th last few years  :shock mainly cause i couldnt detect the takes at the end of my floating line.There is some people who do just chuck every thing out and sit on a stool and wait but if use an indicator nowadays i will fish the rig just the same as i would without it . i would just use it to detect the more fiddely takes because i still havent mastered it . i would go with a big dry now though because i dont like the abominations that the manufacturers are coming up with , for example the thingamabobber which is basically a bubble float which i strongly disagree the use of unless its wee kids  :z4
just experiment alot and always vary your depths :z16
clark

Derek McLaren

« Reply #27 on: 14/01/2009 at 22:21 »
hey monksmyre i have used an indicator a fair bit in th last few years  :shock mainly cause i couldnt detect the takes at the end of my floating line.There is some people who do just chuck every thing out and sit on a stool and wait but if use an indicator nowadays i will fish the rig just the same as i would without it . i would just use it to detect the more fiddely takes because i still havent mastered it . i would go with a big dry now though because i dont like the abominations that the manufacturers are coming up with , for example the thingamabobber which is basically a bubble float which i strongly disagree the use of unless its wee kids  :z4
just experiment alot and always vary your depths :z16
clark

Cheers Clark,
Iwas oot the day at insch and caught fish on orange cheeked buzzers,I never used the indicator, i must give it a bash,I just want to feel the take to see what its like,

Barry Robertson

« Reply #28 on: 14/01/2009 at 22:27 »
One thing to watch out for is if the idicator or dry is too big it will cause alot of resistance when the fish takes the fly which in turn might cause lots of mouthing of the fly but less hook ups!
A floating line has very little resistance which in turn alows the fish to take of with the fly giving you time to strike, resulting in a better hook up rate  :wink
Did the make any sense??

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 14/01/2009 at 23:49 »
Cheers Clark,
Iwas oot the day at insch and caught fish on orange cheeked buzzers,I never used the indicator, i must give it a bash,I just want to feel the take to see what its like,

Hi Derek

Good to see you caught some fish today :z16

It's raining here tonight, so I'm hoping that will help to sort the loch out :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com