Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Another Angler Drowns
« on: 05/09/2008 at 19:20 »
I see in the news today that an angler drowned yesterday when he fell into the river Carron in Stirlingshire. This happened despite his companion calling the emergency services and trying to rescue him. It just shows it could happen to any of us , how many of us wear floatation devices when fishing a river ?

Now in previous discussions on life-jackets , Hamish ,who I regard as the Technical Expert, on these matters was not overkeen on the Englands / Snowbee type self inflation waist coats. Now personally I would be more inclined to wear one of the waist-coat style than the collar type normally worn.

I suppose my question is are the waist-coat type better than not wearing any safety device or just a waste of time ?

:z18

Jim   

Iain Goolager

Re: Another Angler Drowns
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/2008 at 19:44 »
Hi Jim,

Yes it was tragic.

I remember wading on the river Don @ Kintore a few years back and I hit this area where the current was very strong and the bed consisted of loose pebbles - one minute everything was ok & the next the pebbles were lifted from under my feet and I sank 4" or so which was enough to throw me off balance,  this coupled with waters force on my unstable frame seen my half tip-toeing  half bobbing down stream until shallower water and a safer foothold could be had.

It was a sobering experience. I swore I'd use a flotation device when in dodgy areas but years on I still don't wear one....I've no excuse now that I own one (for tubing).

I personaly don't like the waistcoat type, a combination of price & the fact that I already own two reasonably expensive waistcoats one for trouting and one for Salmon fishing. I'm sure Hamish said that they were heavy? can't quite recall. I think I'd stay with my Englands one as I'm used to it, even though it may be a hinderance.

Funny but when I was thinking about taking up SWFF I wandered if people use flotation device/ suits etc. what's the norm there? a much more hazardous environment ?

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 05/09/2008 at 19:55 »
The problem I have with some of the products is they're marketed as life jackets when they're quite clearly buoyancy aids - there is more than a subtle difference.

As a less than strong swimmer myself I personally think that if you're going to go down the route of a safety device then you should buy something that's up to the job, so that means something that has meaningful bouyancy when inflated.

I've just been called for my dinner so more on this later, but tragic to hear another angler has been lost.

Dave Gordon

« Reply #3 on: 05/09/2008 at 21:02 »
I have a stock of many of these and am happy to have a play day at Haddo, if Mike is happy. I am basically waterproof and, with a standby diver for safety would happily test each type. We could try a number of styles and test them upright and inverted. I would have to wear a dry suit, but can ge one with no added buoyancy.

I agree with H, in that that these are buoyancy aids, but this is so much better for the consious casualty. After testing many life jackets in a pool the hazard is that if the water is less than 5-6 feet deep they will not turn you face up, nothing will, as your weight and drag on the bottom will overcome the buoyancy of a life jacket.
To sumarise, in shallow water jackets will hold you up, but can hold you face down, indeed can trap you this way. In deep water a life jacket will hold you face up, and a buoyancy aid will hold you head up. In my opinion, selling and testing these in the water for 20 years a buoyancy aid is well suited to shallow waters, rivers and lochs. A life jacket is vital for deeper and open waters, the sea and deeper or larger lochs.

D

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 05/09/2008 at 21:16 »
Sounds like a good idea Dave

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 08/09/2008 at 21:30 »
Hi Dave :z16

Yes, that would be a great idea ....... the perfect way for folk to see what the different types actually do once in the water.

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com