Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Aboyne Loch Ide
« on: 05/09/2008 at 18:56 »
Got an evening pass yesterday so decided to fish for Ide @ Aboyne Loch.

Robs previous post regarding the sport to be had at the Loch on trout gear and traditional trout flies (and my ignorance as to the species) appealed to my new found desire for fly fishing diversification.

With the best will in the world I knew it was going to be a short session travelling to Aboyne from Altens and realising that darkness falls around the 8:30 mark.

Although I was as excited as a wee loon I must admit that the amount of weed present in the Loch coupled with the limited casting locations for the bank fisher did dis-hearten me a tad. That said the amount of fish showing all over the Loch soon brought fresh optimism.

I fished from a few likely spots but to no avail, with weed hook ups a bit of an annoyance. I could see gaps in the weedbeds but bankside trees and vegetation prevented me from making the decisions.

Another move produced a good few tugs/ plucks over a 5 min period and this got the old adrenaline pumping, eventualy leading to a nice Ide of 7-8" to the Black Pennel. (well, I think it's an Ide!).

Two nice fish each about 1 1/2 lb jumped in unison not 10' from me but I failed to hook either - oh well.

I managed another three fish two in the 7-8" bracket and one smaller @ 5" but with a few more good offers and the constant rises from much larger fish going on around the Loch I'm sure I'll be back again but in the 'Old Lady' (Float Tube).

I was using a 5wt outfit (wish I'd taken the 4wt) and would use the 3wt in the Tube - Floating line and two flies, Pete Ross & Black Pennel (3 fish to the P Ross)

I saw many fish taking flies from the surface and if I could have got in amongst them I'd have had on the dry.

Iain

Paul Rankine

Re: Aboyne Loch Ide
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/2008 at 21:06 »
Hiyah,
          Is that not a roach ?  I thought that Ide were longer in the body.

Just looks like a River Forth roach that I caught many aeons ago.

I could be wrong mind never having seen an Ide in the flesh .

Paul.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #2 on: 05/09/2008 at 21:58 »
From Google,

Ide (Leuciscus idus) - Orfe (Leuciscus idus aberr orfus)
The Ide and it's golden form, the Orfe are found in ponds, lakes and rivers. They have a relatively deep, somewhat flat-sided body, a rather small head and quite large eyes. The Ide is greyish blue to blackish green on it's back, silvery sides and a white belly with a deeply forked tail. It is not a native of the British Isles, being more commonplace in Europe.

Picture looks like Goolager's fish .

Wrong again..........

:shock

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 06/09/2008 at 01:59 »
Thats a young Ide...on a Roach of that size the anal and caudal fine are much redder and the caudal fin is forked rather than straight edged..its not until Ide reach around a pound that they start to "elongate" and darken up, becoming more chub shaped, with a large(ish) mouth.

As you can see on Iains fish, its darker and more blunt nosed.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 06/09/2008 at 10:00 »
GHRE,

It's my fault for only catching tiddlers! If I'd caught an adult identification could have been easier. :z12

First time i'd seen an Ide also

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 07/09/2008 at 21:43 »
Hi Iain,
            " It's my fault for only catching tiddlers! "  :z4   
Cheers,
:z18

Paul.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 07/09/2008 at 22:03 »
I thought it looked like a Roach too :z6, a decent one at that :z16
Very similar to the ones Daniel and I were catching this summer, even the position and shape of the lateral line, Mind you young Bream can look very similar to young roach as well.
Interesting to know that young Ide look like this for the future,cheers :z16

While we are identifying things what are these?

The location is a secret :wink

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 08/09/2008 at 08:41 »
That looks like a rather ish tank ;)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 08/09/2008 at 19:16 »
I can quite honestly say its not a tank.
What type of fish is that? :z4

Sandy

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 08/09/2008 at 22:23 »
Some sort of Mullet??

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 09/09/2008 at 08:16 »
I can quite honestly say its not a tank.
What type of fish is that? :z4

Sandy

Are you suuuuuuuuure ;)...Just the blue reflection looks like Actenic light, the same as i use on my Marine tanks for the corals.

I presume its salt water then?..judging by the bubbles (salt water "holds" smaller bubbles than fresh water)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 09/09/2008 at 17:38 »
We were in Cornwall the Sky was Blue :z7
And the water was salty :z16

Sandy

Cal

« Reply #12 on: 09/09/2008 at 18:09 »
My money is on thick lipped grey mullet, and you CAN catch them on the fly!!!

Paul Rankine

« Reply #13 on: 09/09/2008 at 20:18 »
Hi ,
      Bass ?
Paul.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 10/09/2008 at 08:58 »
Hi ,
      Bass ?
Paul.
:z16

Part of a large shoal we watched come into a very shallow inlet on the south cornish coast.
No bloody rods at the time either (mind you they spooked pretty quick  :z6), it was a nice spot for a picnic though :roll

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com