Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

esoxfly

Buying a float tube
« on: 03/09/2008 at 21:05 »
Hi folks,

I know this has been covered to some degree already - I've read the various threads.

The Sparton (£299) and Shakespeare (£117 new on e-bay) one sound ideal but what are the main differences between the two?

Is the Sparton much better quality or is it because they are kind of custom made for you with extras etc?  I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for (I know that's not always the case in fishing tackle) but I want a quality tube that will be safe and durable.

I'd like to be able to take it into the hills if that has any bearing on advice offered. :z2

Still trying to find the time to get out to Haddo for a wee shotty.................. :z10

Like the look of the Guide Drifter (£180) too - anyone know anything about it?

Thanks,
Chris

Hamish Young

Re: Buying a float tube
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/2008 at 21:07 »
The shakey version of the Sparton is just the same thing but built to a price (IMHO) the Sparton is still the best on the market for quality.

My suggestion would be to try out a few different styles of tube before buying, seeing what you can fit htme into for walking up and down hills may be a deciding factor for you :?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 03/09/2008 at 22:29 »
Hi Chris :cool:

Yes, there is a difference ........... BUT, Hamish is spot on, don't buy one without trying it first :wink

I have the Spartons and a Shakey at Haddo, which you can try out if you like?

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 04/09/2008 at 00:15 »
Hi Chris,

The guys are correct "try before you buy" when at all possible (as with all fishing hardwear but I will not teach my grandmother how to sook eggs).

I too initially liked the 'look' of the Guideline Drifter but because I couldn't find a decent review on it I wondered if it might fit into the 'lesser' Tubes bracket - talking from a safety aspect. I still don't know anyone who has tried one or even the spec. so I apologise to Guideline if I talk ignorantly of their product.
This led me to discuss tubes with Mike B. and read Steve Partons' reports on his endeavours to produce top of the range tubes with safety as a top priority - something which will be in the forefront of your mind when on 'open water' for the first few times.
His designs (Sparton & Shakey Expedition) have Tip Top bladders and Valves.

As I didn't know if Float Tubing was going to be just a fleeting fad ( I was born on land) the price difference swayed me in the direction of the Shakey Exped. which I think is absolutely ace - wasn't sure on the blues and reds, being a more tactical type of bloke but they've grown on me.

I got mine earlier in the year for £90.00 (Lochside Tackle) but I see that they are selling them now at £99.99 - still cheaper than most places and worth every penny.

Weight wise I don't know the difference but the sparton looks slightly meatier and it's made from 1000 denier material (if I remember correctly) and the Shakey is - I think - 600. which may be an issue if you are backpacking any distance with the tube.

By the way I spoke to Steve Parton prior to purchasing the Shakey and he fully endorsed it - naturaly.

I'm sure an outing at Haddo will settle your issues.

Float on Dude!!

esoxfly

« Reply #4 on: 04/09/2008 at 21:35 »
Thanks for the advice folks. :z4

Mike, I'm away to check the diary with my personal secretary and WILL be in touch soon to book a test drive  :z16

:z18

Chris

Andy Wren

« Reply #5 on: 28/09/2008 at 08:59 »
If doing on a budget Sparton will sell the Shakey at the best price ,I got mine for much less than GAC are quoting !
You may need to haggle ,I am a big fan of Steve he has looked after me well for a long time !

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 28/09/2008 at 10:37 »
As far as I can see the main difference between the sparton & shakey is the material for the cover. If your going to drive up to a water and money is'nt a problem then the sparton is top of the heap. If your heading into the hills then the spartons extra weight could be a disadvantage.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com