Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Wet salty fun ;)
« Reply #60 on: 11/09/2008 at 08:36 »
Paul, its the best fun I have had in years!!!

For a start you are fishing pretty much the unknown, for fish that pull harder than any trout size for size, over water that probably has not been fished with a fly before. Every fish is as wild as wild can be, no stunted fins or pellet induced bellies. Every time the tip slams over you dont know if its a pollock, coalfish, mackeral, wrasse, cod (biggest so far is 4.5 pounds!) or one day..please... a Bass.

In the pub in the evening I can sit there with the other fisherman and chat "fish"...normally I get the  "Great day, 4 rainbows, all about a pound and a bit" or "No salmon today, river to high, lo, dirty, clear, fast, slow" while I sit there quietly knowing that i have fished somewhere totally different and have not been on a stocked hole in the ground or standing in a river while someone tells me where to cast, what fly to use, makes my lunch, and even wipes my bum if I wanted them to  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :wink

Seriously..SWFF is the next black ;)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #61 on: 11/09/2008 at 09:41 »
Paul, its the best fun I have had in years!!!

For a start you are fishing pretty much the unknown, for fish that pull harder than any trout size for size, over water that probably has not been fished with a fly before. Every fish is as wild as wild can be, no stunted fins or pellet induced bellies. Every time the tip slams over you dont know if its a pollock, coalfish, mackeral, wrasse, cod (biggest so far is 4.5 pounds!) or one day..please... a Bass.

In the pub in the evening I can sit there with the other fisherman and chat "fish"...normally I get the  "Great day, 4 rainbows, all about a pound and a bit" or "No salmon today, river to high, lo, dirty, clear, fast, slow" while I sit there quietly knowing that i have fished somewhere totally different and have not been on a stocked hole in the ground or standing in a river while someone tells me where to cast, what fly to use, makes my lunch, and even wipes my bum if I wanted them to  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :wink

Seriously..SWFF is the next black ;)

I agree and have been bitten by the SWFF bug, BIG TIME! still haven't caught anything  :z8 but enjoy the challenge. And where did you get this 4.5lbs one Mr Rob?

I do however think the stockies have their place. If everyone was to jsut fish the rivers etc there would be no fish left to catch!

Rob will you make my lunch for me next time? give me the fly and tell me where to cast, need to catch a feckin sea fish!!!  :z13

Iain Goolager

« Reply #62 on: 11/09/2008 at 10:21 »
standing in a river while someone tells me where to cast, what fly to use, makes my lunch, and even wipes my bum if I wanted them to  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :wink

Rob, have you been fishing with my wife? :shock

come on Rob - Salmon fly fishing is ace! :z3

But I must admit I'm looking forward to catching my first Bass................where is it that I should try again?

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #63 on: 11/09/2008 at 11:18 »
Cameron, the cod came from Peterhead breakwater..had a few there now :) All taken on a lead core shooting head and fly brought up the wall on the inside of the harbour. Cast out...feed out the running line and some of the backing so it gets down deep, then strip fast!

Iain, Salmon fishing, ace??..Nahhh! Gave it up after 5 years of trying..loved the casting, the wading etc, did not like the cost associated with an empty river ;) The only Salmon i have taken have all been by mistake!!...and the only one that put up a "proper" fight was a grilse that took a dry fly on the Don :) I have decided I am going to have a "proper" day on the Dee, ghillie and all..when I have saved enough! :(

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #64 on: 11/09/2008 at 11:41 »
Cameron, the cod came from Peterhead breakwater..had a few there now :) All taken on a lead core shooting head and fly brought up the wall on the inside of the harbour. Cast out...feed out the running line and some of the backing so it gets down deep, then strip fast!

Iain, Salmon fishing, ace??..Nahhh! Gave it up after 5 years of trying..loved the casting, the wading etc, did not like the cost associated with an empty river ;) The only Salmon i have taken have all been by mistake!!...and the only one that put up a "proper" fight was a grilse that took a dry fly on the Don :) I have decided I am going to have a "proper" day on the Dee, ghillie and all..when I have saved enough! :(

So will we be heading up once iI'm back from Holiday? :D

I used to fish for salmon all the time, loved to (was handy living a stones throw from the Don, in Strathdon). Need to get out again some time soon, and for trout!!!

Paul Rankine

« Reply #65 on: 11/09/2008 at 11:55 »
Hi Rob,
          Yes, I agree SWFF is great fun. I,ve been doing it for about ten years now both here and abroad.  :z4

...... and........coarse fishing is great ........and  trout fishing is great ........and salmon fishing is great ......

.......in fact ALL fishing is GREAT !!!! :z4

Paul

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #66 on: 11/09/2008 at 14:53 »
Fishing is great?....yeah..I guess ;)  :z18

Paul Rankine

« Reply #67 on: 13/09/2008 at 01:31 »
ROB,

Fishing is great?....yeah..I guess

Come on now . You know it is .  All kinds.

.......even Salmon   ........

Paul.

PS; You should try fly fishing for Cobia , they are just soo much fun !!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com