Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Cameron deBoth

Re: Wet salty fun ;)
« Reply #15 on: 12/08/2008 at 20:43 »
I just tied up some CRAZY looking sea flies, totally made them up with what i could find and ive never made a sea fly before. Think I needed to add more weight to them but hey. Pics to follow, varnishing heads :D

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #16 on: 12/08/2008 at 22:28 »
as promised here is a pic of my attempt.

so its a mish mash of trout materials but I'm pretty happy with my use of what I had. YES I used paper, i highlighter and black pen to make the eyes hehe

thoughts?

Peter McCallum

« Reply #17 on: 13/08/2008 at 00:18 »
Can't see why they wouldn't work, but be prepared to tie up more cos I think they'll get ripped to shreds quickly.

Awrabestfurrafishinnatknow!!! :shock (glesga speak - was in weegieland tonight - funny how it all comes back.............)

peter :z18

Graham Strachan

« Reply #18 on: 13/08/2008 at 09:19 »
So how many budgies perished for all those feathers?!  :z4
Seriously though, iv just started tying my own flies and sadly some of the trout dry flies iv attempted have ended up looking much like them.
I  bet the mackerel will love the blue and white beasty!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 13/08/2008 at 09:23 »
They will catch..deffo! I tend to have some that are very "lifelike" and others that are litterlu 4 white chicken feathers with a bit of sparkle. If i am hitting Pollock/Saithe or coalies then I use the lifelike ones as those fish dont have teeth. If the Macks turn up then I switch to the "cheaper2 flies as the Macks have small needle like teeth.

As for tomorrow..do you know where Cove harbour is? Better to meet there I think because the traffic arround The Thistle is a nightmare just now and its been taking me 30 minutes to just get past the place the last few nights.

Also, I finish at 4 so i was going to go straight to the harbour and have a few casts until you turned up :)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #20 on: 13/08/2008 at 09:36 »
not sure where cove harbour is but I'll google map it, and see you there. Do you want to pm me your number incase i get lost hehe.  :z15

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 13/08/2008 at 12:06 »
Done :)

You cant miss Cove Harbour...if you do..you will get wet ;)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #22 on: 14/08/2008 at 11:31 »
Done :)

You cant miss Cove Harbour...if you do..you will get wet ;)

Had a look on Google Maps, shouldnt get lost hehe, Is Cove Harbour the smallest one in the world? If its the one I'm looking at its tiny hehe. The cars all packet and I even brought my wellies :D

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 14/08/2008 at 13:02 »
Thats the one...remember to stop though!..lol..Steep hill down to it, park just past the crane on the left

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #24 on: 14/08/2008 at 14:51 »
oh sheet, thanks for warning me I forget the C4 can only skate on ice not water in its Robot Guise hehe  :z16

nosrac

« Reply #25 on: 15/08/2008 at 10:43 »
Alright

How did you both get on at Cove harbour?

Use to live in Cove and have often thought about fly fishing in the gully to the left of the harbour.

really interested to how you got on!

Cheers
Carson

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #26 on: 15/08/2008 at 10:46 »
well was a good wee sesh, will definately be giving it another go, Rob caught a small Pollock and (said I was going to ROb) almost caught the smallest fish ive ever seen ahahahahhaha slashed at the fly as i was lifting it out.

The tide was going out so didnt really have much of a chance. Next time, next time  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #27 on: 15/08/2008 at 11:57 »
Ok..ok..so I got it wrong..I looked at the wrong figures on the tide table and arrived at low tide, not high!!..d'oh!
http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0038

Next time though :)...great fun all the same. I think i might have to use a lead core though as a super fast sink was no where near as deep as it could have been. The Pollock took a size 4 "Hollofusion" beige and white sandeel I dressed. About 4 inches long. Its strange to be fishing in the sea with flies that are considerably SMALLER than the ones I use in lochs!..lol

Next time Cameron, next time!! :)  :z18

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #28 on: 15/08/2008 at 12:05 »
Ok..ok..so I got it wrong..I looked at the wrong figures on the tide table and arrived at low tide, not high!!..d'oh!
http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0038

Next time though :)...great fun all the same. I think i might have to use a lead core though as a super fast sink was no where near as deep as it could have been. The Pollock took a size 4 "Hollofusion" beige and white sandeel I dressed. About 4 inches long. Its strange to be fishing in the sea with flies that are considerably SMALLER than the ones I use in lochs!..lol

Next time Cameron, next time!! :)  :z18

haha no worries, what time was High Tide???

Next time I'll be ready with some flies of a more suitable nature (gonna head to Summers tomorrow maybe). Also gonna buy some heavier mono as the rocks just CHOMPED throught my 6lbs flourocarbon stuff, save that for the trout hehe.

thanks again ROb, and let me know next time you fancy having another bash, also for the Pike you mentioned :D  :z13

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #29 on: 16/08/2008 at 14:04 »
ok well thanks to Rob and my outing I just went and spent £35 on tying stuff for SWFF hehe you better take me again ROb......  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com