Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Wet salty fun ;)
« on: 05/08/2008 at 13:11 »
Went to Cove with a 9 weight, shooting head and sand eel pattern flies...woohoo..fun!! Ok, I only briefly got attached to something unseen, but it was great fun none the less. I will be back :)

Really was interesting casting from rock ledges and stripping the fly back fast, waiting for a Mackeral, Pollock or hopefully a Bass to smash into your fly. Whatever it was i hooked steamed off at high speed with a real "rapid vibration" type fight..sure it was a mackeral...the speed was amazing...was on for only 20 seconds or so but my heart was pounding...can't wait for my next session!

Steven Sinclair

Re: Wet salty fun ;)
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/2008 at 21:23 »
 Cool, Im glad somebody else on the forum has taken to fishing in the salt in the north east with the fly road, I often fish off ''the backies'' at stonehaven during slack tide for seatrout if the cowie and carron are at there bare bones  :wink Just out of curiosity were you on a full floater?  I often use one of those Airflo forty plus intermediates (with a stripping bag as they are a nightmare for tangling) just to cut through the surface not really to fish at any more depth if you get me?  Where abouts at cove were you?  I have never experimented up there but have had manys a coalie and small pollack especially on big white ipns etc and generally white flashy lures (which the seatrout are more than willing to hit also if you can cover them)  :cool:

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #2 on: 05/08/2008 at 22:23 »
do you have to have a salt rod to do this as ive always fancied giving it a go! Would I get away using my Greys 7wt for a try? will the salt water damage the rod/reel/line at all?

I would also like to know where you went :D

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 05/08/2008 at 22:37 »
do you have to have a salt rod to do this as ive always fancied giving it a go! Would I get away using my Greys 7wt for a try? will the salt water damage the rod/reel/line at all?

I would also like to know where you went :D

Your 7wt should do just fine, the saltwater rod i use is a 9 foot peregrine which is rated for an 8wt but i used to use my 7wt sage and had no problems using it either, it all depends on the weight of the flies your trying to turn over etc but provided you dont use super heavy lead headed flies etc then you will be fine, most size 8 white trout lures and sparklers work just fine though specific larger saltwater flies may be better but these have done the trick for me so far  :z4 as for salt water damage i wash my rod, lines and reel thoroughly with fresh water as soon as i get home and have had no problem with corrosion etc as yet and have been using the same reel (an abel) for the past 5 years  :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 05/08/2008 at 22:53 »
yea if i ever get down to the sea i planned to give it all a good wash, as its a freshwater trout rod.

Dont spose anyone would fancy taking me for a cast one night or weekend. Never fished the sea from the bank let alone with the fly. Ive been on fishing trips with school all those years ago with feathers etc.

Might tie up some salt water patterns, will make a change from the small trout ones I normally tie. Not sure if I have big enough hooks, but I have a plan hatching for some Tube Salt Flies hehe. Thought? any takers to show me the coastal fly fishing techniques?

EDIT: im located in aberdeen :D

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 05/08/2008 at 23:07 »
  I get back from nigeria on the 15th i'll be tied up that weekend but im off for four weeks i'd be more than happy to go out for a cast with another forum member :cool: maybe get a small gathering of members together even?  Just a thought  :z16

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #6 on: 05/08/2008 at 23:13 »
  I get back from nigeria on the 15th i'll be tied up that weekend but im off for four weeks i'd be more than happy to go out for a cast with another forum member :cool: maybe get a small gathering of members together even?  Just a thought  :z16

yea that would be great, can manage most evenings and weekends so give us a shout when your back. I'll get tying some random sea fly creations!!!

Stuart Smith

« Reply #7 on: 06/08/2008 at 03:05 »
speeking about fly fishing in the salt.i was down my local beach(St Cyrus) a couple of days ago and had to flat fish on shirmpy patterns fishing in all the holes in the sand.even they put up a scrap

would love to catch bass tho.does anyone know of foke catching bass in the north east?

stuart

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 06/08/2008 at 15:25 »
Sorry for the delay in replying!

Right, I was using a fast sink shooting head on a 9 weight Orvis saltwater rod and Mach IV saltwater reel...BUT..i used to use an 8 weight reservoir rod and standard Magnum reel.

Lines are Rio shooting heads OR Airflo Striper cold saltwater floaters and intermediates.

As for Bass..I am not saying anything..it gets me into trouble..but yes, you can catch bass on the NE coast.

Luckyshott...if you fancy a few hours after work, I am up for it!

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #9 on: 06/08/2008 at 16:00 »
Sorry for the delay in replying!

Right, I was using a fast sink shooting head on a 9 weight Orvis saltwater rod and Mach IV saltwater reel...BUT..i used to use an 8 weight reservoir rod and standard Magnum reel.

Lines are Rio shooting heads OR Airflo Striper cold saltwater floaters and intermediates.

As for Bass..I am not saying anything..it gets me into trouble..but yes, you can catch bass on the NE coast.

Luckyshott...if you fancy a few hours after work, I am up for it!

Yea that would be great, I work in Tullos so handy for the coast. Think it will have to be a night next week as I'm booked up this week haha. Im starting to worry that i'll ruin my New Greys Freshwater trout rod with all the salt, reassure me again if i give it a REALLY REALLY good wash after it will be ok hehehe  :z13 Where would you suggest we meet up and go?

clark

« Reply #10 on: 10/08/2008 at 19:22 »
Hey boys just came back from west coast holiday with the family and boy oh boy did i do alot of fishing (most on the fly:z16) and i ihad some great sport. It was mostly pollock and coalies the biggest being around 4 pounds so there was nothing big but there was also the odd mackerel thrown in so it was great fun  :grin The only flie that i used though was a polar fibre minnow tyed up in sandeel colours, they didnt like anything else i chucked at them so i was a bit stumped on that one but overall it was great fun with me catching in excess of 70 fish all on the fly  :z16 :z12

clark

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 11/08/2008 at 11:59 »
Yea that would be great, I work in Tullos so handy for the coast. Think it will have to be a night next week as I'm booked up this week haha. Im starting to worry that i'll ruin my New Greys Freshwater trout rod with all the salt, reassure me again if i give it a REALLY REALLY good wash after it will be ok hehehe  :z13 Where would you suggest we meet up and go?

I work in Altens so easy enough to hit Cove or some such place!

Cant reassure you about the Greys I am affraid...a few years ago yeah..not sure these days. The only bit you need to worry about is the reel seat. I have heard of folk lightly oiling the seat with WD40 or such like before fishing in the sea..but for infrequent visits a good wash should be ok. :)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #12 on: 11/08/2008 at 12:16 »
I work in Altens so easy enough to hit Cove or some such place!

Cant reassure you about the Greys I am affraid...a few years ago yeah..not sure these days. The only bit you need to worry about is the reel seat. I have heard of folk lightly oiling the seat with WD40 or such like before fishing in the sea..but for infrequent visits a good wash should be ok. :)

Cool so just up the hill from me, I'm still really up for this and im sure the rod will be ok for one shot in the salty depths. If I really get into it I might buy a salt rod in the future. OK so Im free every night this week if you are? Would it be an idea to meet in the Thistle hotel car park or somewhere like that? just after 5, thats when I finish.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 11/08/2008 at 15:04 »
Would it be an idea to meet in the Thistle hotel car park or somewhere like that? just after 5, thats when I finish.

That sounds dodgy!..lol...

Thursday seems a good bet..High Tide is just before 6pm..better to fish an incomming tide but it should give us some action.

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #14 on: 11/08/2008 at 15:13 »
ok sounds good, and to make it sound even worse i'll end by saying "Its a date".

Will see you in the carpark a wee bit after 5? I'll be in a C4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com