Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Chad

Help matching the evening hatches
« on: 23/07/2008 at 21:37 »
Hello,

I was out at Inverurie last night fishing the evening rise.  I fished two different pools, and in both cases I did not seem to be able to get a fish to take my dry fly with any consistency.  There were several fish rising in both pools I was fishing.  I did have one decent fish on the line for a few seconds, but he managed to throw the hook.  They did not seem spooked by my casts, because they continued rising for the most part during and after presentations.  So, I am seeking some advice to help me get some more takes to my dry flies during the evening rise.  The situation in the two pools differed as follows:

Pool #1: Appeared to be more of a midge type of rise, where the fish were sucking something out of the surface film.  I even thought I saw some head to tail type of rise forms.  I could see lots of tiny flies around and coming out of the water, but could not grab one to inspect further.  Any idea what this type of fly can typically be on a summer's evening and what kind of patterns can fool the fish?

Pool #2:  Looked like a lot of small caddis flies skittering around, but again I could not grab one.  What species of Caddis hatch in the evenings this time of year and what patters work well?  I was trying some general klinkhammers and parachute dry flies.  I had the one take but nothing else. 

I know I don't have the most detail to describe the hatch here, but any help/advice you could give would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad

Sandy Nelson

Re: Help matching the evening hatches
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2008 at 09:57 »
HI Chad

Bit slow to this one, sorry :roll

This time of year, the fish are probably sipping spinners, size 18 spent orange spinner will be the biz :z16
if that fails to generate any interest then i would bet all my gear they are taking tiny buzzers, size 24/26 black or yellow.
Very hard to keep them on, but lots of fun getting loads of takes :z16

Give both methods a try, the spinners will pick you up the better size fish.
If you are fishing Inverurie, try the urie at this time of year especially the upper end with the orange spinners, some great fish even since they have built the housing estate :mad which has changed the attitude of the river quite a bit.

Have fun

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

Re: Help matching the evening hatches
« Reply #2 on: 31/07/2008 at 16:19 »
some great fish even since they have built the housing estate :mad which has changed the attitude of the river quite a bit.

Have fun

Sandy

Funny you should say that! was in Sloans last weekend and got talking about that very subject. They where saying when it rains the river near the houses turns the colour of sand..presumably run off from the building works..and its leaving deep silt deposits and filling in the pools. Not good!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com